• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with Pio. Which is why I won't consider myself ready to retire unless the nest egg puts me at 80-90% of current income, adjusted for inflation

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agree with Pio. Which is why I won't consider myself ready to retire unless the nest egg puts me at 80-90% of current income, adjusted for inflation

You expect to draw 90% of your pre-retirement income for a decade or two? Good luck.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I will be spending six days next week trapped at a second-tier Vegas hotel taking my daughter to a dance competition/convention. I love my kid, obviously, and like seeing her dance with her friends/teammates (although I have now seen all the pieces she dances in umpteen times), but . . .

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You expect to draw 90% of your pre-retirement income for a decade or two? Good luck.

Yep. I'm not going to get cocky, but it's very possible even assuming modest rates of compound growth. But you do have to start early

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cannot stand friends who ask you to hang out all the ******* time and act like you killed their child when you say "no" more than once. They will often ask if I want to go somewhere like 3 hours away the day before they leave, or if I want to drive half an hour to hit the bars at like 7PM on a Friday night.

Honestly I'd almost prefer to have no friends at all. Less stress.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will be spending six days next week trapped at a second-tier Vegas hotel taking my daughter to a dance competition/convention. I love my kid, obviously, and like seeing her dance with her friends/teammates (although I have now seen all the pieces she dances in umpteen times), but . . .

oh my god. Are you a dance dad? Even if you aren't, this sounds all manners of awful. Dance moms are crazy.

lawyerdad

Reaction score

oh my god. Are you a dance dad? Even if you aren't, this sounds all manners of awful. Dance moms are crazy.

I am indeed a Dance Dad. For local stuff, it's not that bad. I get a ridiculous amount of props for showing up regularly and being involved, just because dads who show up regularly are the minority. And at least at the studio where my daughter dances, the moms - while perhaps not who I otherwise would choose to hang out with - are not nearly as bad as the ones on the reality shows. Some of them are actually perfectly nice people.

The out-of-town stuff is more of a drag, especially since my daughter is now old enough that men are (appropriately) excluded from the dressing rooms, so I am hanging around but largely useless because I can't really help with hair/make-up/costumes, etc. But it's still important to her for me to be accessible, so it's not like I can drop her off and then go spend the day reading and maintaining a nice buzz by the pool. It can feel pretty claustrophobic, and the feeling of entire days being completely pissed away drives me nuts. (Of course, they aren't really being pissed away - they are being spent showing up for my daughter, so big picture there's no more important or productive way to spend them. But small picture immediate-experiencewise, it's a lot of standing around in air-conditioned, flourescent-lit hotel ballrooms or hallways, hovering near electrical outlets so my phone battery doesn't crap out and leave me music-less halfway through the day, thinking about how much work and/or fun stuff I otherwise could be getting done. :brick:)

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Reaction score

Well at least no one can doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Never having seen Donnie Darko, I had to google that -- despite my general reluctance to use my work computer to google unfamiliar terms encountered on this forum . . .

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I've got $280 and feel rich.

Yeah I know. I realize that I sounded like a dick posting that but the fact is, working for myself makes me terrified of running out of money. 4k is usually my panic button moment.

I have like 10k in receivables but who knows when they will get here.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My checking is going to dip below $1K for the first time in months shortly. Moving expenses=:fu:

I was just at the co-op. "Massaged kale" for $15.99 pound. Are you ******** me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads