Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Yep. Your boy Matt Kramer did some research on an incredibly old (as in, older than you and rube COMBINED!) pairing from one of the old time fancy French places in NYC. It was pretty incredible. Yquem with oysters, the best red wine served w/ petit fours, and the most surprising thing to me--- champagne with lamb and brown sauce.
    IIRC, I served you sauternes with oysters at my place. I think we all thought it was excellent.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    and i got f*cking vouvray? you are dead to me matt.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

IIRC, I served you sauternes with oysters at my place. I think we all thought it was excellent.
    Are you sure? That was when we made the oyster/sausage/fennel cream dish and then had the $20 chicken with Beaux Freres, right? I thought we had Champagne for some reason.
    and i got f*cking vouvray? you are dead to me matt.

[​IMG]

4. SField

SField Senior member

well, i'm not privy to you two's backchannel tit-a-tits.
    i think the correct quote is "talk dry, drink sweet". ask most fine diners and they will scoff at the notion of a sweet wine, when those are some of the most spectacular made (and remarkably versatile ... jeremiah t swears that yquem is the perfect match for everything from oysters to roast beef ... i've had it with roast beef and he's not wrong).
    at the same time, the "dry" wines they'll prefer will have a trace of sweetness ... not mogen-david sweet, but just enough to give it weight and roundness.
    as i said, it's the transition from a cocktail culture.

As I've said before, I really don't like these big wines anymore. I love sweet whites that actually taste like fucking grapes and not a solution 12 year olds use to remove neon green nail polish.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

riesling! i once had a dinner where matuschka (schloss vollrads) paired all 12 courses with one riesling or another. works fabulously, even with beef.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

My lady is going to SF in a couple of weeks to sit on a panel at CCA. Wish I was going so I could talk to Matt about all the wine you guys have me Googling.

7. SField

SField Senior member

riesling! i once had a dinner where matuschka (schloss vollrads) paired all 12 courses with one riesling or another. works fabulously, even with beef.

I don't know where the hell we got the idea that you need jet fuel to pair with beef.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Kinda ironic to talk about fuel being a bad pairing in a Riesling conversation.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

what the hell is fusil oil anyway?
    to me, old riesling smells like pine.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Kinda ironic to talk about fuel being a bad pairing in a Riesling conversation.

what the hell is fusil oil anyway?
    to me, old riesling smells like pine.

Had a Riesling last year that had the distinct taste of gas (or petrol as tasting notes are wont to say). FWIW, I love Rieslings. I think I drank two in the last two weeks. They are also a great wine to introduce people to wine with.

K-dub, there will be three questions on the intro somm exam on German wines. One is what is spatburgunder (pinot noir), put the qba in order (KSABET is the memory device I created) and I can't remember the other [​IMG]

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Had a Riesling last year that had the distinct taste of gas (or petrol as tasting notes are wont to say). FWIW, I love Rieslings. I think I drank two in the last two weeks. They are also a great wine to introduce people to wine with.

K-dub, there will be three questions on the intro somm exam on German wines. One is what is spatburgunder (pinot noir), put the qba in order (KSABET is the memory device I created) and I can't remember the other [​IMG]

Thanks for that study guide, brutha.

12. Piobaire

[​IMG] Tried twice now and whatever Kinko's is called won't do it for me. I'm not going to ask my secretary to do this. [​IMG] When is the exam?

Okay, sous vide short ribs, cooking liquid Aloha shoyu and sesame oil with garlic and shallot in the bag. What varietal to pair with?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG] I'm just kidding, man. I can already pass the first test. I don't need a study guide.

14. Piobaire

[​IMG] I'm just kidding, man. I can already pass the first test. I don't need a study guide.

So then give me a pairing, Mr. Sassy.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Shoyu and sesame?

Beer.