Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Shoya and sesame?

Beer.

Luckily I have two [​IMG]

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

riesling! i once had a dinner where matuschka (schloss vollrads) paired all 12 courses with one riesling or another. works fabulously, even with beef.

can you get stuff like Hermann J. Wiemer or Dr. Konstantin Frank in LA? Wonderful stuff that is gaining some very good attention, but it can be hard to find.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i've seen frank. not familiar with wiemer.

4. JPYPSU07

JPYPSU07 Senior member

Dr. Konstantin Frank is great wine. I was at their vineyard store in NY a couple weeks ago and bought a case. They will ship directly to you if your state allows it. I'm in PA so you can't get it shipped but its only a ~2 hr drive for me. The semi-dry and the dry rieslings are both good. They also have their Meritage which is also great, they have a cheaper and more expensive version.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^wiemer is awesome. highly recommend. i thought it was a lot rounder and fruitier than the alsatian and german rieslings i've had.
    it's the difference between white burgundy and chablis, frenchy. chardonnay naturally has a kind of sharp green apple acidity (malic acid). to soften that, winemakers induce a second fermentation in which the malic acid is converted to lactic acid, which is perceived as rounder and creamier (buttery). this secondary fermentation is usually done when the wine is in oak, hence the descriptive "toasty buttery". this is a very popular style in American Chardonnay. in fact, you could argue that the taste of American chardonnay was set by Jess Jackson back in the '70s when he combined this toasty buttery flavor with a very small amount of residual sugar ... not perceptibly sweet ... which gives and even richer texture. Some argue this was critical for swinging a nation of scotch drinkers to white wine. Others argue that it is a travesty.
    from what i understand a winemaker will inoculate their wine post fermentation with lactic acid bacteria like lactobacillus which turns malic acid to lactic acid and in process forms diacetyl. lactic acid is that sour tasting stuff in sourdough bread, yogurts. diacetyl especially is the taste associated with butter that was a nice factoid about the history. going to do some more reading. i've had one chardonnay made with malo but no oak. it was pretty bad. i admit i'm a phillistine at heart. the one wine that really got me interested in wines was a glass of chateau st jean's 04 chardonnay. i was pretty amazed at how it looked like green, fruity, acidic white wine but tasted like butter which i thought went well with everything else. that summer i bought two wine books (california wine for dummies, idiot's guide to wine). and somehow managed to get in the wine class. i like buttery chardonnays every now and then.

6. elliott41

elliott41 New Member

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

7. nootje

nootje Senior member

Hollandaise sause... When I finally got it right, the fucking salmon hadn't done enough time on the grill so we had to wait. Finally the salmon was ready, the sauce had dIsintegrated. What's even more infuriating is that I Actually tried to plan the hollandaise properly. I hate this sauce..

But I will be making it again next weekend as its asparagus season here. (6 bucks a kilo) [​IMG]

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Passover

nootje - if you need inspiration, read the Thomas Keller essay on Hollandaise from the French Laundry cookbook.

9. nootje

nootje Senior member

Passover

nootje - if you need inspiration, read the Thomas Keller essay on Hollandaise from the French Laundry cookbook.

Thanks, ill do that.

With recepies I usually go about it relying on taste, only roughly using the measures in it. I think I overdid the amount of white vinegar/citrusjuice, which made it a lot harder to bind the egg and butter and made it consequently more sensitive to temp change..

but thats only my guess, im definately no chef..

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

UGH THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.

My sister ordered me a smoker for my bday as I mentioned elsewhere. Still not here, still no shipping info for her, nothing. I want to smoke a duck--what's that? I can't. I WANT TO SMOKE ANY FREAKIN THING AT ALL AND I CAN'T!

I can also predict, should I ever get this erstwhile gift, that I shan't ever use the kitchen again for cooking. Or at least, much less than I normally would. I'm going to smoke anything I can. May even give pizza a shot.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

UGH THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT. My sister ordered me a smoker for my bday as I mentioned elsewhere. Still not here, still no shipping info for her, nothing. I want to smoke a duck--what's that? I can't. I WANT TO SMOKE ANY FREAKIN THING AT ALL AND I CAN'T! I can also predict, should I ever get this erstwhile gift, that I shan't ever use the kitchen again for cooking. Or at least, much less than I normally would. I'm going to smoke anything I can. May even give pizza a shot.
    I just assumed you already did.... perhaps you can get some advice from D Rube

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ed, if you smoke some foie gras for me, you will be a real good bro. That fuckin' Piob refuses.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I just assumed you already did.... perhaps you can get some advice from D Rube

I've actually never done any drugs. [​IMG]

In fact in HS I was thought to be a bit of an addict because my eyes are habitually red (never mind it is just ONE eye) and I would always do stupid stuff.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Ed, if you smoke some foie gras for me, you will be a real good bro. That fuckin' Piob refuses.

[​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Why do you want to try smoked foie gras?