• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties - are you wearing them less?

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I'm good for five or six tie days a week. ANd I don't take it off or loosen it until I get home.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
less.. Don't know why as I love wearing ties.. Just a phase..

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Virtually every day at work.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much wear one everyday. Unless I wear a polo shirt. Even then I still need something going on around my neck so I wear a scarf.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
love wearing ties, though i often get compliments on an odd occassion in which i chose not to wear one. The last time that was, i was getting hot and cold flashes and elected not to wear one.

Nexus6

Reaction score

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
How are ties holding up in the modern world - and in the SF world?
Has anyone decided to wear them less - or are you wearing them more for that matter?
Do you wear them now only for specific occasions, are you wearing them less for work in favour of maybe a jacket and just a pocket square? Or are you actually buying more?
Personally in summer which is very hot in Melbourne, I'm wearing them a lot less, but I always wear a lightweight jacket. In winter I'm tending to wear them a bit less in favour of a jacket, shirt cashmere sweater or sweater vest and scarf.

I like wearing ties, but don't have occasions to wear them for. My work environment is very casual and my social circle is the blazer-but-no-tie type.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rossini
Neither less nor more.

But, as has been commented all too often, the natural trend in a recession is to wear them more.

Why so? To stand out as a serious professional?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
love wearing ties, though i often get compliments on an odd occassion in which i chose not to wear one. The last time that was, i was getting hot and cold flashes and elected not to wear one.

I think the "blazer-with-shirt-with-top-button-unbuttoned" is a good look - put together but with something left undone...
smile.gif

tobinbridge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I like wearing ties, but don't have occasions to wear them for. My work environment is very casual and my social circle is the blazer-but-no-tie type.

I work around "business casual" and wear ties weekly, more so my social circle is open dress ***** and no jackets. A friends first impression when they see my tie is - did you come from work? And at some point in a coworker has asked - why do you wear a tie? And I answer truthfully, i like them. Plus they keep my neck warm in the winter.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
ANd I don't take it off or loosen it until I get home.
+1. Once I put on a tie, I don't loosen it or take it off until I get home. I might roll up my shirt sleeves, but I don't alter the tie.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Personally in summer which is very hot in Melbourne, I'm wearing them a lot less, but I always wear a lightweight jacket. In winter I'm tending to wear them a bit less in favour of a jacket, shirt cashmere sweater or sweater vest and scarf.

It's getting colder here my friend. As such I've taken to wearing a tie and jacket more often at work. I can usually only stand it twice a week at most during the heights of summer, but now it's temperate enough to don the neckwear more regularly.

That's not to say we should wear them all the time if we're not so inclined. A colleague of mine wears a tie everyday. The coffee stains on his washable ties go well with the packet-fold creases in his oversized shirt to convey a certain "slob chic". Sadly he's a typcial **** australis...

Rossini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1. Once I put on a tie, I don't loosen it or take it off until I get home. I might roll up my shirt sleeves, but I don't alter the tie.

+2 wear it or don't but don't leave it hanging half-pulled off at the end of the day :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads