• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you go thru the Amazon store link above and buy something (either from the store or anywhere else on Amazon) the forum will get a bit of it. The paypal donation address is [email protected] (for Paypal balances) [email protected] (for everything else - takes higher fees).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you go thru the Amazon store link above . . .

Crap, I can't believe I didn't realize that before. I buy tons of stuff from Amazon -- I'll have to start using that link. Mea culpa for being ig'nant up til now.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Like you know, some way to support the forum through paypal or sthg. Maybe tying it to some of the forum stuff people like. My shoe paraphernalia posts are a PITA, but people keep asking for them -- if I knew the forum was getting a nominal few dollars now and then for it I'd feel better about it.

How about every time somebody uses the word 'desiderata' they have to pay $50 to keep from being permabanned.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of $$$ to support teh forumz: I also proposed in the sales area, on a thread where somebody was complaining about a member having 10 sales threads going simultaneously, that those members that want that kind of premium exposure could pay for it... with a 1% fee or something for premium membership. Non-premium membership just gets the standard... like... one thread at a time, no free-bumping, etc. That would 1) cut down on people circumventing the rules and/or 2)get you guys some cash. There are probably $10K's of transactions going through there each month... surely you ought to get some sort of kickback.
wink.gif
As well, 1% is way less than Ebay and any similar selling arena. As well, many of the sellers who have that many threads are certainly not running charities. Some are making some decent scratch and could afford it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps I will need to volunteer for another SF fundraiser!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps you can volunteer for the dunk tank.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does Styleforum run at a deficit or near deficit? I thought the ad and affiliate revenue more than covered the operating costs and that the site generated a profit to J and whoever else is involved. But all this talk of people wanting to contribute to its upkeep has me doubting that.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Speaking of $$$ to support teh forumz:

I also proposed in the sales area, on a thread where somebody was complaining about a member having 10 sales threads going simultaneously, that those members that want that kind of premium exposure could pay for it... with a 1% fee or something for premium membership. Non-premium membership just gets the standard... like... one thread at a time, no free-bumping, etc.

That would 1) cut down on people circumventing the rules and/or 2)get you guys some cash. There are probably $10K's of transactions going through there each month... surely you ought to get some sort of kickback.
wink.gif
As well, 1% is way less than Ebay and any similar selling arena.

As well, many of the sellers who have that many threads are certainly not running charities. Some are making some decent scratch and could afford it.

How would it be collected? Honor system?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How would it be collected? Honor system?
I dunno... I'm not volunteering myself to figure that stuff out. There are seller affiliates, why not have something similar for "premier" sellers who pay something (either monthly or a percent of sales) for more/better exposure. Overall, I'm just thinking of a way to make the mods some money, because some sellers here are making a lot and not kicking anything back (so far as I know). That's great and I'm happy for them, but the mods (ala J and such) aren't independently wealthy and almost none of us contribute much of anything for all the fun we have here. I threw in some to get AF out of the pokey, but beyond the occasional throw-in... I can't donate much from my random/infrequent sales, as they generally follow this routine: Rach2jlc buys $2500 bag at summer sale for half off. It sits in closet for six months unused, when he decides it's dumb just to sit there. Sell on SF for $250. Take home whopping MINUS $1000 profit! Yaaaay capitalism!
wink.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Perhaps you can volunteer for the drunk tank.
FTFY.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, let me get it out of the way that I've never sold anything on here and it's quite possible that I never will. However, I kind of like the idea of Buy and Sell being a kinda, sorta paid service. Maybe a flat rate of a $1 listing fee with cheaper items (let's arbitrarily say those going for less than $25) being free. Of course, this could simply lead to sellers tacking the extra $1 cost on to the buyer but, either way, money could go to j for the hosting/server fees and it's still cheaper for the seller than going through eBay with its fees. Edit: I disagree with rach's suggestion of paid mods. I know its a lot of work they put into the site and I think they generally do an excellent job but something about it being a "paid position" seems kind of wrong to be. Not sure why but it just does.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is the letter U in Styleforum coloured red?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Why is the letter U in Styleforum coloured red?
It asked the wrong questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads