• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topcoats: Am I being impractical here? Have you done this?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple pieces of outerwear that fit well without a jacket, and a couple that fit well with a jacket (more room in the shoulder mainly)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty of brands today make coats aimed at being worn without a jacket. I doubt sizing up would work.

Worse the printed size is only the chest. It doesn't tell you anything about the rest of the coat. I own coats from different brands ranging in EU size for 48 to 52. The 52 coats are the smallest and can only be worn with a sweater :embar:

Dress how you intend to wear the coat then go into the shop and try it on. Look in mirror. :nodding:

FWIW from the fit pictures you posted I wouldn't buy either. You need a different cut more then a different size.

omega4

Reaction score
You all have provided some great, honest advice. Thank you all.

I'm going to return both topcoats today.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear a topcoat without a jacket or suit. But it is a soft tailored camel one. I wear it over jeans or cords, a sweater and a scarf. Of course I wear it over a jacket as well.

One of the most stylish men I've even known used to wear a soft tailored, navy polo coat, without buttons and with a tie belt. I never saw him wear it with a suit. but he did wear it over jackets sometimes. Most often it was with cords or flannels and a cashmere sweater. It was quite an elegant casual statement.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
omega4, Welcome to Styleforum.
Not much I can add at this point but to answer your querey about purchasing multiples; there are those who do this for what ever the reason, be it fit, comfort or preference.
The famous physicist Albert Einstein had duplicates of his shirts, jackets, ties, pants & shoes. He did this so he would not waste time to what he would wear next but just grab the next one on the rack. This would allow him to focus on his work.
One example of this right here on Styleforum is a gent (name withheld) who purchased not 2 but 5 pair of identical shoes, as seen here.....

The practice is not unheard of but as has already been mention by Holdfast et al, you may become bored wearing the same look all the time.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
omega4, Welcome to Styleforum.
Not much I can add at this point but to answer your querey about purchasing multiples; there are those who do this for what ever the reason, be it fit, comfort or preference.
The famous physicist Albert Einstein had duplicates of his shirts, jackets, ties, pants & shoes. He did this so he would not waste time to what he would wear next but just grab the next one on the rack. This would allow him to focus on his work.
Doesn't Obama do a diluted version of this, on a similar basis?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't Obama do a diluted version of this, on a similar basis?

Obama's wardrobe is very cleverly chosen and photographed with deliberation. While Einstein was not a political figure in the proper sense (holding political office), Obama is. A photo such as this one ....

...was not published by accident. Taken on his first campaign trail, Obama was astutely aware that the photographer was taking the photo with emphasis on the holes in Obama's shoes. Obama himself asked the photographer if he was taking a shot of his shoes and when the photographer confirmed, Obama told him they had already been re-soled once. The photo was deliberately used to create sympathy for Obama. 'Oh well just LOOK at how hard the man works! Why he's even got holes in his shoes. Now there is an honest hard working person I would be happy to support as my president.' ..or something to that effect. It worked. Last time I checked, Obama's suits (worsted wool and cashmere) were custom made for him by Hartmarx of Chicago and all basically look the same. His shoes, again, last time I read, are made by Johnston & Murphy. Obama uses the austere look with poitical tactfulness; meaning that he fulfills the basics of dress requirements, always looks good yet is not perceived as being flamboyant in times of political and economic unrest. A very wise move that served him well in his first term but is dubious now that the honeymoon is over. Einstein on the other hand was simply not interested in fashion or style. He was far more interested in his work and whatever he believed he could contribute to humanity. Perhaps even he would agree, were he still alive, that the world would be a lot safer today had he preferred clothing interests over harnassing nuclear energy.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always thought a Chesterfield had a fly front and contrast velvet collar.

Anyway to your point, the clue's in the name - a top coat is supposed to go over a suit or jacket.

The suedeheads used to wear fitted Crombie style coats over a Ben Sherman. If your budget allows, why not get say a midnight blue overcoat (vertical pockets to put your hands in) to go over a suit in very cold weather, and a lighter weight herringbone Chesterfield with fitted waist and flapped pockets to go over a shirt in milder weather?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesterfield_coat

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have five topcoats, 3 fit over suit jackets , 2 don't.

They are all different styles, no repetition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads