• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to decide my next Allen Edmonds purchase...

jrsmiles

Reaction score
I'm about to order a new pair of AE's. I currently own a pair of Byrons in black, and McAllisters in walnut. I also have a pair of brown J&Ms that are starting to show some wear. I have a short list, but I can't decide what to go with.

I'm bored, so I'll lay out my reasons. I'm going with a shade of brown, and leaning towards brown burnished calf or maybe another walnut. I also like the saddle brown color, but there isn't much offered in that. I'm looking at these styles in no particular order of interest.

Strand - I like this style, and in fact, I should have picked it over the McAllisters I currently own, but that's a tough call. I love them in the walnut color, but start to get turned off the darker they get. Dark brown doesn't seem to do well in this style, at least in my opinion. I would order these in a heartbeat, but I think it's too close to my McAllisters in looks, and I'd like to build up some more variety before doubling up.

Fifth Avenue - I like these a lot in the brown burnished color, plus they are on sale right now. I like them even more in walnut, in fact, I think walnut is my favorite color overall, but I can't always pull it off. Darker brown is almost a 'go-to' for a large part of my wardrobe.

Augusta - A newer style, but I really like the look. I would be limited to walnut here.

Charleston - More casual overall, and less detailed than Augusta, and again. limited to walnut. It is more plain than any of the others, but there is something about it that I like.

So there is my dilemma. This won't be my last purchase, but I try not to go crazy. I try to get a new pair every year to build the collection.

I'm starting to think the darker Fifth Avenues may edge out the rest. I think it is a good pair to have on hand for many occasions, and it will fit in well with my wardrobe and style. I think it may also be a good choice of another timeless classic. But that damned Strand keeps calling me!!

Ultimately I'll decide, but what are your thoughts?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not many thoughts, just one -- The Byron strikes me as remarkably similar to the fifth avenue, no?
195655_450_45.jpg
allen115809_58355_lg.jpg

jrsmiles

Reaction score
Strikingly similar. But the Byrons serves duty in black, and I'm looking for another brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads