• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TSX, London Stock Exchange to merge

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the motivation for such a merger? What are the pros and cons of it??
The TMX Group, operator of the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Toronto Venture Exchange, has agreed to merge with the London Stock Exchange Group. The merger would create the world's biggest stock exchange, with more than 6,000 companies traded, including the vast majority of the world's publicly traded energy and resource companies.The TMX Group is valued at $2.99 billion, while the London group's value is around $3.25 billion. The combined transatlantic group would be jointly headquartered in London and Toronto.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A merger of the TMX and LSE exchanges would result in the largest mining and natural resource listings in the world. London has a weakness in Derivitive trading which TMX has lots of experience their Montreal operations.

From the point of view of a company listing on a combined exchange, means a much bigger access to capital. I don't see a lot of change because companies will list on the exchange closest to home, the back end IT departments will merge.

Of course the wooly headed Canadian Economic Nationalist set will weigh in with their two cents which means our collective media will be crowded with their shrill arguments and of course the political class are in election mode so you can guess how this will shake out.

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
As long as we don't go back to being ruled by the British, I'm ok with it.

Currently 3rd year studying economics and finance. As Mr. Smith said, it will likely create more access to capital for companies in both exchanges. I wouldn't be surprised if it led to higher foreign investment from each country to the other. If foreign investment does manage to increase the exchange rates of the Canadian Dollar and British Pound might lose power. This is all speculative, though; it's probably not going to change much.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live in a global economy now so I guess it makes sense that mergers such as these are occurring. I imagine one day all exchanges will operate as one.

Money never sleeps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads