1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Anyone who has ever had a good sock puppet knows to use a proxy to change their IP address.

So blueoakleyz was your sock puppet then.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Come on, you don't seriously believe people go through that trouble do you?

o ye of little faith

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Sometimes they are funny.

<----- what I look like while enjoying some well-done sockpuppetry.

[​IMG]

Can you please make all three words in my user title capitalized? Pretty please?

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Anyone who has ever had a good sock puppet knows to use a proxy to change their IP address.

No one does this. Were you an AOL(Hell) hackzor back in the day?

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Come on, you don't seriously believe people go through that trouble do you?

"That" trouble? All you do is google "Proxy," click on the first link, type in sf.net, and boom, your IP is different.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

o ye of little faith

But what's the point? Mods don't auto-delete puppets.

7. MetroStyles

"That" trouble? All you do is google "Proxy," click on the first link, type in sf.net, and boom, your IP is different.

Yeah but you have to switch back and forth, and it just seems annoying. Especially since no one cares anyway.

8. AThingForCashmere

AThingForCashmere Senior member

And MAC address(es).

9. edmorel

Yeah but you have to switch back and forth, and it just seems annoying. Especially since no one cares anyway.

BTW, in replying to kwilkinson, edmorel and j, you are replying to the same person on different proxy ip's.

10. MetroStyles

BTW, in replying to kwilkinson, edmorel, metrostyles and j, you are having a conversation with yourself on different proxy ip's.

ftfy

11. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

<----- what I look like while enjoying some well-done sockpuppetry.

Was the Wagyu to your liking, j-san?

12. edmorel

ftfy

[​IMG]

Was the Wagyu to your liking, j-san?

and the sockpuppets come out [​IMG]

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

I would know if you had a sock puppet, the puppet would sound exactly like Hank Hill.

[​IMG] There's that problem as well. Plus, everyone would figure me out when I inevitably started offering advice on propane and propane accessories.

14. edmorel

[​IMG] There's that problem as well. Plus, everyone would figure me out when I inevitably started offering advice on propane and propane accessories.

All joking aside, you are pretty good Metro.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

[​IMG]

Nope. As far as I can tell I'm really me.

16. MetroStyles

That's not what your mom said last night.

17. why

why Senior member

I wish my mechanics were even 1/100th of this, even if a linguistics prof could chew it up, and even if you're entirely wrong.

It's a lot simpler once the basic rules are understood. It just sounds complicated because it's hard to follow without knowing the nomenclature or the processes they refer to.

They seemed "off" to me, or suspicious.

Me too, but there are patterns which are created either artifically through online translators or truly through understanding the grammars but not the idiomatic differences.

He also seems to have a "meme-literacy" (for lack of a better word) far out of whack with his writing competency. One might say he's just copying them, but they seem largely to be used correctly, in the right places, while the grammar or words around them are not. That's also a bit fishy, because despite his L1 or his competency therein, that kind of metalinguistic awareness won't come with somebody who is still at the level of "you must to vote." [​IMG]

It sounds 'fishy', but most of the memes aren't structurally different from some of his mistranslations. Look at this post:

Poast moar possibility hier!

He uses the memes of intentional mispellings in 'poast' and 'moar', then uses 'hier' from German. Phonetically, there are no 'memes'. It's phonetically identical to 'Post more possibility here'.

There is much possibility!

Again, he misuses the idiomatic phrase 'there is' (Italian 'c'è', German 'Es gibt') by not conjugating the verb correctly for number (he keeps it singular). It corresponds with the singular 'possibility'. 'Much' and 'many' are both the same morphological and phonological stem in other languages ('molto', 'mucho', whatever it is in Romanian, etc.), so he keeps saying 'much' when he should be saying 'many' due to keeping everything singular; English uses a different stem to denote number, whereas Romance languages do not, so a direct translation will probably default to the singular 'much' and cause his common mistake.

Is not vague!

This is another common mistake he makes: eliding the subject of the conjugated verb. In German and English, the subject isn't elided. This means unless he has knowledge to replicate these mistakes foreign speakers sometimes make, my guess is that his base language is French or Italian. It corresponds well with his trouble translating grammatical number into English since it's so irregular.

18. edmorel

It's a lot simpler once the basic rules are understood. It just sounds complicated because it's hard to follow without knowing the nomenclature or the processes they refer to.

his base language is French.

19. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

It sounds 'fishy', but most of the memes aren't structurally different from some of his mistranslations. Look at this post:
    That's a good point... and I didn't think of that. I guess what got me was the metalinguistic function of the meme, or the misspelling (not just "poast" here but some others he used) seemed to require a higher awareness than his following writing would suggest. While metalinguistic awareness (which, for other readers on the thread who may not know, is sort of "thinking about language as language" beyond just using it) is often related to competency or awareness in L1, rather than specifically L2, nevertheless how could you "get" why "poast" or "moar" might be funny in English but then use German "hier?" Unless, of course, you're a Gypsy!!!1!!111!
    Imagine yourself kissed at the New Year's Party... "I knew it was you, ed!"

20. why

why Senior member

That would be my guess, since his longest phrases in a foreign language are French (was just about to post that! stop ruining my exposès!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.