• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Mahon out at English Cut?

taion

Reaction score
Apparently Tom Mahon is out at English Cut now: https://www.cuttinganswers.com/

The people still at English Cut disagree with his account of what happened. They also say they haven't been able to reach out to their customers because some of their computers got wiped, and that everyone is very surprised and shocked at everything that's going on, and that contra Tom, most of the staff haven't left.

So... does anybody have any more details on what's going on?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Tom Mahon is out at English Cut now: https://www.cuttinganswers.com/

The people still at English Cut disagree with his account of what happened. They also say they haven't been able to reach out to their customers because some of their computers got wiped, and that everyone is very surprised and shocked at everything that's going on, and that contra Tom, most of the staff haven't left.

So... does anybody have any more details on what's going on?

I got a form email from Tom, but I frankly have not been in touch with him, and don't know the details of the fallout between him and his partners. I did invite him to come onto the forum to discuss his version of the story, but have not received a reply yet.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WUT??? So sad, he is a true craftsman and and genuine gentleman.
Hope he starts up a new business. The suits he have made for me are the best I have. Hope he starts new business, I don't want to loose him.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people still at English Cut disagree with his account of what happened. They also say they haven't been able to reach out to their customers because some of their computers got wiped, and that everyone is very surprised and shocked at everything that's going on.

If one of the parties concerned has wiped information from computers I can understand how upset the other party must be.

This happened to me recently, an employee who I had known for a long time and trusted left and wiped all the information from his company owned computer. It was a spiteful thing to do and I lost all my respect for that person.

taion

Reaction score
Yeah. It sounded like there was a different side to the story when I called to ask about my current order ("we can't give you your deposit back").

Obviously I like Tom – I've used him for nearly a decade now – but it seems like there might be another side to the story here, and I'm curious what it is. I shouldn't like to have to pick sides between my cutter and what might be most of his tailors.

taion

Reaction score
Haven't heard any updates from Tom. Just got an email from the old English Cut today about making an appointment for their upcoming bespoke trip with their new cutters (plus Paul Griffiths, a tailor who's been there for a long time).

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom is out of EC, and has started on his own again in other premises in London. He will be offering bespoke and MTM. I intend to me him at 7 Windmill Str, London in a couple of weeks.

taion

Reaction score
Interesting! I guess he's setting up the London stuff before visiting his American clients? I haven't heard anything from Tom since he sent around the initial email.

stubloom

Reaction score
Derek Guy has an interview with Tom Mahon on his excellent blog, DieWorkWear.com. The interview sheds light on the circumstances surrounding the departure of Mr. Mahon.

Derek tells me that he will have a follow up article in the very near future.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the blog, DieWorkWear.com, I highly recommend it. Derek is one of the best writers around. Just the right mix of the technical and the practical/functional. Just my opinion.

You can also find his posts and Ebay picks on PutThisOn.com.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sad but too common story. I would like to know the name of the alleged vultures but assume the possibility of legal proceedings means he is reluctant to name them.

taion

Reaction score
Good to see that Tom's at Redmayne. Perhaps he'll keep Redmayne's lower pricing. That'd be nice. :wink:

There's a few parts of this story that don't quite add up, though.

It's not clear to me what he means in saying that things were put in place so that existing orders would be completed before he left. He earlier stated that none of the orders from earlier this year had been cut, despite the orders for the cloth already having gone in.

The new EC cutter now is apparently Edwin DeBoise, though. So that's interesting.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom cut a suit for me this May.
The new cutter used to work with Tom back in the days when they started Steed together.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another bankrupt?

Never heard before about him, but good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads