• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thursday Boot Co. Appreciation Thread News, Pictures, etc.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
I already own TB chelseas (these are the 1st batch when they came out). Really pleased as these have seen 2 winters now and continue to be in my weekly rotation.

However, I ordered the "Captain" from Amazon recently and was slightly disappointed. The boots looks really good but the leather is kinda thin and doesnt look like it will hold up or last many years to come. It went back. I ordered Taft boots (made in spain) from a reddit thread and was surprised at the quality/finishing....its a keeper.

I sold my Wolverine 1ks recently so put that cash towards the TB chukka (dessert). I own Clarks which I wear a lot in summer (cough..even with shorts/shirt) so thought this should be a nice upgrade. I really dig the color/crepe.

If the comfort is anything like the chelseas, these should be a keeper!
20180530_174726.jpg

TDScout.JPG

View attachment 982623

Nate11

Reaction score
After 3 months in Michigan Winter here are my Thursday CXL Captains.

Comfort:
Amazing! like sneakers. Also fairly light.

Leather:
Looks great! I wish they were a touch thicker leather. The liner leather is very nice and comfortable.

Stitching:
Very nice! No fraying or loose stitching so far.

Durability:
One of the laces broke. I am waiting on the replacements I ordered so in the mean time it is tied back together.
Other than that, the leather is very soft and comfortable but that also leaves it to scratch/cut fairly easily. They seem to be holding up the salt pretty well! I clean them lightly at least once a week and condition every other week to ensure they don't dry out. The soles seem a touch soft and have a little more wear than I would like.

Cons:
There isn't a shoe tongue loop to keep the tongue in place. The tongues keep sliding to the outside!

Overall:
I have worn Chippewa's and Eastland's and these have been by far the best. I would recommend.

View attachment 941667

Could you please tell me the color of these Captians and what you use to treat them? I'm looking for a worn-in look similar to these.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is to either size half size down or full size.

I"m a 8D in all of my AE dress shoes. I suppose I can either go 7 or 7.5 in their captain boots

Doing some research, they sure love to give their product to well known youtubers

SDB Guitars

Reaction score

I"m a 8D in all of my AE dress shoes. I suppose I can either go 7 or 7.5 in their captain boots

Doing some research, they sure love to give their product to well known youtubers

See, and I had to size up. I usually wear a 9.5 dress shoe, but I ordered a 9.5 boot and it was snug/short. My toes touch the end. A size 10 would likely have worked out better. I had to use boot stretchers to finesse these to the point that I can wear them.

paxonus

Reaction score

I am a 9E in all my AE shoes. I bought the Captain in 8.5D. At first the width was very snug. After 1 day, it is now perfect. The length is fine.

Last edited:

geogibodies

Reaction score
Hi everybody, i've been reading for a while and really envy you guys for the great experiences you're having with TBC. But I'd like share my bad experiences with my first post in this forum (it's going to be a bit long).

I ordered a pair of Vanguard Natural US 8 in late July. It was delivered to me in about 5 days by UPS, which is extremely quick as I am from Hong Kong. So I guess the shipping cost of US$60 is justified.

Since I am new to the world of boots (own a pair of Suede Chukka only), I was confused about sizing and fit. I just followed their suggestion by ordering 1/2 size down from my sneakers. Turned out US 8 was way too small so I paid another ~US$60, send the boots back, and requested an exchange for a US 9 pair. Yes, a whole size up because I don't want to risk paying another 60 dollars just to try out US 8.5.

Then that's where bad experience came in. The US 9 pair took 2 weeks to arrive, which is extremely slow compared to my initial order. I guess it's because the courier is DHL instead of UPS, and a slower service was chosen so TBC can cut cost on shipping. About the product quality, there are a few differences between the exchange boots and the previous pair:

1. the exchange arrived with more scratches, which can be ignored because I'm not going to wear them lightly (as you can see in the pic below).

2. there are white markings around the outsoles and midsoles on both left and right. Not sure if they are excessive glue squeezed out when they sticked the outsoles on. That is OK too because the boots will get a bit dirty and the markings will become less apparent anyway.

White markings look like:
20180921_102549.jpg

3. The leather colour is more uniform in the previous pair. The exchange pair almost looks like 2-tone if you compare the quarter and the vamp, with the vamp in darker colour. Well, the inconsistency is kind of "consistent" if you look at both left and right. And with polish the colour may change too. So I'll just let it go.

the initial order looks like this out of the box:
boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting and photo quality but I think you get the idea.

The exchange boots look like:
20180921_162307.jpg

the vamps are noticeably lighter in colour.

4. Here comes the worst experience. The stitching near the eyelets is already damaged and it's only my 2nd week wearing it. It doesn't look difficult to repair but it really bugs me......

Here's a closer look at the stitching:
20180921_091724.jpg

I think the exchange boots I got are what you call "factory seconds", while the initial order might be a brand new boots.

I'd like to talk a bit more about sizing and fit.

With the US 8 pair I can barely put my left foot in without socks and my right can't get in at all. I didn't know my feet were that wide and thick, but the length is just right though. I read somewhere that Asian generally has wider feet but I never felt that because I used wore a Timberland in US 8 and a Nunn Bush Suede Chukka in US 9 with plenty of rooms. I never had to buy any shoes in E/EE or anything above. Not to mention I can easily fit in sneakers in US 8.5 or even 8.

Now the US 9 Vanguard has just enough width and rooms for my toes, but it is way too long. But it can be solved by wearing thicker socks, tighten up the laces a bit more and adding shoe inserts.

I have never measure my feet using Brannock device so I don't really know my size exactly. I would say I am responsible too for some of the bad experiences mention above.

Talking about comfort, my heels and left pinky toe are hurt. It should be better when the boots break in (or the boots break my feet in, just like a guy who said that in a Truman review thread :) ).

With all that being said, the leather quality is absolutely fine. The lining is smooth and supple. Feels and looks great. But I probably won't return and order more from them. I think I'll go to White's or other makers who can custom made my next pair for my weird feet......

I hope my review makes an interesting read :)

20180921_091724.jpg

Willj

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to order the scouts but am a little unsure with sizing. I wear an 8 UK in Meermin/Loding shoes. Any suggestions? Maybe 8.5 or 9? Thanks.

jjmonti

Reaction score
Does anyone have brown and brandy in any TB shoes or boots? Looking into getting the captains.
From the images I've seen, the brown captains get lighter as they wear in. I really Like the IEG's color but that brandy seems a bit too dark from what I have purchased as brandy.
IEG, has the brandy wingtips gotten any lighter?
Hoping to order some today or tomorrow. Has anyone compared the finish between a TB first and second's?
I could get some chukkas with the difference :rolleyes2:

jjmonti

Reaction score
Also, noticed that Amazon is also selling TB boots.
Are they direct from TB?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads