• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef All Stars

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
lol

stephen-asprinio-top-chef.jpg

Wow, he has not aged well at all. That's just awful.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing between Fabio and Bourdain was kinda embarrassing to watch. Was it unfair criticism? His dish did look like crap to me, too.

And, yeah, where's Kevin from the Vegas show? He was my favorite that season.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The kind of edge you can only get growing up in New Jersey. Like me.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the surprise of the real Stefan v. the TV one. it's not like I know him well, but I've spent some time with him and found him really pretty charming. he's the kind of guy who will say just about anything to get a reaction, but he is smart and funny. i can see why his cooks would be loyal to him.
should be kind of an interesting season, though i have to admit that wasn't a big fan of angelo last season ... he seemed the kind of cook who talked better than he produced. this does seem to be a well-rounded cast cuisine-wise ... you've got some real solid kitchen dogs like dale, some molecular guys, some chez panisse-rs...should make for an interesting mix of dishes.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two Dales this season, and a few people are naming one as the front runner. Which one is it? The asian one?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
There are two Dales this season, and a few people are naming one as the front runner. Which one is it? The asian one?

No, I think people mean the other one, who appaers to be a stronger chef and ran a really great restaurant in Chicago before it closed four years ago.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No, I think people mean the other one, who appaers to be a stronger chef and ran a really great restaurant in Chicago before it closed four years ago.

God it's hard to imagine that was only 4 years ago.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
The thing between Fabio and Bourdain was kinda embarrassing to watch. Was it unfair criticism? His dish did look like crap to me, too.

And, yeah, where's Kevin from the Vegas show? He was my favorite that season.

+1, was really hoping ginger Kevin would make an appearance, he was awesome. I also had a friend who ate at his place in Atlanta and raved about it

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is a bit weird that chefs who actually have working restaurants would agree to appear ... it's not just the money (but remember that $100,000 or whatever only goes to the winner) ... but the time ... my guess is that it takes 2-3 weeks to film that. my guess is that the list of acceptances ran very high to a) people who are corporate, so they can take time off; or b) people who really desperately need the pr boost (hello FABIO!).

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
it is a bit weird that chefs who actually have working restaurants would agree to appear ... it's not just the money (but remember that $100,000 or whatever only goes to the winner) ... but the time ... my guess is that it takes 2-3 weeks to film that. my guess is that the list of acceptances ran very high to a) people who are corporate, so they can take time off; or b) people who really desperately need the pr boost (hello FABIO!).

I would have thought that the PR boost would be worth it for any chef. However, I guess if you are running your own place that is packed every night and arent particularly interested in expanding, it might not be that beneficial.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

I have heard them say that filming takes a month.

One of the Chefs from last season said "The reason we're all here is packed restaurants." So for Bryan V., whose restauarant in Frederick is apparently booming, taking time off would have been unecessary and possibly risky.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
I would have thought that the PR boost would be worth it for any chef. However, I guess if you are running your own place that is packed every night and arent particularly interested in expanding, it might not be that beneficial.

three weeks in the life of a privately owned small restaurant is forever. you would not BELIEVE the number of things that can go wrong. very few chefs i know ever take much more than a week at a time off ... until they get to the level they can afford thoroughly reliable people to delegate to.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have heard them say that filming takes a month.

One of the Chefs from last season said "The reason we're all here is packed restaurants." So for Bryan V., whose restauarant in Frederick is apparently booming, taking time off would have been unecessary and possibly risky.

i don't have a hard time believing a month at all. the stupid TVFN spin-off i did took almost 3 weeks of 12-hour days. trust me, a television production makes teh federal government look like the very model of efficiency.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads