Toronto bespoke shoemaker Nasser Vies

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ivon, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Just finished reading an article in the newspaper about a local (for me at least) bespoke shoemaker named Nassar Vies, the shoes in the accompanying photos looked decent and it said shoes start at $750. Anybody know anything about this guy? Where is his shop and how good are his shoes?

2. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I saw it in the Star as well. I googled him but couldn't find his shop.

3. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

For that price, there's no way I would try these guys (even though he's 1km from me). There's G&G and Edward Green who are established with proven quality goods for the same $.

4. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Boo on the OP for not supplying a link to the original article.

Link is here: Toronto’s boot maker to the stars: Nasser Vies

Quoted below for the lazy.

[​IMG]

Forum member Doxe was considering him at one time but I don't know if he actually went through with it.

Nasser does post some of his work on DWF's cordwainer website.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

So you would buy shoes produced en masse from a store hundreds of kilometres away priced to include the markups of distributors and retailers, but you won't buy shoes made specifically for you buy 1 person?

wow. not having seen the shoes myself, i think it'd be worth your while to walk down the road and check him out.

6. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Another guy talking out of his ass. The only shoes around that price from G&G and EG are the RTW which is not the same as bespoke. G&G's bespoke service cost 2-3 times more.

Just go down check out the guy's work and samples while keeping in mind that this is bespoke for RTW prices.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

pretty much, if they're genuine bespoke you can't really compare to rtw so long as the quality and finishing is there.

8. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I've seen pictures of his work on the website DWFII moderates: thehcc.org. His work definitely looks better than average for that site, but not quite as good as DW's stuff, imo at least. If I lived in TO, though, I'd give him a try.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

9. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Apologies for not linking the article, I posting from my iPhone. To make up for that faux pas, I think I found the shop while walking around after Googling him. If you are familiar with Toronto, get to Queen St. E and Broadview, go one block east on Queen St., south side to the Opera House, across the street will be a Chinese takeout place, a couple of doors south will be a tiny storefront with a "Bespoke Shoemaker" sign in the window. Blink and you'll mis s it. I'm confident that's him, the store was closed, but what are the chances of another bespoke shoemaker on Queen St. E?

Probably going to pop in to see the goods and ask a few questions. Starting prices seem really good for bespoke, I just paid more for new G&Gs this week. If it looks okay, I might commission a pair of brown PTBs, need a pair anyway and not really up for AE Kenilworths or commissioning a MTO G&G or EG just yet. Personally, I would like to try to support more artisanal craftsman, especially local ones.

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

MT,

Nasser is a great guy, knows his stuff, does everything as traditionally as can be done in this day and age, and his work is true bespoke.

11. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

I popped by his shop this week, the instructions I posted above will lead you there. Mr. Vies is an affable, knowledgeable guy. I saw some pieces and we chatted a bit about what I had in mind and I asked a few standard questions about fit, form and construction. I'm pretty sure I'll commission a pair this month. Having a bespoke pair of shoes made has always been a dream.

If I can ever figure out how to post pics, I'll upload them. We haven't discussed price yet, but from the newspaper article, they should come in around what I've paid for RTW recently.

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Please keep us updated if you do decide to commission a pair from him.

What's his selection of leather/suede like? And how do they compare to G&G leather?

Contact information for Nasser is below based on what I could glean from a google search.

Hand Made Shoes
    93 Lewis st.
    Toronto, Ontario
    M4M 2H2
    Canada
    Phone Number: (416) 778-7012
    Contact Name: Nasser Vies

13. jaihoo

jaihoo Senior member

Here are a few pics for the enthusiasts. Enjoy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012

14. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

He has a Wordpress site. Here are a pair of (hand-welted?) wholecuts.

[​IMG]

Wingtip:
    [​IMG]

Three-tone wingtip:
    [​IMG]

It seems like he can do hand-welted on whatever model you'd like, or other construction methods.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016