• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling and flying for the first time and I could use some help/tips

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a shopping tour, seeing all the stores that I don't have access to down here, and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to take any of the things that I bought home with me. I suppose I could have it all shipped back.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
why is that? you can check-in a plastic or paper bag, if need be. Just tape it up on the corners and tape it closed. I have too many suitcases, leather bags, etc, so if I go somewhere and unexpectedly buy something I often just check-in shopping bags now.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yo wtf, you are (I assume) a young white male... TSA could give two ***** about what you do. i fly a couple times a year and i don't even bother putting things like medicine or toiletries in plastic bags, never had a problem, they simply don't care. stop worrying so much. worse comes to worse, just mail your **** home. use media mail / bulk mail, itll take a week to get there but cost you peanuts.

also if you have an amex platinum (or some gold cards) you can abuse airport lounges.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about doing a shopping tour, seeing all the stores that I don't have access to down here, and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to take any of the things that I bought home with me. I suppose I could have it all shipped back.

This is why you underpack when traveling.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

why is that? you can check-in a plastic or paper bag, if need be. Just tape it up on the corners and tape it closed. I have too many suitcases, leather bags, etc, so if I go somewhere and unexpectedly buy something I often just check-in shopping bags now.

Wait, if I'm carrying-on my carryon, plus my shoulder bag, they would let me take a third bag/box full of ****?

yo wtf, you are (I assume) a young white male... TSA could give two ***** about what you do. i fly a couple times a year and i don't even bother putting things like medicine or toiletries in plastic bags, never had a problem, they simply don't care. stop worrying so much. worse comes to worse, just mail your **** home. use media mail / bulk mail, itll take a week to get there but cost you peanuts.
also if you have an amex platinum (or some gold cards) you can abuse airport lounges.

I'm not freaking out over here Teger. Just trying to get the lay of the land so that I can make it a hassle free trip.

This is why you underpack when traveling.

Ah, this makes more sense now.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why worry with the hassle of taking clothes back home? Have what you buy shipped home, you'll be exempted from NYC taxes, too.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, if I'm carrying-on my carryon, plus my shoulder bag, they would let me take a third bag/box full of ****?

Yes. But it will be "checked in" which means that they actually take it from you and put it in the belly of the plane. You pick it up at the baggage claim when you land. You will still "carry on" the carry on bag and laptop.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, ****, it looks like I won't have to worry about that after all. I just got my revised itennary, and it looks like I'm only going to be in town Wed and Thur, not Tue-Thur. Ah well.

Anybody have experience with Apex Bus, Bolt Bus, or Mega Bus? The reviews online are all pretty awful and they all are going to Philly.

Last edited:

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid the so-called Chinatown bus. Megabus is usually fairly clean but runs late. If you can, take Amtrak. It's quicker and gives you more personal space. If you have AAA or are a vet, buy your Amtrak ticket in advance for a discount.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got either bolt or mega from DC to NYC a month ago, can't remember. it was surprisingly pleasant. i had two seats to myself so reasonably comfortable, i plugged in my laptop and used the wireless.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plus if you register (free) on their website, you get priority boarding.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Believe me guys, I'd love to take Amtrack, but I can't justify the extra $40 over the bus ticket, even if they do occasionally run late. Even with my AAA discount its still $45 plus fees/taxes vs. the $10-$15 for the bus ticket.

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fuk these duke of windsor north by northwest cabin car wannabe assholes. Bolt Bus and Megabus are fine, especially on your FIRST TRIP EVAR. There is a good chance you will sit next to someone you don't know.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Avoid the so-called Chinatown bus. Megabus is usually fairly clean but runs late. If you can, take Amtrak. It's quicker and gives you more personal space. If you have AAA or are a vet, buy your Amtrak ticket in advance for a discount.

Definitely do Amtrak. Generally leaves and arrives on time (far better than the buses) and are far more comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads