• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trans Mod Dim Sum

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They are not part of the SF Chinese experience. I wish they were, and if they were I could answer.

Really? I would figure them pretty common at dim sum places. They are mainstays in Hong Kong.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've watched soup dumplings being made, they are not simple, its the type of thing that I would never attempt at home. the pinching requires expertease, they have to be solid to hold the liquid but not too thick.

also, you don't put soup in them, you put solidified pork broth, which melts, so I am not sure you can do it with any other type of broth, or if you did it would require many batches of experimentation.

I love soup dumplings

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've watched soup dumplings being made, they are not simple, its the type of thing that I would never attempt at home. the pinching requires expertease, they have to be solid to hold the liquid but not too thick.
also, you don't put soup in them, you put solidified pork broth, which melts, so I am not sure you can do it with any other type of broth, or if you did it would require many batches of experimentation.
I love soup dumplings

Where do you get them in Chicago?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I have not yet been able to figure out how to insert a good peepee in coke comment into this conversation.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So . . . . how are we all feeling about the forum now?

I'm feeling hungry. I think we will order from Grand Sichuan tonight.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Err, I guess you could attempt it, but I can't vouch for the results. Pork is very aromatic. And when soup dumplings are at their best, the pork inside holds solid form only until it grazes your teeth, at which point it immediately melts into soft, gushy, pork slop in your mouth. I'm not sure you can achieve the same with other kinds of meat, but I don't know.
Oh man. If you don't like that stuff, you can't truly like Chinese food.
At its best, Chinese food covers an incredibly broad spectrum of textures. The point is to find joy in things that are crispy and chewy and gushy at the same time.
If Daniel Boulud served you a perfectly spherical, sesame-encrusted mochi ball stuffed with lotus paste, you'd call it genius.

Sesame-encrusted mochi ball stuffed with lotus paste, wow three uninspiring ingredients, I doubt the sum of the whole is greater than the parts. Also the diatribe is a bit rich coming from someone who describes tiramisu and apricot cake as “that crap”.

I know which one I'd choose.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are missing the point completely. I love tiramisu (never had apricot cake). But it is a travesty for a Chinese restaurant to serve things like cheesecake or apple pie--not because those aren't good things, but because they are not Chinese food and are odd things to finish a Chinese meal with.

And what the f*ck is more "inspiring" about apricots and lady fingers than sesame, lotus seeds and mochi? Sounds like a cultural bias more than anything else.

I bet you always order the chocolate cake.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

they are not Chinese food and are odd things to finish a Chinese meal with.
And what the f*ck is more "inspiring" about apricots? Sounds like a cultural bias more than anything else.

actually, apricots (and most stone fruit) originate in the highlands of central china. :foo:

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are missing the point completely. I love tiramisu (never had apricot cake). But it is a travesty for a Chinese restaurant to serve things like cheesecake or apple pie--not because those aren't good things, but because they are not Chinese food and are odd things to finish a Chinese meal with.
And what the f*ck is more "inspiring" about apricots and lady fingers than sesame, lotus seeds and mochi? Sounds like a cultural bias more than anything else.
I bet you always order the chocolate cake.

Haaaa cultural bias? After the posts you've made in this thread, laughable. I live in Asia, eat Asian food everyday so I strongly reject your assertion. Chinese desserts are objectively less desirable than those of other cultures. Anywhere in the world in a place that specializes in desserts you'd be hard pressed to find an Asian item on the menu.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Haaaa cultural bias? After the posts you've made in this thread, laughable. I live in Asia, eat Asian food everyday so I strongly reject your assertion. Chinese desserts are objectively less desirable than those of other cultures. Anywhere in the world in a place that specializes in desserts you'd be hard pressed to find an Asian item on the menu.

"Objectively less desirable?" Wow. That is so ignorant it is hard to respond calmly to it.

Perhaps it would come as a surprise to you, but many Chinese find various Western foods unpalatable, including many that we would generally consider worthy of savoring. Cheese is a good example. And Bacon. In Taiwan, Western desserts are thought to be unrefined and too cloyingly sweet. Where you do find renditions of things like cheesecake and chocolate cake there, they are diluted versions meant to be friendlier to the country's tastes and treated more like novelties than things to genuinely enjoy. The most popular "donuts" in the country look like Krispy Kremes from the outside, but are actually made of--guess what--mochi. There are shops in Taipei started by Parisian bakers and pastry chefs. While they carry baguettes and croissants, they have modified many of their items to include things Chinese palates prefer, like red bean, lotus paste, etc.

In fact, last we were in Paris, one of the most highly-reputed macaron shops was run by an immigrant from Japan. His macarons and pastries were all made with ingredients typical of Asian desserts--various tea flavors, lots of red bean (green bean, yellow bean, also), sesame seeds, etc. Evidently, tasteful people can see past the things they have merely become comfortable with.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
the only place I ever get soup dumplings are the sechuan place at lex and 33rd, it is very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads