• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trendy/Fashionable Black "going out" shoe recommendation?

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
Fashion in general is simply not something I'm real knowledgeable about and don't really know where to start with this. I would like to buy some black shoes for going out/clubbing/dinner that are a lot nicer/current than what I currently wear.

Perhaps embarrassingly, I'm a bespectacled "artist" type that is usually just found in black shirts and Nordstrom jeans and as far as shoes go it's pretty much just boots most of the time. When going out to a nicer (or trendier) place I'm generally dissatisfied and feel my footwear (doc martens or whatever) will be out-of-step with what other guys are "rocking". That can be OK, but I guess I would like the *option* of being dressed to the level everyone else is.

It seems like men are wearing kind of squared-toed black shoes that I don't really know much about. But am open to *any* suggestions -- just want something basic and masculine and aimed for a younger 30-something that I could wear with a variety of things. Am up for spending a bit of money as I picture this as dresswear. I'm simply lost in the dress-shoe section--I simply can't differentiate quality, etc., to make a good choice.

Thanks!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
I would like to buy some black shoes for going out/clubbing/dinner that are a lot nicer/current than what I currently wear.

Perhaps embarrassingly, I'm a bespectacled "artist" type that is usually just found in black shirts and Nordstrom jeans and as far as shoes go it's pretty much just boots most of the time. When going out to a nicer (or trendier) place I'm generally dissatisfied and feel my footwear (doc martens or whatever) will be out-of-step with what other guys are "rocking". That can be OK, but I guess I would like the *option* of being dressed to the level everyone else is.

Thanks!

A black chelsea and/or a black monstrap would be my recommendations. My going out black shoes with jeans are (1) Bruno Magli Kent chelsea boots (not the greatest brand, but I got them brand new for less than $40 shipped - a similar version would be the Allen Edmonds Taunton chelsea, which has a sleeker toe) and (2) Allen Edmonds Cornell split-toe monkstraps (discontinued, but they show up every now and then on ebay - and AE now has a very similar style as well, the Allen Edmonds Thayer which is widely available). Other brands carry similar styles, so you don't have to get what I wear.

Other recommendations - High lace-up black boots (the Frye Brando engineer lace-up, or Alden black shell cordovan's come to mind) or the classic but boring blucher split-toe/moc-toe (Allen Edmonds Stockbridge, Denton, Burton, etc) or blucher plain-toe (an example would be the Allen Edmonds Leeds, or Alden equivalent, either in calf or shell cordovan).

If you're really gutsy, a black wholecut would work (Ferragamo Nostro, or Allen Edmonds Westgate)

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those square toed duckbill looking shoes are pretty much shunned here. Going with the black monkstrap idea above, this is a shoe I've been considering for myself. I think it's stylish and would work with a variety of clothes. Ferragamo Tramezza Monkstrap, found on eBay (I'm not affiliated with this seller, might buy it myself)

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. After looking at these (I'd never heard any of these terms, i.e., Chelsea, Wholecut, etc., before) -- the Chelsea boot is definitely something I could see myself in.

*Where* would you find those for $40 (as mentioned above?) That must have been quite a deal.

Anyway--perhaps now I know that term I can do a search on the site here for a specific shoe to buy in that style. If there are more recommendations in that specific type of shoe in terms of value, quality, etc.--would love to hear them.

Thanks again!

Vidi

Reaction score

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
*Where* would you find those for $40 (as mentioned above?) That must have been quite a deal.

Ebay. Iirc, magli was misspelled malgi, so not too many people were looking at it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at the top of this page is a link to YOOX.COM one of the sponsors of SF. They have a wide range of fashion forward shoes. As an alternate to a boot you might look at some of the oxford styles (a traditional shape that has laces) with some stylish treatments like destrested leather, and variations on shape.

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
at the top of this page is a link to YOOX.COM one of the sponsors of SF. They have a wide range of fashion forward shoes. As an alternate to a boot you might look at some of the oxford styles (a traditional shape that has laces) with some stylish treatments like destrested leather, and variations on shape.
Hmm...yeah--like one of the Paul May offerings in particular on this site after looking at it. Never heard of them though--wonder if the quality is there. Guess it would have to be on par with buying at Banana Republic or something though? Guess I'm partial to the matte leather look though.

jabreal00

Reaction score
As mentioned above, stay away from square toes. If you live in a city (NYC, LA, Chi, DC) you can find lots of shoe stores that sell decent quality shoes/boots. If you live in a more fashion mundane area and are a novice, I'd suggest perusing Banana Republic online shoe sections, they have some decent looking shoes for a decent price.

You'll never go wrong with wingtip oxfords or chelsea boots as starters. Just stay away from squared toes.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with the Monkstrap/Chelsea recommendations. If it were my money and I was going to spend up to $300 on something like this, I'd get RM Williams Craftsmans in Black or Chestnut. These would be the definition of "basic and masculine". And it bears repeating, check out this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For" going out":
I wear my black patent Dolce & Gabbana. I wear it with my Brioni Tuxedo.

64165763.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i would say these two are the best shoes for going out great with both regular pants and jeans
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Attachment 6487

Attachment 6488

and would both look equally great in black

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads