• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm not offended I'm just chuckling at the thought the occasional sleep disturbance from work would trigger the need for therapy. If you read this thread you'll see repeatedly that us working stiffs can get this from time to time over the launch of a big/intricate project, a big presentation upcoming, etc. It's only a problem if it's constant; I'd rather say it's normal on the run up to something big.

Fair enough. Just throwing it out there. "therapy" has a negative connotation to it. Seeing a therapist to talk through an issue or two is a healthy thing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fair enough. Just throwing it out there. "therapy" has a negative connotation to it. Seeing a therapist to talk through an issue or two is a healthy thing.

+1. it has a negative stigma attached to it, to the detriment of many who could really benefit from it.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not offended I'm just chuckling at the thought the occasional sleep disturbance from work would trigger the need for therapy. If you read this thread you'll see repeatedly that us working stiffs can get this from time to time over the launch of a big/intricate project, a big presentation upcoming, etc. It's only a problem if it's constant; I'd rather say it's normal on the run up to something big.

I had this happen pretty consistently back in grad school. Stress + constantly thinking about projects = hard time sleeping. I found a combination of melatonin and valerian about a half hour before bed helped a lot. It lasts for awhile too, so should help with the waking up in the middle of the night business.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I had this happen pretty consistently back in grad school. Stress + constantly thinking about projects = hard time sleeping. I found a combination of melatonin and valerian about a half hour before bed helped a lot. It lasts for awhile too, so should help with the waking up in the middle of the night business.

I might give that a try. I find a martini after dinner often helps too. :laugh:

Even though launch of this project is not until October 1 I'll have my critical pathways all worked out by the end of next week so it'll be off my mind until mid-September.

On the flip side there is nothing like the sleep you get the night after you bring a big project to completion.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
without melatonin, kids bedtime at home would be impossible. that stuff is amazing.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Melatonin knocks me the F out! It's dangerous because if you don't get a full night's sleep, you'll be sooo groggy and dead the next morning.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Melatonin knocks me the F out! It's dangerous because if you don't get a full night's sleep, you'll be sooo groggy and dead the next morning.

See, that's what I can't have and why I won't use Ambien. I'd rather be running on not enough sleep vs. having my brain foggy from something I've taken.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

See, that's what I can't have and why I won't use Ambien. I'd rather be running on not enough sleep vs. having my brain foggy from something I've taken.

Everyone's different with it though. I take it when I can't sleep and wake up feeling good about 90% of the time. If I take something like a Xanax I feel like I just got backed over by a truck. A friend of mine has a completely opposite reaction to the two.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i took melatonin once, was kinda helpful, and did not feel groggy the next day at all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Everyone's different with it though. I take it when I can't sleep and wake up feeling good about 90% of the time. If I take something like a Xanax I feel like I just got backed over by a truck. A friend of mine has a completely opposite reaction to the two.

I just don't have much personal experience taking hypnotics or psychoactive medications. Well, I have zero with hypnotics and tried a Xanax once for flying.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just don't have much personal experience taking hypnotics or psychoactive medications. Well, I have zero with hypnotics and tried a Xanax once for flying.

ZOMG YOU CAN FLY?!?!?!?!?!??!????!!!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had two colleagues who had that and they were prescribed Lorazepam. One of them ended up on some escalator prescription that got stronger and stronger.

I had a work emergency yesterday so I spent most of the day dealing with that and then I left on a plane to see a friend but neglected to eat all day yesterday. I met him at brunch today and ate eggs, mussels, frites, all sorts of bad stuff and I feel like crap now at the airport lounge on the way home. My flight isn't even until 4 hours from now.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i took melatonin once, was kinda helpful, and did not feel groggy the next day at all.

Certainly everyone is different, but I have to take a reasonably large dose (then again I'm a reasonably large person) and I wake up just fine in the morning. I can wake up in the middle of the night and be functional if necessary.

The valerian is supposed to calm your brain down, not so sure about how effective it is but it seems to help when stacked with the melatonin. Melatonin by itself is great for getting to sleep, especially if you're fried your sleep cycle from traveling or insomnia.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we were supposed to have a family activity today, but the baby didnt nap in the morning. so the wife took the older kids out, and i have been cooped up in the house all day while the baby takes a late, and very long, nap. not cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads