• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Piece Preference

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It's one of those eccentricities that if you independently come up with it or and feel natural in it, it's fine. If you have to ask...

This applies to a lot of the eccentricities/"sprezzatura" things that one reads about on the computer machine. If you have to ask, or stare in the mirror for a long time, or constantly think about it, it ain't for you. A three piece would never be natural to me, regardless of how wonderful, and I would wear it as something "unnatural". Same for the double monks with one strap loose, unbuttoned BD collars, fishtail pants, etc etc.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I like 2 button, SB with flat front pants best, I think. However, I do have a couple of DBs as well. I think they were referred to as a "deep fried Snickers bar."
biggrin.gif
MikePurpleLabel2.jpg

Were you wearing that today in the HEAT?!?!? Or is this from your files? If it's the former, you are a braver man than I! ETA: The suit is spectacular BTW..where did you pick it up?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This applies to a lot of the eccentricities/"sprezzatura" things that one reads about on the computer machine. If you have to ask, or stare in the mirror for a long time, or constantly think about it, it ain't for you. A three piece would never be natural to me, regardless of how wonderful, and I would wear it as something "unnatural". Same for the double monks with one strap loose, unbuttoned BD collars, fishtail pants, etc etc.

It probably makes a difference for us who are on the back side of 40. I've been wearing suits with vests more or less continuously since I was a kid. There was probably a 10 year gap where I didn't have any, but it didn't seem unnatural at all when I picked up my first one three or four years ago.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rob_Sutherland
I've always wanted a dove grey sb suit with a db waistcoat. Something very dashing and dapper about look to me. I do love a db vest, but I think it's pretty hard to get away with...

I only have two 3 piece suits at the moment, a navy db with a fairly standard 6 button sb vest and a 3-roll-2 flannel with a very unique 4 button sb vest with a waist seam (pictured below).

27xgsy9.jpg

I like this-the style, cut, pattern, etc.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It probably makes a difference for us who are on the back side of 40. I've been wearing suits with vests more or less continuously since I was a kid. There was probably a 10 year gap where I didn't have any, but it didn't seem unnatural at all when I picked up my first one three or four years ago.

By natural to me, I meant how I would feel wearing one, not that a three piece is inherently unnatural or would not look good on others.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
By natural to me, I meant how I would feel wearing one, not that a three piece is inherently unnatural or would not look good on others.

I know. I'm saying I probably feel a bit more natural wearing one because I grew up wearing them.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
What type of three piece do you prefer? Lots of options here in terms of styling...I'm most curious about vest style and jacket button stance.

I'm thinking of a sb 2 button jacket, with a standard 6 button vest (four pockets) with flat front pants.

How about you?

I wear three piece suits quite frequently, with the exception of summer. Most of my three piece suits are 2 button jacket, with a button vest-four pockets. I get lots of compliments. I do not care for vests with lapels, however-just a personnel preference. I do have two double breasted vests-it breaks up the monotony.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Were you wearing that today in the HEAT?!?!? Or is this from your files? If it's the former, you are a braver man than I!

ETA: The suit is spectacular BTW..where did you pick it up?

Not today, no. Although I would wear it sans vest in the heat, it is light weight. It is a Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Chester Barrie era suit. I also have one in brown nailhead. Both were E-Bay scores and both are pretty wild.

PurpleLabel2.jpg

This is also a 3 piece, although I don't have a shot with the vest.

Mike

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Right now I have three three-piece suits:

1. Solid charcoal grey worsted HF MTM. Jacket is SB 1B PL. Vest is DB with shawl lapels.

2. Charcoal brown POW plaid HF MTM. Jacket is SB 3B with NL. Vest is SB with notch lapels.

3. Blue feather herringbone Despos bespoke. Jacket is SB 2B with NL. Vest is SB with notch lapels.

Sorry, no picture of the vest.

As for a favorite, I'm not sure I have one. I like a variety. I now have 1B, 2B and 3B SB jackets on mine. I have both peak and notch lapel jackets. I have both single and double breasted vests. The common elements are that they are SB jackets and all of my vests have lapels. I think I prefer the lapelled vest look.

These are beautiful, Mark. Is the Despos your latest acquisition?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Not today, no. Although I would wear it sans vest in the heat, it is light weight. It is a Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Chester Barrie era suit. I also have one in brown nailhead. Both were E-Bay scores and both are pretty wild.

PurpleLabel2.jpg

This is also a 3 piece, although I don't have a shot with the vest.

Mike

Wow...great going on the eBay.

I don't know if it's just me, but most of your suits make such strong statements it seems they demand French cuffs, yet I don't think I've seen you wear them.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rob_Sutherland
eulx55.jpg

210n5ti.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it on yet (it's around a 14oz flannel and it's hot!) but it will be one of my 1st WAYWRN posts. The back of the vest at the bottom is a normal to normal/high cut while the bottom front is quite low. It sort of reminds me of a snowplow on an old steam train.

Don't you mean a cowcatcher?
CowCatcher.jpg

Great suit; I completely agree with you on the longer waistcoat, I prefer to not have a high rise on the trouser and this vest length nicely allows to have a more normal sitting trouser / rise.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a bit of a signature of mine. I like 1 button slanted pockets and a vest with lapels and 4 pockets:

3820913477_87f07b1d45.jpg

This is me wearing the same style about 4 years ago:

...03816537_o.jpg

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
My favorites are probably three-pieces with 6x2 double breasted jackets and single-breasted 6-button waistcoat.

Close second runner up is 2- or 3-button single-breasted jacket with a notch or shawl lapel DB waistcoat.

Single-breasted waistcoats with lapels look kind of "off" to me, but I love them with the double-breasted versions. As much as I admire them, I still have yet to acquire any 3-pieces with DB waistcoats.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesTedon