• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topy vs rubber oversoles on leather -- in New England

LooknGr8

Reaction score
What is pictured above is what the cobblers are calling a "full overlay" and although some on SF call it a Topy, others Vibram, and my cobblers here are calling it rubber, It appears to amount to the same thing (except for the logos on the overlay, and some on SF argue that one might possibly last longer than others). This, below is the partial overlay option. It's a pic of some Bass Weejuns I'd thrifted to beat up while out & about this summer; turns out they don't fit and they're headed back. They had what my cobblers are calling the "partial overlay" done at the factory (the stitching says so?). But I could get this done to my new ones. I can't figure out what the benefit of this would be vs. the full overlay.
5761602532_5a71ef13c1.jpg

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8

Am trying to decide what to do on 5 new pairs.

My specific *new* question is, since I live in the northeast and it's impossible to avoid some rain/slush/snow precipitation (even though I'll be careful) should I just opt for the full rubber oversole (not including heel) instead of the partial Vibram overlay/Topy?

2nd question: Do the rubber oversoles eventually wear out and I'll have to re-oversole them in time? Previous posters say Vibram is pretty much permanent. What is your experience? What do you do?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by LooknGr8
These but without the heel piece (previous posters say the heel will be fine and not soak through) as opposed to the partial that leaves the leather of the toe exposed...

IMG_0900-1.JPG

The Topy oversole will protect the sole of the shoe in light rains on wet streets after a rain. Essentially, it will keep the sole dry. However, with slush, light snow, heavier rains and the puddles, the oversole is insufficient. Opt for full rubber soled shoes with a thicker sole.

The oversole is very strong and will rarely need replacement. I have a pair of shoes that I wear to death, and I have had the Vibram oversole replaced only once. It is cheaper to have the rubber oversole replaced (very infrequently) than to have a leather sole replaced (more frequently).

Incidentally, the rubber oversole is a good idea for the ladies on their dress shoes which have paper thin soles. My wife has a rubber oversole added from time to time (except for evening shoes).

I would not go "whole hog" and have all of your new shoes "Topied". Try one or two at most to see if you like it. Some people prefer the "glide" that you can have with leather soles. You can "Topy" your remaining shoes later.

Do not place an oversole on shoes that you may use for dancing.

Good luck.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I've got my answer & will try a couple. I'll get me some overshoes too. Luckily, the dance part isn't an issue, I am worse than Tom Brady at carnivale

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

JDMills

Reaction score
It's all wether you like the feel or not, I prefer the feel of leather when I walk, (leather heels can be a killer though). Might be a better idea to have a pair of shoes with a rubber sole like he said ^^

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ravi
Looks like ****. Go buy some cheap shoe and stop worrying about a little rain. Shoes are meant to be disposible not worn for 20 years
facepalm.gif

gasp.gif

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ravi
Looks like ****. Go buy some cheap shoe and stop worrying about a little rain. Shoes are meant to be disposible not worn for 20 years
facepalm.gif

...how DARE you? People here INVEST in shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads