1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

You can borrow one of mine.
    MacLovin for the win.
    Really? I was certain that Grandmaster Baggins belongs to you.

LOL. Yeah right.

2. robin

robin Senior member

LOL. Yeah right.
    o rly? It sounds like you know something I don't.

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Grandmaster Baggins was not funny.

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I thought so, too.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

In the backstory I've created for you in my mind you were raised in a nunnery in the french countryside run by fat, abusive, grammar fascists. You found solace in the kitchen and the tender ministrations of a kindly grounds keeper whom you both despised for his low breeding and crass manners and loved for his manly influence and unremitting almost dog like kindness.

I was thinking about this when I was running and concluded that he's most likely foreign. A few things came to mind:

He always says 'lip the pussy', which makes no sense in any other language because licking is always assumed to come from the tongue and not the lips. The only single word I can think of that involves both the lips and the act of licking (via the tongue) are the reflexive verbs that translate as 'to lick one's lips'. Unless hws were a poster with a lot of linguistics training to adequately hide a morphological mistake as phonetic (why go through all the trouble?), he is most likely a legitimate foreigner confusing 'lip' and 'lick' with each other because of their similar connection to the human face as well as the the plosive consonants on the end of each word being phonetically similar (unvoiced plosives only separated by a small difference in the location of the articulators -- coincidentally, the lips and tongue). A foreigner trying to learn these words most likely originally would hear them in speech and try to phonetically transcribe them (confusing the K in 'lick' with the P in 'lip'), whereas someone who isn't exposed to the words in speech would almost always get the phrasing correct since 'lick' translates quite literally across all Indo-European languages due to a common etymological root (leigh-*).

Less complicated than the above is the translation of his prepositions. When I asked if he lived in Switzerland (the country where he'd most likely hear German, French, and Italian which he commonly uses words and phrasing from in his English), he said 'I live close of Alps'. He's using the preposition 'a' which generally means 'to' unless it's referring to a location of origin in which case it best translates as 'of'. It's unlikely that somebody simply messing around with an online translator could replicate this common mistake unless he were specifically trying to make the mistake in the first place, which would presuppose knowledge of the intricacies of translation (meaning he had already learned both and was well-versed in them as well as their idiomatic differences -- unlikely).

What really threw me off was how he used 'Flugzeug' instead of 'airplane', which made no sense to me at all. The words are recent lexical entries and have no common phonetic or morphological root. They don't even come close to translating by cognative relationship, so why would he mistake one for the other? But this doesn't mean he's a sock puppet messing around with online translators, it simply means he is using translators. Given the two aforementioned examples (of which I'm sure there's more), this mistake can be indicative of nothing more than a mistake in itself; the phonological evidence in my first example seems to indicate that he's exposed to at least three foreign languages in his everyday life (which is why I guessed he was Swiss).

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I've always wanted a sockpuppet, but I have absolutely no ability to write or talk any differently than I do normally. As such, I think people would realize it was me really quickly and all fun would be lost. [​IMG]

I've always thought the sockpuppet thing was odd, mostly for the same reason. I've thought it would be funny to have one, but I would have no idea how to write differently from my norm. I would spend the whole time worried that everyone could tell it was me because of my writing style.

Then I realize my writing style probably isn't as unique as I think it is, and I start to wonder if I could get away with it, thus restarting the whole internal debate.

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Grandmaster Baggins was not funny.

easy there, nupe.

8. MetroStyles

easy there, nupe.

Nupes will b Nupes.

[​IMG]

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

MacLovin for the win.

Idiot. Wasn't me.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought so, too.
    Now that the fun is over, I'd be happy to admit if I were GB. However, I'm not, so I won't take teh creds. Based on writing style, though, I think I know who he (or, more likely "they") were. I have one alternate login who has posted only once, and I use him to vote in DT poals only when I want specifically to give myself twice the voting power to belittle or emasculate Cunny. Is teh true.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Idiot. Wasn't me.

Srsly? [​IMG]

12. MetroStyles

Now that the fun is over, I'd be happy to admit if I were GB. However, I'm not, so I won't take teh creds.

Based on writing style, though, I think I know who he (or, more likely "they") were.

Conne or ed?

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I've always thought the sockpuppet thing was odd, mostly for the same reason. I've thought it would be funny to have one, but I would have no idea how to write differently from my norm. I would spend the whole time worried that everyone could tell it was me because of my writing style.

Then I realize my writing style probably isn't as unique as I think it is, and I start to wonder if I could get away with it, thus restarting the whole internal debate.

I would know if you had a sock puppet, the puppet would sound exactly like Hank Hill.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I still don't understand why sockpuppets - well known ones - are allowed here. Every other forum I've visited, where sockpuppetry could have some value, has banned members if they are found to use sockpuppets. What's the idea behind allowing them here, especially when mods can easily track who is whom?

15. robin

robin Senior member

I still don't understand why sockpuppets - well known ones - are allowed here. Every other forum I've visited, where sockpuppetry could have some value, has banned members if they are found to use sockpuppets. What's the idea behind allowing them here, especially when mods can easily track who is whom?
    says the sock puppet.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Nobody knows whose sockpuppet it is until afterward you dolt.

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Nobody knows whose sockpuppet it is until afterward you dolt.

[​IMG] say what? Mods can trace IP addresses on the spot.

18. j

j Senior member

Sometimes they are funny. <----- what I look like while enjoying some well-done sockpuppetry.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

[​IMG] say what? Mods can trace IP addresses on the spot.

Anyone who has ever had a good sock puppet knows to use a proxy to change their IP address.

20. MetroStyles

Anyone who has ever had a good sock puppet knows to use a proxy to change their IP address.

Come on, you don't seriously believe people go through that trouble do you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.