• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tips for helping someone learn english?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was asked to help teach someone english for a few hours a week. This person is already taking classes but I don't think they're very effective because there isn't nearly enough speaking involved and despite months of classroom classes there's still little progress in that regard. Any advice? I've never taught ESL or anything and was hoping someone might direct me to some books to get started, both for me and the student.

I don't really know where to start and don't have time to spend devising lesson plans, so something pre-packaged that follows a logical progression would be very useful.

thanks

Last edited:

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Conversation practice. What did you do today? Tell me about your country. If they can't do that you should decline because you 're not a teacher.

This is unpaid help so there's no ethical issue of selling a service for which I have no training, if that's what you're getting at. Or are you trying to say that since i'm not a teacher I could do more harm than good?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt exposure to much of any native speaker who has even passable grammar and syntax would be doing more harm than good, especially for the beginning speaker. Exposure and feedback, you're helping them a lot by offering to help.

Speaking is usually one of the hardest and final parts of language learning to come together for those taught formally, because it requires creation of phrases words and immersion with consistent feedback. How many written tests, readings, and monologues in traditional classrooms are structured this way.

Since you're the native speaker, I would just start speaking. You should be able to pickup on their level of speaking and adjust yourself to it. When you talk be mindful of what you say to aid in listening. Try talking at just a pace faster than they are speaking. It can be easy to slip into "normal" conversation patterns you'd have with those you spend time with which are fluent. Try to keep from doing this best you can.

Try to have guided topics to discuss to help introduce new words and phrases related to that subject. Hell, role play some common day-to-day life event they may struggle.

Another suggestion, for "sticking points" in the conversation, maybe have a laptop or tablet that can translate key words and phrases they might want to say in their native language, but can't express since they forget or are unsure of the translation. Then you can help them work through what they want to say with questions and feedback.

Lastly, I'd suggest patience on your end with repetition of phases/ sentences. On the other side of the coin let the speaker who's trying to learn not feel any shame in stopping to ask for your to repeat or explain. If they're shy about doing this you may assume they understand more than they actually do. Put the speaker at ease with your ability to be patient and helpful.

Last edited:

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm no formal teacher. It's just what I've found helpful trying to learn and just general reasoning.

Maybe some seasoned ESL pros here can school me. :teach:

Last edited:

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is unpaid help so there's no ethical issue of selling a service for which I have no training, if that's what you're getting at. Or are you trying to say that since i'm not a teacher I could do more harm than good?

I mean that I don't think you will be able to help them much with the very basic parts.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have the person watch television they can understand (for low-level speakers, animated shows and documentaries generally work best because they tend to speak the slowest). If they can't understand the general meaning of phrases in these shows won't help.

Reading the newspaper helps with vocabulary, idioms and if they've formally studied or otherwise understand the grammar it will help with general sentence structure.

What is your student's native language?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father knew a French Canadian who learned English by watching hockey on CBC. He obviously knew what was happening, and picked up some of the words to fit.

One other possibility is using DVDs of films that your friend knows, putting in the English dubbing instead of the original dialogue.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're right, classroom language instruction rarely gives enough of a chance for a student to speak, unless they are wealthy and it's almost one to one. There's no best or right or wrong way to learn a language, since the crossover from different languages is different most times, and their needs will be different. They probably have a steady basis in English from what they've learned in life already... but what you'd need to do and be conscious of is to speak pretty slowly and clearly, and speak in a slightly more formal tone than you're used to, use articles like 'a, the' etc clearly and properly, avoid slang or take the time to explain it if need be. Avoid colloquialisms for awhile, those and slang are merely fancy tricks once the learner has gotten going already.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was asked to help teach someone english for a few hours a week. This person is already taking classes but I don't think they're very effective because there isn't nearly enough speaking involved and despite months of classroom classes there's still little progress in that regard. Any advice? I've never taught ESL or anything and was hoping someone might direct me to some books to get started, both for me and the student.
I don't really know where to start and don't have time to spend devising lesson plans, so something pre-packaged that follows a logical progression would be very useful.
thanks

I think the most important thing is to help them realise that making mistakes is natural and that there is no shame in using something in the wrong context or mispronouncing a word, because they're learning. Helping my overseas friends speak English (and vice versa with Japanese and Mandarin) is just getting them used to mimicking what I say back to them, explaining the meaning of the phrase, any new words and helping them with the context in which they would use it.

Godot

Reaction score
A major problem I've encountered in assisting people with English, is that many of them have a body of friends and family that speak their language. There is also media such as TV or newspapers in their home language. These people may spend an hour learning English and then spend 48 hours immersed in their native tongue which of course they feel comfortable with. If someone can be persuaded to simply read and speak English only for a period of a week or so, their confidence level and ability will soar. On the other hand to the extent they retreat into a self-imposed ghetto, learning English becomes very difficult. Very often a person will know all hundred or so words of English which is enough to function with but are embarrassed because they feel their English isn't what do they think it should be. So my advice is to get the person to make a deal that for whatever time they will only speak English. If a friend or relative begins a conversation in the native tongue, they should say: Sorry I only speak English" No Jade World TV during this time.period. This can be very difficult for some people for a few days but after that it's a breeze.

i10casual

Reaction score
I do this all the time. Start simple with items and tasks you use at work. Repeat it with them until they are sick of you. If you don't know a little of their native language this can really be frustrating.
Next start asking simple questions. For me it's, "is this clean, is this ready, is it time for lunch?"

yousef

Reaction score
c

thanks
can u teach me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads