• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thursday Boot Co. Appreciation Thread News, Pictures, etc.

Luis G

Reaction score
Also, noticed that Amazon is also selling TB boots.
Are they direct from TB?

They are not different. They are actually sold by Thursday Boot Company but using Amazon to ship them. You still get free shipping/returns except you get better shipping rates.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a more dedicated outdoor boot for some (very) light hiking this winter and the Commander model appeals.

Any advice on sizing?

I take a UK 9 in most tall boots from Vass, EG, G&G etc. On occasion, where the last is particularly generous (Carmina Soller, for example) I can go UK 8.5. Definitely would would rather miss a bit large than a bit small. So am I a US10 in these?

SDB Guitars

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more dedicated outdoor boot for some (very) light hiking this winter and the Commander model appeals.

Any advice on sizing?

I take a UK 9 in most tall boots from Vass, EG, G&G etc. On occasion, where the last is particularly generous (Carmina Soller, for example) I can go UK 8.5. Definitely would would rather miss a bit large than a bit small. So am I a US10 in these?

I can't comment on UK sizing vs USA sizing, but for mid/high rugged/outdoor, I love my Vanguards in Sand (though I did end up dying them Oxblood). The Commander from the Rugged Collection greatly resembles a Danner Mountain Light II. If you want a higher rugged/outdoor boot, the Explorer boots seem like a good choice.

delaneyc

Reaction score
I need a new winter boot and I have been looking at the FRACAP M120 NATURAL VIBRAM SOLE SCARPONCINO BOOT but I really like the Commander in Tobacco. It's really about quality at this point so the question I have is would The Thursday Boot Company be on par quality wise? I am the type to look after my boots/shoes so I want something with a minimum 5-10 year lifespan.

Thanks

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a new winter boot and I have been looking at the FRACAP M120 NATURAL VIBRAM SOLE SCARPONCINO BOOT but I really like the Commander in Tobacco. It's really about quality at this point so the question I have is would The Thursday Boot Company be on par quality wise? I am the type to look after my boots/shoes so I want something with a minimum 5-10 year lifespan.

Thanks

If you are going to wear them everyday you will not get that many years. If you rotate them say wearing once a week maybe and you are going to have to do resoles in any case. I have shell cordovan boots (not Thursdays) now those are going to last a lifetime, then passed down or sold if they don't fit. Thursday boots are nice for the price point but if you want that many years I think you have to take it up a few notches.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting my first pair of chukkas. I am looking at the scout. I am a bit unsure about sizing though, since I wear an orthotic. My orthotics come in 3 forms: (1) Full-length insole replacement, (2) sport insert, and (3) dress insert. I have only ever worn a 10.5D shoe. With a sneaker, I replace the insole with my orthotic, and it fits just fine. With a dress shoe, I generally need something that has a taller heel so the orthotic doesn't make my foot too tall. I currently wear AEs in the 65 last with the dress insole and in the 42 last with the sport insole.

What sizes should I order for the Scout? Thursday says to go a size down from sneakers, but with a few different orthotics to try, I am not sure that would be best.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the diff between the "captain" and the "vanguard". they look quite similar. is it mostly the fact that the vanguard is MIUSA?

the vanguard shaft looks a bit shorter, which i like, but it's hard to compare and i would assume that's just photos and they're basically the same shaft height.

SDB Guitars

Reaction score
what's the diff between the "captain" and the "vanguard". they look quite similar. is it mostly the fact that the vanguard is MIUSA?

the vanguard shaft looks a bit shorter, which i like, but it's hard to compare and i would assume that's just photos and they're basically the same shaft height.

Vanguard is a “service boot”, and is a bit chunkier than the Captain, which seems to be a little pointier in the toe box. Vanguard appears to be made of a heavier leather and (depending on the Vanguard model), has a different sole. Vanguard also has eyelets all the way up instead of speed hooks at the top, and as you mentioned, they’re made in the USA.

I have a set of Vanguards in Horween Essex (the “sand” color). I dyed them Oxblood

C59D2960-9EE2-43AF-A629-D2A302D66491.jpeg

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just received my thursday captain boots. they look and feel great (smell a bit plastic tho). unfortunately, i didn't take my right size. they suggest my dress shoe size but the boot feels spacious.

i've never owned boots before - how should i properly size them? should they fit similar to dress shoes? if so, then i need to size down 1 or even 1.5 from what i purchased.

thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads