• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping Caterers Who Are Friends?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are putting together a party for her birthday, and I'm organizing and paying for the meal, which is being supplied by some old friends of hers who have a catering business. Here's the thing: After I contacted them about our plans/needs, they provided me with a quote that includes a 'friend/birthday discount', but I feel a little funny about that, since I'll be the one paying for it, not her, and I don't even know them. (Am I being neurotic?) At first, I figured I could just give the discount back to them in in an extra generous tip, but given their friendship with her, I'm afraid they might be offended by/refuse a tip entirely (they're invited to the party, BTW, FWIW).

I don't know that they would have offered the discount if they'd known up front that it was going to be on my dime, but on the other hand, I don't want to put them on the spot now by making that explicit. Their catering business is pretty popular and successful and all that, but I doubt they're rolling in dough, so I just want to be fair. Am I worrying about it too much? Gift horse in the mouth and all that?

What do you think?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would view the discount as an in-kind gift from the friends to your girlfriend. It is her party, after all, not yours.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Am I being neurotic?

Am I worrying about it too much?

Yes, and yes. Relax and enjoy the party. You got a discount; use it buy some new EGs for the party or something.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so would it be tacky to tip them? I think they'll probably end up delivering the food themselves, rather than have one of their staff do it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understadn your problem - I don't tip friends, either. can you do somethign for them about the value of what you would tip? take them out to dinner etc?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are friends and invited to the party, they won't expect or want a tip. They are doing it as friends while still covering their business expenses. Wouldn't you be offended if a friend you offered a gift to gave you a tip because the gift happened to be a service? Do tip the other staff though.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I understadn your problem - I don't tip friends, either. can you do somethign for them about the value of what you would tip? take them out to dinner etc?

I'm not sure about dinner... I met them once for about 5 minutes. We'll see.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I second the idea. If you don't have the sort of relationship where taking them to dinner makes sense, maybe a nice bottle of wine or something sent with a note thanking them for their help in making the party special for your gf.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool. Sounds good. Thanks globetrotter and lawyerdad for the specific suggestions, and to the others for helping me put it in perspective.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, this leads me to something that makes me feel awkward. When at a normal restaurant, and somebody you know ends up being your server, what then in terms of a tip? My girlfriend and I went out for dinner recently, and our server was a friend of ours (and an ex of mine). I just left a regular tip, but it felt odd, though I think it is what you ought to do.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Hmm, this leads me to something that makes me feel awkward. When at a normal restaurant, and somebody you know ends up being your server, what then in terms of a tip? My girlfriend and I went out for dinner recently, and our server was a friend of ours (and an ex of mine). I just left a regular tip, but it felt odd, though I think it is what you ought to do.

A friend who was a busboy at a restaurant took me there recently and confided how odd it was to have his friends and former superiors wait on him, even after being there several times since he finished his stint there. We left a nice tip, of course, in the upper end of what is generally considered the normal range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics