• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling to NY, In search of Shoes, Jacket, Dress Shirts

SirSpiegs

Reaction score
First, pleasure to finally post something on this forum. Long time lurker. Second, I will be heading to NYC for the weekend and I am in serious need of professional shoes, jacket and dress shirts. I am transitioning from college to the professional environment and have to upgrade my wardrobe considerably. Im fortunate enough to have an BB outlet not far from my house and the salesperson there calls me when their 1818 shirts come in. My question to you all is this: Where should I go for the respective items? My old university had clothing made for them by Brooks and Vineyard Vines, just to give you an idea of my sense of style. My general budget is around $1500. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your maiden voyage of posting.

Were this later in the season, during the clearance sales period, you might get more for your money, but, as it is, from how you've described your personal style, you should concentrate your efforts on shopping along Madison Ave. north of 42nd St. Brooks Bros. is at 44th and Madison, with a branch of Allen-Edmonds across 44th St., and one for Alden around the corner on Madison. (AE has a larger branch on Madison and 55th, and J & M, if you are interested, is at Madison between 43rd and 44th, and at 54th as well).

For shirts and ties, you have the option of Paul Stuart (the very upscale option) at 45th and Madison, then Joseph A Bank (the downscale option) at 46th and Madison, with Charles Tyrwhitt (somewhere in between) diagonally across Madison from JAB.

I am sure that, among them all, you'll find things that will fit the bill.

SirSpiegs

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! As a bit of a primer I should add that my father, and his father have always shopped at Brooks. I know that they aren't that highly regarded here (from what I have seen). So, to refine things a bit, I am partial to Brooks (its familiar, I know it) but open to other suggestions style wise. I know very little, to absolutely nothing about shoes. So any/all input is appreciated. I'm not too familiar with Paul Stuart outside of a few college friends mentioning them from time to time. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the budget that you've stated, and the things that you're looking to buy, I don't think that you're going to be able to afford much more than tie(s) from Paul Stuart. Think of Paul Stuart as Brooks Bros. at a higher level of refinement, and a higher price point. You should take time to see the place, even if you won't be able to afford all that much - it will give you ideas for the future, certainly, and should incite a fair amount of retail lust (it usually does with me when I walk in the place).

PM me if you want the names of any of the sales help at Stuart's with whom to work.

SirSpiegs

Reaction score
Thank you for the comparison. I did a quick google on Paul Stuart and will be stopping in. Even if it is just to look/envy. I have a client that is extremely well dressed, and they can, and do appraise people in my field based on appearances. The one compliment they gave me recently was on my old college BB shirt and tie combo. Not being a native to NYC (Im in the Albany area) this is all extremely helpful, do you have anyone in particular you work with at Brooks? I will PM you about this as well.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What stores would you find deals on great dress shirts in NY?

I only know of Century 21

SirSpiegs

Reaction score
Wow, thank you. I will add that to my list. Should be a very busy Saturday.
biggrin.gif

AdamWill

Reaction score
I wouldn't say BB is badly regarded here, from what I've read. I think it's more just that they mostly do fairly conservative basics /classics with decent quality: that's a bit boring for the long-term veterans here, who graduate on to more 'esoteric' stuff, but for someone in your situation and budget, I don't think you'd be going wrong by going BB at all. I don't think anyone ever got fired from a 'professional' workplace for wearing BB.

SirSpiegs

Reaction score
My claim that BB isn't highly regarded here is cursory at best. That said, I've grown up with BB. Just never owned a jacket or suit from them. They did design some clothes for my university that I do own and am quite fond of. However, this upcoming trip is needed for my wardrobe and new position. So, while I was able to get by rotating a few dress shirts and pants previously; it's time to grow up (Employer and family). My only concern is that I am not a small individual. I have what many consider to be a 'swimmers' build. Very large chest, wide shoulders and a small waist. Ive been warned by a few people I work with that my particular build can make shopping a bit of a pain. Is there any truth to this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads