• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser break and cuffs for shorter man?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't pleats contradictory to emphasizing vertical lines? I mean.. the cress does constitute a vertical line however the whole hip area becomes somehow baboonish...isn't that inferior to say a slim straight cut without pleats?
Is it right that if they are reverse pleats, they wouldn't cause the hip/thigh to balloon and could reinforce the vertical line of the crease?

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
Is it right that if they are reverse pleats, they wouldn't cause the hip/thigh to balloon and could reinforce the vertical line of the crease?
You just taught me, very subtly, there’s 2 types of pleats. Thank you! Now, i don’t recall any of the MTM im familiar with calling out the pleat type. Now..looking for further education.. I stumbled on this article which IMHO is written wonderfully. And as extra bonus I also found the site intriguing as I do enjoy weightlifting. Who knows..maybe I’ll change my mind :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In general, if you’re not that tall, you’ll find that most tailors will recommend reducing horizontal lines especially in suits, that additional ticket pockets and the like and will recommend anything that emphasizes vertical lines, i.e. trouser pleats, stripes, narrow lapels, hacking pockets on the suit jacket, notch lapels rather than peak lapels, etc. Personally, I agree with the aforementioned statements that a trouser cuff is perfectly acceptable irrespective of height, although you may find that cuff-less trousers will visually stretch you just a bit more.
Broadening the chest and shoulder while minimizing the waist and hip elongates the look more than anything you listed. The silhouette does more and overrides other details to emphasize a vertical line.
Wrote the same thing earlier in this thread about the effect silhouette has on emphasizing a vertical line of the trouser. Same principle for a trouser or a jacket.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also seeking @Despos experience and advise! :) Aren't pleats contradictory to emphasizing vertical lines? I mean.. the cress does constitute a vertical line however the whole hip area becomes somehow baboonish...isn't that inferior to say a slim straight cut without pleats? it will be less comfortable pockets wise and/or maybe the pockets becomes unusable which will impact Italian looks with the jacket..but still if the idea is to give a taller figure impression.. what do you think ?
Pleated trousers we make have a very flat hip and no balloon like effect on the hip. When you see that fullness around the seat/hip, it's an indication of an imbalanced trouser pattern. It's using a trouser pattern that isn't meant for your body type or just a poorly devised pattern.
I cut pleated trousers with a slightly higher rise than a plain front.
Regular, forward pleats work better with an even higher rise and small hip figure. Reverse pleats work well for any body type and can help camouflage a big belly.

Last edited:

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I'm a slim 5'7" and have experimented with various cuff sizes, but find I keep going back to 2 inches with no break when wearing loafers which is the footwear I spend most my time in.

I've tried a 1" short cuff with more casual cotton trousers/chino's and I do kinda like that on very casual pieces. This is something I don't do often though.

On the other end of the spectrum I've tried around a 2 1/4" cuff. I thought this worked out fine, works better if the higher rise trouser also has a taller waistband and your jacket has a wider lapel or taller flap pockets. Those details would help keep the proportions of everything in line.

For some reason I don't like 1.5" cuffs, I much prefer 1.75". I think it's because it reminds of my old low-ish rise, baggy dockers I use to wear in high school and the hem was probably two inches too long.

I do forego the cuff on some flat front trousers, I typically will give those a little break. At the end of the day we're talking about 1/4-1/2 inch in difference and 99% of people won't notice the difference, so try some different things and see what you proportions you like that best.

Here's a photo for reference on my 2 inch cuffs.

1626802711788.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads