• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Peacoat

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana - The Model is 'San Francisco' Storm Cashmere.
In Navy. Yay or Nay?

16m6fs2.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tell me more about those vests,are they on sale or full retail?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get it if you like to put your hands in your pockets: those have "hand-warmer" pockets too high up the chest (you look like a kangaroo / T. Rex if you put your hands in them) and storage pockets below with a horizontal top and flaps, meaning they aren't comfortable for the hands either unless you completely unbutton the front and use them like hoodie/kangaroo pockets. It's a common issue with peacoats and certain other outerwear, for me at least; I try to look for coats with angled pockets.

If you don't use your pockets much -- for your hands -- then it's Loro Piana cashmere, you could do a helluva lot worse...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay.

Taxler

Reaction score
This is the more formal and refined version of a peacoat, but if that's what you're after, this would be ideal. LP has another version that's more traditional, but I haven't seen that model in their catalog for a few years; it should be available upon request. The Cashmere is also not the most durable fabric so consider how much wear you intend to subject it to. They will make it in a heartier wool fabric upon request, but you'll have to pay retail.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got that same coat (on the right) in forest green. I love it. Feels and looks great.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay. Big thumbs down for me.

I try to avoid gentrified versions of clothing that were originally made for durability/utilitarian purposes.

Would you wear this Loro Piana item out into the rain? would you mind a bit of splash of seawater on this pea coat?..........Probably NOT considering how expensive/exquisite it is.

I just go a Buzz Rickson Peacoat. Modeled after the very original US navy (in fact exact duplicate, in 36 oz wool melton). I would not mind a bit if dirt/water/snow/slush gets on the jacket.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. I understand the pocket issue above, but I don't think it's a deal breaker if the coat fits and the price is right.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Lee there. Get a Buzz Rickson instead. That thing is awesome and really looks and feels like a peacoat should. you won't regret it - one of my best purchases ever

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Nay. Big thumbs down for me.

I try to avoid gentrified versions of clothing that were originally made for durability/utilitarian purposes.

Would you wear this Loro Piana item out into the rain? would you mind a bit of splash of seawater on this pea coat?..........Probably NOT considering how expensive/exquisite it is.

I just go a Buzz Rickson Peacoat. Modeled after the very original US navy (in fact exact duplicate, in 36 oz wool melton). I would not mind a bit if dirt/water/snow/slush gets on the jacket.

I find the pursuit of 'authenticity' fairly ridiculous, myself. And I wore mine in the rain all day today. You might as well shop at the Gap if you're going to worry about getting your clothes a bit dirty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads