• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on my dream home design (Colonial French-Cambodia)

Milpool

Reaction score
I like it, but, I too have my doubts about how comfortable it would be in Oregon.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
To OP: This may seem irrelevant but do you happen to be Asian? Otherwise that would make things weird when people come over and you'll have to explain to them why you have a Thai house.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
To OP: This may seem irrelevant but do you happen to be Asian? Otherwise that would make things weird when people come over and you'll have to explain to them why you have a Thai house.
Same reason he has a ladyboy in the master bedroom.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulSLH
In my view (which is quite possibly too pretentious, since I'm an architect), the house if dropped in Oregon, would retain its beauty as an object, it, in itself would still look the same, but it would lose its beauty as a home, as a usuable, practical building, it becomes a museum piece, a disney theme park.

Thai houses are on stilts to avoid flooding and predation, they are of an airy, lightweight wooden constructions because they are built from the locally available hardwoods in a hot humid climate, that has little variation in temperature, either day/night or seasonally, and they have large overhanging gables on all sides to shield the house from the baking sun. I would suspect that most of these features would be unnecessary in Oregon, and would probably leave you with a very cold, draughty and gloomy house, built on stilts at great expense and for no valid reason, and one that looks even more like a disney house than the Thompson House would, as a needless pastiche with no real heritage or history to it.

As house in the Northern Hemisphere, in a temperate climate, you would be much better off looking at vernacular from regions that share some similarity with your own. South facing glazed frontages to make the most of the winter sun, high thermal mass construction in stone, earth or concrete to retain heat in winter and allow night cooling in summer, and good insulation would all be more practical, more efficient and more relevant than transporting something into an environment it was never designed for.

I certainly understand the Disney effect it might create, though I suppose my whole approach is that sort of polar opposite of the trend in modern architecture- I want to escape or build an oasis entirely cut off from the surrounding environment so I can forget that I live in this depressing place. I realize most architects these days like to build stuff that blends in with the environment, with extra kudos if it's environmentally friendly... but I find those modern places with their huge windows, exposed suspension cables, fanciful composite beams, etc. to be void of character and feel rather stale after 20 years. I think one of the reason my design might seem tacky is that we so rarely see authentic foreign architecture that the only reference we have is with theme parks.

Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Well it might be akward if an actual Thai came to the house, but otherwise the majority of asian-americans, hell even asians in asia, live in western or english style houses and no one feels akward when I enter
wink.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think if you do a thorough job with it, it'll be nice.

I don't see the difference between having a Thai house and a modern one in Oregon. Both are going to be out of place.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
funny how many guys are criticizing this and probably live in some Toll Brothers box.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just use quality materials and it can't look that bad. I am very worried that a house like this might involve lots of stucco for most people though.
frown.gif
Finding skilled workers will probably take years. Submitting floorplans and permits will probably take at least 2 years. The actual labor itself will probably take 2 years. Quality materials will probably be at least $500K. If there is lots of vegetation on a hillside, even better. Next to a McMansion, it will certainly seem out of place. There are Asian style buildings all up and down the West Coast.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Just use quality materials and it can't look that bad. I am very worried that a house like this might involve lots of stucco for most people though.
frown.gif
Finding skilled workers will probably take years. Submitting floorplans and permits will probably take at least 2 years. The actual labor itself will probably take 2 years. Quality materials will probably be at least $500K. If there is lots of vegetation on a hillside, even better. Next to a McMansion, it will certainly seem out of place.

There are Asian style buildings all up and down the West Coast.

I fear that cost estimate might be accurate... below is my alternative and cheaper plan for a much smaller all-wood over-water house by itself (not three put together like in my original), which actually shouldn't cost more than a normal nice house. I could also feasibly build it on land since I know a guy with a barge and we could hoist it up on top of the pilings maybe. Hopefully this design would blend in more.

Good point about the hillside- yeah this lot I have in mind is an old dock jutting out of a steep hillside. The hillside was logged a generation or so a go so I feel like I could get the permit to plant slope-stabilizing hardy palms all over the place fairly easily. With this house over the river framed by the backdrop of a hillside of palms, would be picture perfect. The piling permits aren't actually that hard if the land already possesses them.

deletesure-24.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the idea of houses on stilts or otherwise raised (loved that picture of the tokyo house over carport in the small spaces thread).

That being said...I think I have an aversion to design that attempts to capture the past rather than pushing forth with the new (especially using things like faux-columns that are not needed to support structures with modern building materials).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that much better than going for a traditional facsimile you should have a good architect reinterpret the idioms and ideas you present into something that is new and an idea in and of itself.

The photos you've come up with would look marsupialed in oregon. In fact they'd look marsupialed anywhere but Bangkok.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
The photos you've come up with would look marsupialed in oregon. In fact they'd look marsupialed anywhere but Bangkok.

We don't use that word on here. Oh wait I'm on styleforum.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Having also lived in SE Asia for a little while I think that this style looks okay - when done well and in context (SE Asia or at least a tropical location). I do not think it would be practical in many places, and might not 'age' well, visually outside of SE Asia.

If you want to try it out though - do it and enjoy it.

krillin

Reaction score
why not take something thai in concept but go modern? i think the grand thai houses have big courtyards and seperate areas for kitchen, sleeping, dining. living that are a few minutes walk from one another. perhaps you could do that if you have a huge property.

here's a nice singaporean colonial.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h...Navsingaporean house.

a little bit more modern but still decidedly asian.
http://ctoarchitects.com/

what do you guys think?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
bad link

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads