• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trans Mod Dim Sum

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never seen a completely kosher Peking Duck setup. I don't know if its the sauces or what. None of the kosher Chinese places, at least the Glaat kosher ones, do it down here.

http://www.koshermiami.org/main/hashgachos.php

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
There is a kosher place called Fish Grill that I eat at maybe once a week, despite my not keeping kosher in any way. It's just good food.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

this all sounds positively scrumptious.
one thing i can assure you of however, they are not preparing anything at the table at david chus. :(

From the Zagat's review:
Good enough that people who keep kosher can claim to have eaten Chinese food, but wouldn't recommend it to the non-pious.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When I meet with teh neo-cons, we either eat at Le Marais or at this kosher Moroccan place which is near Norman Podhoretz's apartment.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Zagat's even necessary for Chinese restaurants? You walk into the restaurant. If the majority of diners are Chinese, it's good. If the majority are non-Chinese, it's not.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From the Zagat's review: Good enough that people who keep kosher can claim to have eaten Chinese food, but wouldn't recommend it to the non-pious.

:laugh: spot on

When I meet with teh neo-cons, we either eat at Le Marais or at this kosher Moroccan place which is near Norman Podhoretz's apartment.

neo-cons?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

one thing i can assure you of however, they are not preparing anything at the table at david chus. :(

i wouldn't have expected that.

to claim that it's impossible to dislike hoisin is brave. it took me a while, though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is Zagat's even necessary for Chinese restaurants? You walk into the restaurant. If the majority of diners are Chinese, it's good. If the majority are non-Chinese, it's not.

Great, every other restaurant in San Francisco is a good Chinese restaurant.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you have never been to the one on the east side, which is the original and always good.

Yes I have. We've been to both. I actually prefer the food at the UWS location. We order the duck at each every time, and it is always hit or miss. Peking Duck House (Midtown East) used to be my recommendation, but they were sucky last time we went.

You really need to come out here.

I know. I am dreaming of crab guts.

But I think you would be surprised by the Chinese food in the DC area (this excludes Chinese food in the city proper, which has been terrible for about twenty years). It blows away anything I've had in New York. From my understanding, it is second only to what you can get in San Francisco.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I know. I am dreaming of crab guts.

But I think you would be surprised by the Chinese food in the DC area (this excludes Chinese food in the city proper, which has been terrible for about twenty years). It blows away anything I've had in New York. From my understanding, it is second only to what you can get in San Francisco.

Vancouver and Toronto have some kick ass Chinese.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i wouldn't have expected that.
to claim that it's impossible to dislike hoisin is brave. it took me a while, though.

I have never had good Peking duck that wasn't carved table-side. Makes me wonder if there is a factory in Ohio that ships out vacuum-sealed, cut-up Peking ducks to mediocre Chinese restaurants all over the country.

Want to prove to the waiter you are hardcore about your duck? Tell them to please give you the bones and carcass to take home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads