• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Swap-Box Idea

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple, guys... mktitsworth's post above is a good guideline. As far as quality: whatever's in the box is whatever everyone wants to put in, but don't put in Towncraft and take out Kiton, obviously.

Box 2 is just a concurrent running of this, with some different folks involved. Whoever wants to participate is fine, and some overlap is to be expected. In fact, as the boxes make the rounds I imagine everyone will be interested in following along with updates on both boxes. The element of surprise and interest here is part of the attraction, not JUST tie swapping.

Box 2 guys need to get their address or at least city & state to mktitsworth so he can start drawing up a preliminary list by geography... Box 1 guys, be thankful that Canadian Thanksgiving is over! :devil:

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to answer this in parts, AFAIK, and then present options, as I see them - hopefully in a clear, straightforward manner that makes sense.

Just to clarify and not to be a jerk but I think everyone is getting a little too excited about this considering that we haven't started (I hope to recieve the package today, and if so, ship tomorrow)
The parameters of this proposed TSB#2 are not clear - is TSB#2 going to be an expanded version of TSB#1, so that all of the ties at the completion of round 1 will then become part of TSB#2?

As currently envisioned, Tie Swap Box Number 2 (TSB#2) will be completely independent of Tie Swap Box Number 1 (TSB#1). The two will not be destined to cross paths or have anything to do with one another. Should someone choose to participate in TSB#1 that is their prerogative. Should someone choose to participate in TSB#2, that is their prerogative. Should someone choose to participate in both TSB#1 and TSB#2, that is their prerogative.

I personally think that TSB#1 should make its rounds 2 times between the existing members before TSB#2 starts.
Alternatively, TSB#2 could run simultaneously with its own 15 or so members.
The last option is to include the additional members like SB, ****, etc. who had signed up for TSB#2 and expand TSB#1 for the second round, but then we need to cap the entries because we dont want it to take 5 months to wind its way around the continent.
Can we decide and clarify. I'm interested in participating again but being first on this list (and I'm not bitching here, because this will be awesome) I was looking forward to getting the surpirse box back after everyone had contributed and seeing the varied selection.

I see these as the basic bits, but I'm going to expand, maybe tweak, them and provide some analysis.

Option 1

Man, you box 2 dudes are seriously screwing up the simple nature of this.

I agree. This has the potential to get out of hand very quickly and it is almost there.

The simplest way for this to be dealt with would be for those in the TSB#2 list to wait until a new round for TSB#1 to get started. One box, one rotation. The upside of this is that it is incredibly simple and keeps the lives easy for those on box one already.

The downside to this is that it's however long the first rotation takes before those who also want to join in can get in. Moreover, keeping everything with one box means that as new people are added, the time between the box coming back to each person on the list goes down - assuming that more people are allowed to join as new rounds start.

I'm going to call this the baseline and compare everything to it for the rest of this post.

Option 2

My impression from reading this thread is that Box 2 would be separate and run concurrent with Box 1. Basically a different group who did not get signed up for box 1 on time (but with a few who are on both ??). I would strongly vote that both boxes go through the list twice before we reassess / create a new group etc.

I think that this is second easiest option. Have TSB#2 be independent of TSB#1. If people want to participate in both, that is their prerogative. In this case, I think that we should set up a second thread for TSB#2 so as to minimize confusion.

The advantage to this is that there is another box going around for those who would otherwise be waiting an undetermined amount of time to continue. As one of those people, I'm rather fond of this option. This also allows for the lists to remain approximately the same size as new people are added, thus cutting down on the problem of adding new people as the list goes on.

The downside is that there are two boxes to keep track of. This means that those on TSB#1 will miss out on the contents of TSB#2, and vice versa. There could end up being cool stuff in each that others might like to contribute, and those who are on both lists are split between what to contribute to each.

This is the situation as it stands currently.

Option 3
This one will probably be the most controversial and require a bit of explaining. The basic idea for this is to have two boxes going around one large list, each starting at a different point on that large list. For example, if there are 30 people on the Tie swap box list, then the first box starts With person #1, and the second starts with #16 and they loop through.

So as to make this clear I will lay out an example in a numbered list so as to make things apparent:

EXAMPLE
  1. A list of contributors for TSB#1 is compiled . Let's say it is comprised of Spoo, Levoosh, and allaboutshoes. (Remember, this is just an example).
  2. A list of contributors for TSB#2 is compiled. Let's say it is comprised of Sugarbutch, DerekS, and ThinkDerm. (Remember, again, this is just an example).
  3. Spoo seeds TSB#1 with three ties and sends it to Levoosh. Sugarbutch seeds TSB#2 with three ties and sends it DerekS.
  4. Levoosh takes one tie from TSB#1, puts one tie back in, and sends it to allaboutshoes. DerekS takes one tie from TSB#2, puts one tie back in, and sends it to ThinkDerm.
  5. allaboutshoes takes one tie from TSB#1, puts one tie back in, and sends it to SugarButch. ThinkDerm takes one tie from TSB#2, puts one tie back in, and sends it to Spoo.
  6. SugarButch takes one tie from TSB#1, puts one tie back in, and sends it to DerekS. Spoo takes one tie from TSB#2, puts one tie back in, and sends it to Levoosh.
  7. DerekS takes one tie from TSB#1, puts one tie back in, and sends it to ThinkDerm. Levoosh takes one tie from TSB#2, puts one tie back in, and sends it to allaboutshoes.
  8. ThinkDerm takes one tie from TSB#1, puts one tie back in, and sends it to Spoo. allaboutshoes takes one tie from TSB#2, puts one tie back in, and sends it to SugarButch.
  9. From here the list repeats, adding new people as needed.

Basically, there are two boxes going around the same big circle.

The advantage to this plan is that everyone gets to participate. There are also more ties in the total rotation which means that there are more options for everyone to consider. This also prevents one group from being the "Big timer" group and one group from being the "small timer" group, and the stigmas associated with each. It also deals with the problem of adding new members to the swap box as the average amount of time between when you will receive a swap box is maintained. Moreover, versus the current baseline, those people set to get TSB#1 end up receiving TSB#1 in the same amount of time, but also receive TSB#2 in the mean time. In this case also, nobody has more than one person to whom they ever have to send either TSB#1 or TSB#2.

The disadvantage to this is... Well, it takes a bit of thought. It also presents the problem of putting those who don't want to be involved in both in both, as well as doubling the total postage costs for everyone involved.

Conclusion[/SIZE=5]
Personally, I like the elegance and simplicity of Option 3, but that's the mathematician in me. It does make things more complex than some might want, and to a certain extent, I agree with the tough cookies bit that is atm. It happens. However, I would like to participate, and people will start another one if they want to start another one, so this at least lets everyone involved reap the benefits.

This is what I see as the way things stand. What say the rest of you?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 to option 2. AT LEAST FOR Now, I would rather have a simple system that works and miss out of a few ties from the "other box/rotation" then to end up with a system that ends up all screwed and the "seeders" never end up getting anything etc. One rule i always live by: KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid.
Maybe once we go through a few TSBs via option #2 and it goes smoothly, then we can expand on the idea and try other options.

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree...box 1 needs to go around twice..then box 2 can start. running 2 boxes at a time all over different places and people will get VERY confusing. lets not be too rushed...if were patient, these boxes can keep us busy for a long time....but if theres multiple lists and were getting a different box every week, i think the quality of the box will suffer. no need to rush.

+1

I am also under the impression that box 2 has nothing to do with box 1.

Last edited:

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

couple hundo?! good god man. im on my way to your house with my checkbook and amex. :lol::lol:

Wait! Am I alone? I thought everyone in the first round had to have at least a hundred? :fistbump:

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just thinking aloud, and highly doubt this would ever be the case, but what happens if you get the box and there isn't a tie that you want? Add to box and hope the next time around has something you may want?

Yep, pretty much...or just send it off status quo. If I get the box and I have nothing that will compare to the value within, I'm sending it off as I received it. I'd rather do that than feel like a douche taking something awesome and having nothing close for additions.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not excluding anyone. I apologize for not making my acknowledgement of your inclusion clear.

I sincerely apologize if I misunderstood you. I did not necessarily really want to be in on box #2 all that bad, but I don't like the idea of anyone being excluded when there seem to be exceptions to the rules. Plus I really felt as though I could be a good contributor.

I feel as if I have suddenly been delegated as the unofficial organizer of box #2.

Although I do not envy the responsibility you have assumed, I strongly encourage you to start a new thread to discuss the details of TSB#2. It will just reduce so much confusion if it is kept completely seperate from TSB#1.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although I do not envy the responsibility you have assumed, I strongly encourage you to start a new thread to discuss the details of TSB#2. It will just reduce so much confusion if it is kept completely seperate from TSB#1.

EDIT: I have started a TSB#2 thread. Please move all ideas and discussion of this idea to it's new location so as to keep things simple in both threads and reduce much confusion.

I would like to nominate member "mktitsworth" as the official keeper and organizer of that thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/269813/tie-swap-box-2-idea

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics