1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

people who post play by play comments and/or opinions of a sports event on fb. okay so you're a fan- whoop-de-fuckin'-doo.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

initially the password is usually your own telephone number.

what I don't get is why people don't just get to the point with voicemails. clearly state your name and telephone number in the first sentence of the call.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

We have now password on password ..

It's getting ridiculous ...

Like if you call a call centre,they ask 10 times the same security questions before trying to push you to use the online system..

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Google voice, people. Comes right to your email, along with a hilariously garbled automated text version of the message.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't get people who drive, especially on the highway, with their windows down while talking on the phone. They invariably end up hunched up trying to avoid the wind noise, obviously shouting into the phone they have pressed hard into their face. Why not just roll up the window?

6. otc

otc Senior member

Yes.

Also, you have a password so other people can't listen to your voicemail. On most services, you can disable that password when you are calling from your own number. e.g. if I call my google voice number from my phone, it goes straight to voicemail (although I would never do this now that I have a smartphone with the GV app and email). The same thing was true of my AT&T-provided voicemail before I switched to GV.

At work, I still have to provide a PIN, but we have an ancient phone system...My understanding is that a modern Cisco phone system that packages up your voicemails and drops them in an email would all of the sudden make voicemails discoverable (the current system has no way to save or backup a voicemail...it might sit on your phone for 2 weeks if you don't delete it, but after that it is gone forever).

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The voicemail button doesn't work on my office phone, so I have to remember the stupid extension, enter my own phone number, enter my PIN, then listen to messages. Thank god nobody ever leaves messages anymore.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My office v-mail emails an mp3 of any v-mails to me so I just tap and listen to them on my iPhone. It's pretty handy.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yes, those are often very funny.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I don't get why I do not take my own mental advice more often. Smart me knows how I really should live my life, fun me scoffs.

11. Dr. Class

Dr. Class Member

I don't get why people ever drive with the windows down ever. I don't like the wind blowing in my face and messing up my hair.

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Which one gives you mental advice? 'Cause fun you sounds like a lot more...fun.

I can't get with that. I love driving with the windows down. Definitely can't do it when I need to be presentable, but you can't beat the feeling of windows down (or doors off on the Jeep) with the music cranked on a beautiful day.

1 person likes this.
  13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I like driving with the windows down, but I do not have enough hair on my head to get messed up. (That is on account of male pattern baldness, an affliction that afflicts some men.)

14. otc

otc Senior member

The best part is leaving intentionally odd messages when calling people that you know have GV.

"Hello James, The topless model is awaiting return from bingo home call 212-818-4856 good eating cake"

Then they have to listen to it to figure out wtf it is actually about...only to find the voicemail repeating the same nonsense back to them. Since they have already read the text, they won't immediately register that anything is off.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

That reminds me of a running back-and-forth one of my old bosses used to have with a friend of his. They both had Nextel push-to-talk phones, and they had a little competition where they'd randomly push-to-talk each other with the most vile, offensive stuff they could think of. Since those things were basically walkie talkies, everyone in the room could hear what was being said. I remember at least once sitting with my boss in the office and hearing the little beep followed by a stream of obscenities that would make a sailor blush. He told me he once got his buddy right in the middle of a meeting at work.

It was awesome.

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

According to Click and Clack it is actually more gas efficient to drive with the ac on than the windows down

17. otc

otc Senior member

At highway speeds (at least in modern, relatively aerodynamic cars), open windows create a ton of turbulence and drag which pulls down your gas mileage.

At lower speeds though, you are burning extra gas to run the AC...and if the wind from driving 30 with a window or two is enough to bother you, you are probably a sissy-boy. What? its going to mess up your precious hair?

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Alas after having grown up in hurricane country and later spending a goodly portion of my life in mountains and on boats at sea my love affair with the wind has waned significantly. If that makes me a sissy boy so be it

19. MrG

MrG Senior member

Why are we even talking about the efficiency implications of windows-down driving? No one said we do it because it saves gas. We do it because it's awesome.

20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

[​IMG]