• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench coat owners: What details are a must have for trench coats? (Burberry, etc)

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
You could cut out the cloth along the inside facing from the last buttonhole to the hem and replace with another cloth. It won’t be seen when worn. Other option is to shorten the coat and use the cloth for a belt.
That’s a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I read the posts looking for solution to my problem but has not been mentioned probably because none of you guys are confronted with very short arms requiring SHIRT sleeve length 31.5":

How do I ensure that the local seamstress doesn't shorten my COAT sleeve length too short (like that wicked witch in Berne did to my Purdey tweed JACKET) or too long?

Somebody with so short arms like me cannot jab Tyson Fury so easily even if I wanted and with any coat trench or otherwise, and anything with sleeves find a seamstress who will shorten sleeves to the ideal length.

What is the best strategy to get the coat sleeves cut to the ideal length?
Maybe just measure the coat sleeve of a coat whose sleeve length pleases me and use this measure for the new coat sleeve alteration?

Question 2. What is the ideal coat sleeve length?
@Naive Jr.
First, be clear of what length you want, where on your thumb you want the coat sleeve to rest. Determine this yourself or look for pictures that look right to you.
There are two lengths for coats. One length when you wear the coat over a jacket and the other when not wearing a jacket and worn with a sweater or shirt. Length will look shorter when worn over a jacket and longer when not.

The coat sleeve should be longer than your jacket sleeves and rest somewhere on your thumb. I little bit long is better than a bit too short. How it relates to showing shirt cuff is irrelevant.

Another consideration is the length in relation to wearing gloves with this coat. I have short gloves and others that come up higher on my wrist. Sometimes the coat sleeve hangs up on the shorter glove and creates a gap that allows cold air to filter in. Annoying! I like the glove to fit under the coat sleeve.

When you know what you want, ask the person doing the work to mark the sleeve length, turn it up and baste it without cutting any cloth away and not finishing the work. Go back for a fitting and try it on both ways, with and without a jacket. Move around in the coat. If you wear the coat when driving, imitate that posture and see where the sleeve sits. Check the sleeve length against any scenarios of movements you will have when wearing the coat. That's the only way to know before anything permanent is done.

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear Despos,

Thank you very much!

I shall copy your text and study it.

You pointed what I didn't realize: if I wear a suit jacket under a coat, the coat sleeve length will be affected.

(Unfortunately, both my two new coats are tight in fit.)

Also your idea I ask the seamstress to first mark the cuffs and baste them up (a new word for me: "baste") sounds very good! I hope she will agree to it (?).

When I have written down your instructions, then I can reflect. My mind works slow. It takes me awhile before I get new thoughts. In this case I just need to think over your instructions.

Tomorrow with my ex-girlfriend I shall try on my two new coats which both have approximately the same sleeve length because both are sold by the same coat maker Crombie and are in the same size UK 40. I shall read to her your instructions.

If I were in UK I would have no fear about alteration. But here the clothes taste is very different and the persons doing alterations have no relationship to English tailoring - like aliens from another dimension in space.

PS: Sleeve buttons will be eliminated, ornamental without buttonholes. Thus no major surgery from shoulder seam to arm. If sleeve button vent completely removed depends on where sleeve cut.

Thanks indeed!

zanci

Reaction score
Made a few in the 90's. Used a Venetian weave wool. Epaulets were optional.
Not trying to be authentic or replicate a Burberry coat. Just made a few for clients who liked them. Feed back was good, coats were worn often. One client ordered a second one.
What's the price of this one?

Can you make a silk one? Why is silk not used, it shines beautifully (not waterproof?)?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the price of this one?

Can you make a silk one? Why is silk not used, it shines beautifully (not waterproof?)?
Why do you want silk? Do you know the current cost of a good quality silk?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads