• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Potential Bespoke Commission

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That being said, I like the idea of epaulettes. I have them on mine.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I dunno, I think the nature of this jacket actually requires such details. If it was about 'less is more', why all the pockets? No one is seriously going to use them. To me, this jacket is all about the vaguely military air. The epaulettes lend to that. Plus, they make me feel fancy (in a masculine way).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I dunno, I think the nature of such a jacket actually requires such details. If it was about 'less is more', why all the pockets? No one is seriously going to use them. To me, this kind of jacket is all about the vaguely military air. The epaulettes lend to that. Plus, they make me feel fancy.

It's funny you mention the military, as that's exactly what I don't like about it. I'm not in the military, have never been in the military, have no plans to join the military, and so don't want to wear clothing that conspicuously invokes military imagery. Besides, I'm a skinny little dude, and such clothes would only look like macho posturing on me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ It's probably just my Napoleon complex showing through.

Phil Ossiffee

Reaction score
This is much simpler than your proposed design, but it uses a much heavier material, unstructured. Sorry it's not a great shot (the spottiness must be the flash) but ran out of time. It's a 4 button front (might normally use 1-2 of them), sport jacket style buttons on the sleeve cuffs. Maybe it's a little help?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP,

Do it as short as possible, just enough to cover your rear as the fronts have squared ends like a shirt. This is a shirt jacket, so I would not put in any padding or have any canvas. Think of it as a shirt. Choice of cloth is critical since there will be no structure. A cloth with lots of body is essential. A good tweed is one that comes to mind for winter use.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Epaulettes always remind me of Roger Moore

I know
inlove.gif
laugh.gif

yachtie - you raise some good points. Maybe I shouldn't half-line it after all. Yes, the cloth is a solid.

mafoofan: Where would one buy such a jacket RTW in the US? I haven't seen one like this, though I don't window shop much.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phil Ossiffee
This is much simpler than your proposed design, but it uses a much heavier material, unstructured. Sorry it's not a great shot (the spottiness must be the flash) but ran out of time. It's a 4 button front (might normally use 1-2 of them), sport jacket style buttons on the sleeve cuffs. Maybe it's a little help?

Thanks for the pic Phil. I think the one you posted just looks like a slightly tweaked sportcoat with patch pockets. As maffofan put it, I am looking for something with a militaristic air.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you like the one by Carl, why not just go see him since you're going to be in NYC?

Because I'm proposing more of a looser and longer jacket to be worn over a heavy sweater, rather than a fitted shirt jacket. I assume this'll require a suit tailors work?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eustace, have you considered just doing this RTW? I bought a similar jacket from Marinella last year. It has many of the features you're looking for and was much cheaper than bespoke. The style is trendy right now; I'm sure you could find a high-quality version.

I second this. Engineered Garments (a brand much loved over at SW&D) makes 2 great jackets in this style in various types of fabric.
the Norfolk (pictured is the herringbone version)
norfolkjkt-woolhb1.jpg
norfolkjkt-woolhb2.jpg

the Bedford
CIMG0428.jpg
IMG_4213.jpg

As with all EG designs, these should be roomy enough for your needs since they're meant to be layered over other garments.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
mafoofan: Where would one buy such a jacket RTW in the US? I haven't seen one like this, though I don't window shop much.

The jackets were all over Rome last spring; if you believe GQ and Esquire, the trend is trickling down to the U.S. I know Fay makes a version. I did a quick and dirty search online and this is what I found:

mil1.jpg

http://www.jpressonline.com/outerwea...etail.php?ix=2

mil2.jpg

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Khaki

mil3.jpg

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Olive

mil4.jpg

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...63500cat255915

There are also a few on the Saks website. Neiman Marcus has an absurdly expensive Brunello Cucinelli version in microfiber ($2,500!). Paul Stuart has a few, but they're also all microfiber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads