• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to decide between A&E Jackson and Crocket and Jones Onslow...

contaygious

Reaction score
I tried on the Jackson today and really liked it. What should I do? Anyone wear this shoe?

1820.jpg

+ matching brown pebble Zegna belt
375+250+12% = 700 CAD

or

item1-54.jpeg

575+280(belt) = 855 CAD, but a chance they might not fit after 4 weeks of waiting

Which should I do?! I may get the Jackson in black down the road since I need a black shoe anyway, but I am pretty close to just buying them in brown and being done with my search for a brown shoe I can dress up or down....

Thanks for your time!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the problem here? Are you concerned that the Allen Edmonds is not as "brand name" as the C&J?

Since you wer able to try on the AE in person, and LIKED IT, why not buy it? Even though I'm a big fan of shell cordovan, I'd hate to get something by mail that's ill-fitting and have to return for exchange. Now if you are looking for shell cordovan, by all means get the Onslow, otherwise go with the AE.

contaygious

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to dress shoes and just want to pick the right one is all. I'm very new to these brands anyway as I'm more used to Prada/ferragamo/etc. I'm looking for quality not brand name
smile.gif
If the A&E are good quality then I will probably just get them, but just wanted to make sure since I heard so many great things about the cordovan onslow quality.

If you only had one dress shoe would you rather it be a cordovan?

Thanks for the response btw!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I'm pretty new to dress shoes and just want to pick the right one is all.

There is no 'right one'. Start buying your first, learn about and buy some more.

I'm very new to these brands anyway as I'm more used to Prada/ferragamo/etc. I'm looking for quality not brand name
smile.gif
If the A&E are good quality then I will probably just get them, but just wanted to make sure since I heard so many great things about the cordovan onslow quality.

If a shoe fits and you like it buy it!

If you only had one dress shoe would you rather it be a cordovan?

As I said before: buy one by one. And forget about buying a belt for 250, as long as you don't have the money to buy a second pair.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As quick as I am to defend AE, those ones can barely hold a candle to the C&Js. The stitching on the AEs lets them down totally. The C&Js are also cordovan and by that virtue alone should cost a heck of a lot more than the AEs.

Even in Australia you can get a pair of AEs for about 360 Canadian dollars. There have been discussions on this before but AEs are absurdly overpriced in Canada. If you buy from an outlet you can get AEs for about $140 USD for less.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no comparison. This is one of those rare times where the more expensive shoe is at least 575/375 times better (cordovan, stitching, build) than the less expensive. I don't buy the "having to return is such a pain" argument. If it doesn't fit at least as well as the AE (but keep in mind the double sole and the fact that it's a blucher will cause some heel slipping the first few wears), by all means return it and swallow the 10 to 15 bucks. The quality spread covers your risk adequately.

Please also forget about the belt, especially at those prices. A nice two piece shell one will run you around $200 at Brooks.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For God's sake get the C&J Onslow...i mean, please get the Onslow...please.
I will be very sad, like antirabbit sad..ie..puppy dying in my arms sad if you get the AE shoe pictured over the Onslow.

Regards.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to confuse the issue further for you, C&J makes a couple of cordovan shoes for Ralph Lauren. They make a plain toe blucher (almost the same as the C&J ashdown) in brown and a brouged wingtip blucher in brown. They're brown cordovan, as opposed to the burgandy, which fits your "brown shoe" requirement. I believe the plain toe could be more versatile from a stanpoint of dressing up or down. The key is catching them on sale. They retail for $695, but if you can catch them on the 40% & 15% sale they're about $357, which is a hell of a deal for C&J shell cordovan. I seem to remember someone mentioning a RL sale in May? I know they do the 30% off sale more frequently, which puts them at about $500, but someone who has been around here longer might be able to tell you when they'll do the bigger discount. Also if you search my previous posts you'll see pics of both of the RL shoes I'm talking about in one of the threads - I sold a both a while back in the B&S forum.

contaygious

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your help.

I'm not sure where you can get RL shoes in Vancouver, any idea?

As for the belt, most are around 250-350 here in Vancouver that I have liked and the Zegna ones are my favorite so far compared to 350+ armani, farragamo, prada, etc. Even the AE belts are 150 here in vancouver for crying out loud. I guess if I go with cordovan Onslows then I would be looking for a dark brown belt correct? I have never seen a burgundy one.

If I get the Onslows I could still get the Jackson in black when I need a black shoe, but since it's spring/summer I will mostly be wearing brown with linen pants/jeans, and colorful sport shirts. Does that sound like a good compromise?

Dang, I was leaning towards the AE before, but now I'm leaning towards the onslows...

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a RL Rugby store in Seattle, but I don't know if Rugby can get mainline RL stuff or not. The belt prices do seem excessive to me, however. Have you looked at Brooks Brothers or Sierra Trading Post or places similar?

Starting this weekend Brooks is having a 25% off sale for corporate card customers. If you can figure out a way to get the corporate card, you can pick up a burgandy shell cordovan belt for about $150 USD. Also, if you like any of the styles of shell shoes they have there (plain toe blucher, monkstrap?) I think the 25% off price is somewhere around $425. There's your belt and shoes for the same price as the Onslows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads