1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trans Mod Dim Sum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 2, 2012.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't had dim sum in a year or so. It is one of my favorite things.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Me too. But it sucks in New York. I mean, it's terrible. Even the places in Flushing that are supposed to be the best suck in comparison to what I can get in suburban Maryland.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. mafoofan

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II

AAlso, all my friends in New York are Jews and "like" to eat dim sum even though they cannot eat pork and generally don't like anything sticky or gelatinous. Essentially, they eat the shrimp dumplings. A small plate each. And then they are done. Meanwhile there I am ordering like a proper Chinese person, with 12-15 small plates covering the table, and liquified pork fat flying out the corners of my mouth. Also, they insist on going at "lunch time," which is like 1:30 in the afternoon, and don't understand all the good stuff will be gone or stale by then.

It's not fun when you do it with people who don't do it right.

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Din Tai Fung FTW

5. mafoofan

To be fair, I'm exaggerating about how sloppy I am. Actually, I'm not at all. The point was more that it's nearly impossible to really eat dim sum unless you can eat pork--and that is broadly true of Chinese food. Also, dim sum is supposed to be a communal, family-style meal. You're supposed to share the experience together, each reaching for the same little plates, not sitting with your plate of shrimp dumplings kept to yourself. It's not the right spirit of things. I get irritated later on when I reflect on the grimaces and looks of disgust as I unpack my pork fat drenched sticky rice from its lotus leaf. But at the time, I'm too busy enjoying the delicious gooeyness.

I just don't think many non-Chinese really "get" what dim sum is supposed to be. It's like people who "love" sushi, order a single $4.99 order of spicy tuna rolls for themselves, and then wonder why the waiter doesn't give a crap about serving them well.

6. itsstillmatt

My people are good jews, and by that I mean we eat dim sum correctly.

Edit: Except for my mother. She won't let anybody else touch the black bean spare ribs. If somebody else at the table wants some, we have to get two orders.

7. mafoofan

Also, if you eat f*cking Peking duck, you must pack in some meat and the crispy skin. You must roll it up in the pancake (which should be paper thin, yet pliable and unbreakable). If you don't, and only eat the meat, and don't use the hoisin sauce or scallions, you don't get to complain that it isn't anything special. Plus, you've just f*cked my meal, because now there is no meat left. I love the skin, but I cannot eat a skin-only Peking duck roll.

Oh yeah, it's not a f*cking Chipotle burrito. Slow down f*cker. There's like a dozen and a half wrappers. Seriously, you need like two or three pieces of meat, the same number of skin slices, and that's it.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now that is just wrong.

9. itsstillmatt

Seriously. I've never seen somebody only eat the meat. My wife only eats the skin (in a pancake with hoisin and green onion) which pisses me off to no end because I have an excess of meat. Also, pancakes versus buns? The two best Peking duck places in SF differ mainly in this regard, and we choose based on which we want that night.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm sorry, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but my mod powers only go to moderating Dumb Threads, not Dim Sum restaurants. I understand your irritation though. Okay, not really. I've never done Din Sum so I have no idea what you're talking about.

11. mafoofan

And you live in SF. It's not fair that you aren't Chinese or that I am not you.

Anyway, my broader beef (or pork, in this instance), is with people who don't earnestly try to participate in cultures they are exposed to. There is a way to eat Peking duck, just as there is a way to eat a good steak. My cousins from Taiwan were visiting my parents years and years ago. I grilled them some ribeyes because my mother wanted them to have real American steak while they were here. They joked about how big the cuts were and how Americans are fat and uncivilized. I got up to go get something from the kitchen and by the time I had gotten back, he had cut the steaks into slices, which he piled up on another plate.

I think leaving out the skin is the most egregious. It's like eating pizza without the cheese.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

My girlfriend (ex-Jewish) doesn't eat shrimp and hasn't totally warmed up to pork yet either. We met some friends at dim sum and there was almost nothing she would eat. Kind of awkward, but at least she didn't pick through anything and ruin it, which sounds inexcusable.

I do wish there were a little guide for each dish on what you are supposed to do, because I know I'm often doing it wrong.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Worse is when non-Chinese order entire dinner "entrees" for themselves. Who actually enjoys eating an entire plate of bok choy? It's insanity. And the next person has an entire plate of beef.

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would like to try Peking Duck one day.

15. itsstillmatt

There is. There is a little laminated thing that looks like a map which shows you what dish is what.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I learned recently that sauteed bok choy with a ribeye steak is divine.

17. mafoofan

My generation of just-turned-30's seems to have largely grown up with flaccid palates.

But for it's worth, my family members have a quirk where we do not use the scallions. I think that has to do with having started eating Peking duck when I was little kid--and no kid likes the scallions. I've passed this on to my wife, who only goes scallion-less. She vows that Peking duck is the greatest dish ever invented, which makes me happy, because I didn't need her to change religions or learn any languages for me. I just needed her to like Peking duck. And Chinese pastries and deserts. And everything in between.

I've always eaten it with pancakes. In fact, I had not encountered the buns until we lived in Chicago. But all Chicago Chinese food is discredited, so I assumed it was a fluke.

18. itsstillmatt

Yeah, I remember coming across that phenomenon in high school going out to Chinese food with a friend's family. My mother is simply what my people call a chazzer. Mainly when it comes to black bean spare ribs, but also when it comes to the innards of crab. We've had to put her on crab gut probation where we serve her her allotted amount, else the table will get none.

19. mafoofan

Yes! That is awful! How rude would it be if I went to a Western fine dining restaurant and reached into somebody else's plate as if it were shared? Come on, people.

Let's do it, baby.

20. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

What rubbish, there may be a few rubes who don't get it but it isn't rocket science. Are you amazed when you see gweilo who can use chopsticks? This is especially rich coupled with the ignorant sushi comment.