• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Young for Ralph Lauren Purple Label?

chvynva916

Reaction score
I'm a fit, 32-year old professional guy. I typically wear 40R (50R) z-zegna suits or RLBL, both of which fit me very well right off the rack.

Yesterday I came up on a RLPL suit in my size (40R) marked down to $1500. I'm in the market for a new suit, and while this is a bit above (not much) what I wanted to spend, I know it's a great deal and would be willing to splurge if I loved the suit.

Ultimately, I don't love it. The color and design are perfect, but the fit isn't as slim and cut as the z-zegna and RLBL suits that I love. It feels a bit too big for me.

My question is whether people find RLPL (or the other high end lines, Ermenegildo Zegna, Giorgio Armani), while superior in construction, better suited for an older crowd. It reminds me a bit of the Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series. Both superior lines of cars (and somewhat expensive). But I wouldn't expect to see anyone under 50 driving either. I'd much more expect a guy in his 30s to be driving a C-class or 3-Series.

Are the top lines, including RLPL, for older guys? Any thoughts on this?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are styles that are certainly targeted at younger/older demographics, but the idea that someone is too old or young for a suit is kind of silly in my opinion. If it is boxy, then it is too big in the waist for you. However, a tailor can solve that problem very easily. I do not think I have ever owned a suit that I didn't have taken in.

Simply decide if you like the styling/construction of the suit, then have a tailor adjust it for you if you like. That said, for less than $1000, you can probably swing a new Brioni, Oxxford, or Zegna off Ebay in a 40R relatively easily. All of which are on par with or better than RLPL.

EriQ009

Reaction score
I started wearing RLPL at around 30, and feel it is better suited to me now at 35. Purple Label calls for a certain gravitas which is rare in your 20s and early 30s. That said, Purple Label for me requires significantly more altering than Black Label.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purple Label calls for a certain gravitas

Considering that 99.9999% of all people you encounter during your entire lifetime will have no idea if you're wearing purple label or JAB, this doesn't make much sense. Unless, of course, you're referring to a specific pattern or fabric that would require the right presentation to pull off, but RLPL isn't really unique in the sense that they always use outrageous patterns that would stand out in the eyes of the average person.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a good suit does not have a age tag, RLPL is one of them.

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
Firstly you can never be too young for any paticular brand or line of suits. However, with that being said I don't think you should go for the purple label suit because you're not happy with the cut and fit and I think you should only buy a suit if you love it as a suit is an investment piece.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my RLPL when I was 24.

To be honest, it was pretty roomy when I got it, but far from something like Brooks Bros Madison.

Had the waist taken in , legs slimmed a bit, and now it fits just like I want it to do. Not too slim, but not too baggy. And this is coming from one that detests "old man" suits.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
If it fits you reasonably well I would DEFINITELY buy ...just need a good tailor. However I don't know enough about RLPL suits: I've just a few RLPL knotted silk ties.

Why buy?
RLPL appear similar to many Savile Row suits in they both use horsehair canvas. ... If they are built similarly (which i dont know) they can keep for ever and ever.

I have RL Black label chalk stripe (nice cloth and floating canvas) and it was the best value suit I've ever bought. The tailor likes floating canvas, I got the fit and I loved the cloth.

If RLPL uses horsehair floating canvass (the very best) and if its built along the lines of Savile Row, ie extra material for alteration you have a suit that will last: you simply keep sending back for alterations.

Thus at the price you are stating I'd go for it.

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 30. I have lots of RLPL, in fact, I'm wearing a couple of pieces now.

Look for the custom fit RLPL if you're looking for something slimmer. RLPL is also getting slimmer by the season, although that means it'll be a little harder to find at discount.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
^ Generation gap

I better offer a correction before a someone with traditional Savile Row suites does.

RLPL is not comparable to the true definition of Savile Row, because SR is 100% bespoke constructed on premises: alterations don't need to take place on premises, some definitely outsource.

Although I own a suit from Savile Row, it isn't a traditional Savile Row suit: its off-the-peg and I go to the outsourcing tailor that one of the big SR tailors use and have it reconstructed. This effectively this is what I was suggesting in this instance.

I find RL hugely impressive and very accessible but I over-extended the boundaries a bit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads