1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. tradernick

tradernick Senior member

I have no skin in the waiting game being played out here (actually bought my DR used from here a couple of years back) and I think that TOJ has been treating its customers like shit.

Having said that, you're either a troll or else you're seriously misguided. I'm guessing it's the worse of the two.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

I got a hold of Charly two weeks ago (~March 23) about status of my order.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Is that where all the jackets are going? Who is that guy? The Hamburglar of ToJ?

4. SloppyJoes

SloppyJoes Senior member

It's just Drew's coat rack.

1 person likes this.
  5. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

Lol. I know you thought you were being clever. But you further proved my point.

The Ford CEO doesn't only drive Ford cause he can do better. Drew doesn't own a TOJ cause he can do better. People on StyleForum could do better than TOJ. You should consider reading and trying to comprehend instead of looking for opportunities to write childish snarky comments.

My main point was TOJ was making people ask themselves and answer a question they didn't have to. Change the conversation. Yes, some people are limited by price, but lets not pretend that those people are on SF. That's TOJ's marketing gimmick, their tag line. "Best quality for the price blah blah". Most people on SF in this thread come for the "best quality/price ratio" and end up spending 3k on 4-6 jackets.

I didn't on purpose. The point of my dalliance with the lovely TOJ thread is this. This is StyleForum, we all know the rough demographics of this place. Don't kid yourself, its not BelowThePovertyLineForum. Instead of settling on mediocre imitation jackets that have amazing price-quality ratios that will never actually satisfy your want, go buy (or save up) for something you love. Jerking off into a banana peel will not satisfy your urge to have sex with that beautiful woman you met at the coffee shop last week.

When I see someone recommend TOJ its not "You should buy it its a great jacket" its "You should buy it its great value". What are you shopping for, a sick jacket or a sick marginal utility ratio?

...Thats all I have to say. Hopefully you guys can appreciate this perspective instead of sitting in front of your computer thinking of shitty one liners like the guy above (the bane of this place).

6. Roscius

Roscius Senior member

Perhaps you should consider your own advice. That wasn't my only example.

In addition you constantly post with a certain sense of pretentiousness and derision and I only reply because I find you incredibly distasteful. Any gripes you have or faults in my arguments that you have found have been answered by the myriad of posters after me.

And you should really curb your constant smugness because it most definitely is not justified. Reading and comprehension are unnecessary when viewing your replies because it really all is meaningless drivel. You make a number of claims but reinforce with little evidence.

7. panthermodern

panthermodern Member

4/5 here, hoping for the best.

TOJ0 ordered 4/13, received 6/13
    CWU-45 ordered 5/13, received 11/13
    DR2013 ordered 6/13, received 9/14
    QDR ordered 9/13, outstanding
    Wool MA-1 ordered 12/13, received 3/15

8. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Not sure what OJSIMPSON and the other trolls are trying to prove in this thread.

Look, all of us with money on the line here are basically stuck. We know that. Your schadenfreude at our potential misfortune is really off-putting. Shoe on other foot and all that...

When we bought spots, ToJ was a thriving concern, with reasonable wait times and responsive customer service, and a good reputation for "quality." Sure, there are probably comparable jackets out there at similar prices, but TBH I felt pretty good -- no, make that very good -- about giving my money to a forum member who bootstrapped his own business. (cf. No Man Walks Alone/Epaulet/WvG threads etc.).

1 person likes this.
  9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    9 people like this.
  10. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Classic - since there were some suggestions on changing my name last week, are we going with "Gob" for OJ from now on? Is there a vote or will Fok just make the change automatically?

There should also be a new leather jacket thread, for only jackets above $5000, to mock guys who can only afford SLP.

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

has 0jsimpson's trolling been, this entire time, all about justifying his SLP jacket to himself

11 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

What's great is how he describes the leather on his jacket as "leather that looks like, well, it would be on a $5,000 jacket."

I hope brands start catching on.

"Hiroki Nakamura improved on Visvim's trucker jacket this season by using a denim that, well, looks like it would be on a $3,000 trucker jacket, rather than the denim that was used last season, which looked like, well, it would be on a $2,000 trucker jacket. Next season, he will introduce a new, innovative denim that, well, will look like it belongs on a $4,000 trucker jacket."

4 people like this.
  13. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

To be honest I've never seen a SLP (or Balmain, or Balenciaga, etc.) leather jacket in person. I've never stepped into a high fashion boutique. I regard those as shops for rich people, and I ain't rich, and I'd feel out of place.

And I used to think those brands made jackets out of pure heaven. But then I read the leather jackets thread and very frequently you see people saying how bad the leather was in X leather jacket in Y season. Seriously, do you really have to be careful about which season some leather jacket that costs $3-5,000 belongs to because otherwise you might get crappy leather? And the sizing is not even consistent from season to season? Is that true? Do they do that while charging you for a jacket what a small car costs?

And if it's not about 'quality', what is it then? Design? Maybe you could argue about how good the MMM 5zip design is, but what about the SLP perfecto, which is not even an original design?

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Well, I'd never try to justify a SLP to anyone, but you can navigate crappy leather and sizing inconsistency by trying and handling before buying. Unless you are talking more about how anyone making jackets that expensive should deliver consistent sizing and only awesome leather -- maybe you are right, but it isn't the case :(

And the nice leather'd, rightly sized iterations can be quite nice sometimes. Like I mostly dislike Rick Owens, as they suffer from the inconsistent quality thing -- but the heavy calf stooges last season was pretty nice.

15. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Yes my concer
    Yes that's exactly what I was wondering.

In any case, comparing SLP to TOJ makes no sense, IMHO. Just like it makes no sense going to a Honda forum and recommending or comparing to an Aston Martin.

Personally when I ordered my TOJ it wasn't SLP I was comparing their jackets to.

I ordered a QDR, by the way. Someone posted this pic here recently. If what I get some day (if I get it) looks remotely close to this, it will definitely be money well spent. Even after the waiting, and even if it's not a SLP (incidentally jeans -which I don't like- and boots -which I like- are SLP).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah well I never really understood the point of telling someone who clearly wants and cares about different things to care about something you care about. It just doesn't go anywhere. So I don't know what the SLP fans are hoping to get out of that.

It's like those guys have tunnelvision and don't really understand that people have different values, care about different things and fundamentally -- that their own values are not objectively superior to others no matter the price tag.

Different strokes and ways to float a boat.

1 person likes this.
  17. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Dudes are obsessed with 'quality'. But when talking about style and clothing, quality is only one component and often not the most important.

I ride an old bike and I wouldn't think of wearing my RO or SLP leathers as an actual biker jacket for protection, etc. Clothes that are designed for maximum 'quality' and usability often look terrible or feel/fit terribly. They are practical and work well for their intended use.

It's all relative, anyway - I have the heavy calf from RO 2014 and it's thicker/softer than both my SLP leathers from the past two years,and people on SF drool over it, but the SLP leathers IMO are way nicer/better leathers. They are slightly thinner and tougher and, style wise, there's no comparison for me the SLP is infinitely more desirable. All depends on your point of view.

Different strokes is right.

18. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

Posting pics in the relevant brand threads?

19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

All well said. I think what this thread suffers from at times is a lack of appreciation for what an individual might not wear, but can see the inherent design, quality, stitching, etc... As was discussed yesterday, some jacket makers purposely produce leathers that are lacking in character and grain, as they are going for a certain look, and as was pointed out, in a more formal fit, that's desirable. Some makers produce jackets with crazy amounts of grain that some here hate. I own some of both...

We could use more "that thing looks unbelievable, but I could never (nor would I want to) pull it off."

20. dieworkwear

I don't think I've ever seen a $1,000 jacket made from materials that were genuinely crappy. Crappy meaning like what you'd find at H&M or some downtown, garment center, discount shop. When people say a leather is good or bad from one season to another, I take it to mean that they didn't like one vs another, not that it was genuinely crappy materials.

You also have to factor in large-scale production (which, even on a niche, high-end designer level, is meaningfully large). Sometimes a product will go through even though it wasn't cut to the best standards. I mean, nobody is going to pour their lives into making each jacket in a 1,000 jacket run. So, sometimes something bad slips through and makes it into a store (maybe a leather has some fat deposits or some wrinkling). This is factory-made stuff.