• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

Catalyst

Reaction score
Washington DC was very nice when I went there; completely unlike what I was expecting. But, there's a large bias towards government jobs, which is not for me. Also, I could see it getting old after a while. Georgetown would have been a cool school to to go though, and I hadn't even considered it.

Chicago is another city which I enjoyed tremendously, and had considered going to. Absolutely beautiful which I was there, however, that was in the summer... The people were all very nice, and outside the city there were some cool things going on(wicker park, linkin park, etc). Great finance opportunities. It's also a lot cheaper than NYC to live in.

Cons for Chicago: 1. I grew up in the midwest. 2. It's on a great lake. 3. The winters. 4. There is nothing else around Chicago, or the surrounding states.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catalyst
Cons for Chicago: 1. I grew up in the midwest. 2. It's on a great lake. 3. The winters. 4. There is nothing else around Chicago, or the surrounding states.
Yous forgettin' Milwaukee.

Vigilant

Reaction score
It always makes me laugh when people say the weather in Chicago is such a downfall when comparing to the east coast. Chicago has practically the same weather as NYC most of the time, within a range of about 10 degrees.

Most recently, NYC was hit, by far, with more snow than Chicago this winter. Note, I love NYC and may actually be moving there in the future, but just saying.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washington DC was very nice when I went there; completely unlike what I was expecting. But, there's a large bias towards government jobs, which is not for me. Also, I could see it getting old after a while. Georgetown would have been a cool school to to go though, and I hadn't even considered it.

I think you mean that Georgetown would not have considered you, not the other way around.

Chicago is another city which I enjoyed tremendously, and had considered going to. Absolutely beautiful which I was there, however, that was in the summer... The people were all very nice, and outside the city there were some cool things going on(wicker park, linkin park, etc). Great finance opportunities. It's also a lot cheaper than NYC to live in.

Chicago is about the same temperature as NYC, having lived in both cities. Whats surrounding NYC? New Jersey and Conn?

Catalyst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I think you mean that Georgetown would not have considered you, not the other way around.
No, I meant what I said. I was accepted into Brown, I'm assuming I could have gotten into Georgetown... I know the weather is similar, it just seems like Chicago would have the wind factor from the jetstream coming off the lake. NYC has more buildings to block it, plus the wind isn't coming it from the water(it goes west to east).

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know the weather is similar, it just seems like Chicago would have the wind factor from the jetstream coming off the lake. NYC has more buildings to block it, plus the wind isn't coming it from the water(it goes west to east).
lol.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know the weather is similar, it just seems like Chicago would have the wind factor from the jetstream coming off the lake. NYC has more buildings to block it, plus the wind isn't coming it from the water(it goes west to east).
Don't walk over to the Hudson River (I'm thinking Riverside Drive or West End) on a cold windy day.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I meant what I said. I was accepted into Brown, I'm assuming I could have gotten into Georgetown...

You were accepted into Brown and decided to go to college in Flordia???

rohde88

Reaction score
No, I meant what I said. I was accepted into Brown, I'm assuming I could have gotten into Georgetown...

ROFL, have you ever walked between avenues in Midtown? It's like a hurricane minus the rain.

This. No good schools in Florida unless you got a full ride and even then....

Vigilant

Reaction score

Again, another misconception about Chicago. The moniker, the Windy City, has nothing to do with wind. The name is attributable to the loud mouth politicians of the late 19th century.

Statistics have show Chicago to be just as windy, more or less, as NYC and Boston.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget, he's started and sold two companies, now wants to move to NYC to wait tables and try to land a finance job.
confused.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Don't forget, he's started and sold two companies, now wants to move to NYC to wait tables and try to land a finance job.
confused.gif

Maybe they were teeny-tiny-little companies. And/or ... maybe he just want's to be an ordinary guy. This is not to say I've ever had a desire to be that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics