• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tour of Rubinacci workshop / Cappelli atelier -- June 2011

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
this is something that always makes me uncomfortable about having items tailored - the making up of pricing on the spot that is prevalent. especially since most of the time it does not seem to work in my favor...

Do you get a lot of items tailored? I think that, at the end of the day, if you become a repeat customer, the overall price works itself out to be in your favor (considering discounts, items remade/altered for free, freebies thrown in, etc.). This has been my experience with both my shirtmaker and suitmaker.

riverrun

Reaction score
Not to stir back up the arguments from earlier in this thread, but doesn't Mina use one of Rubie's old head cutters now...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guero
Matt, if I may call you Matt, I just read your review of the Cappelli and Rubinacci ties on your blog. Coincidentally, I purchased ties at both shops last week as well. Your review of the differences in the two was on point. I think you perfectly characterized the shopping experience as well as the differences in construction and feel. Nice job.

And I couldn't find Cappelli either, but it gave me the opportunity to stumble into Formosa, across the courtyard from Cappelli, and check out some of their wares.

Glad that your experience matches mine. I am thrilled that I like Cappelli, since I love my Rubinacci ties and have not previously found an alternative. The only issue is picking out silks. Luca visits NYC pretty frequently, and will bring tie swatches upon request. Patrizio, on the other hand, obviously does not travel like that. However, his English is good so it's easy to communicate with him.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mina always has a huge selection of Cappelli silks on her trips to NY. The turnover is extensive because Cappelli often gets little pieces that can make only a few ties.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Mina always has a huge selection of Cappelli silks on her trips to NY. The turnover is extensive because Cappelli often gets little pieces that can make only a few ties.

Ah, but whose price do you pay when you order through Mina?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ah, but whose price do you pay when you order through Mina?

It's a bit more $$ than buying in Naples. At least I think it is. In Naples, I bought only already-made ties. Mina's price is for bespoke, not that I have any extraordinary requirements.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's a bit more $$ than buying in Naples. At least I think it is. In Naples, I bought only already-made ties. Mina's price is for bespoke, not that I have any extraordinary requirements.

Got it. Maybe worthwhile for the streamlined service alone, though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think Mina is 120 euros for the bespoke Cappelli ties. Prob more than Naples but not egregiously so.

She also has a (very) limited selection of her own wools and silks (under the NSM label) for 100 euros.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Is Attolini in Naples full bespoke or MTM?

Attolini offers bespoke Naples, it's pretty similar in pricing like Rubinacci.
A friend owns several Attolini bespoke suits that were cut by Cesare Attolini personally some years ago; pretty cool as he is over 80 now, if I remember correctly.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiimii
41802_38168570737_918017_q.jpg

Via Scarlatti, 69 Napoli

Via Scarlatti, 10-12 Napoli

Piazza Garibaldi, 72 Napoli

Piazza Dante, 86 Napoli

Via Tino da Camaino, 30 Napoli

Via Piscicelli, 134-136 Napoli

Piazza Arenella, 7 E Napoli

Pianura Via Campanile, 14 Napoli

The two best coffee are served here (due to the great barristas)

Via Scarlatti, 69 Napoli (near Piazza VanvitellI)

Piazza Dante, 86 Napoli

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Starting an overcoat order for this winter. Military-style greatcoat. Vintage tweed, 50-60 years old, ~18 oz. More here.

overcoating2s.jpg

overcoating3s.jpg

overcoating6s.jpg

overcoating1s.jpg

overcoating4s.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, that's some cloth. What is "military-style"? Similar to a trench coat?

Is the plaid for lining?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads