• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have said this before, but I hate people in the office who don't silence their personal cell phones. They are assholes.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I attempted recaulking some areas in my bathroom last night. What a ******* nightmare. My whole bathroom, while sealed looks like I got into a **** fight with cake batter and icing. I am going to need to go over some of it with a razor blade to clean it up.

Do you prefer white caulk or black caulk and how about stiffness do you like a really stiff caulk?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did use latex. It just needs to be "cleaned up".

Ah. I would wait a few days for it to fully dry. It shrinks a bit when it dries, and some of the imperfections disappear. It's really easy to clean it up with water when it's wet.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I like exercising, I can't stand fitness cults. Crossfit is the worst- too many people I know do it.
A bit late, but I always use latex caulking, which can be smoothed nicely with a wet finger just after application.

This is why I do the cross-fit workouts in my regular gym. No annoying cross-fit people to deal with yet I get the work outs in (90% of them at least, no rings).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do you prefer white caulk or black caulk and how about stiffness do you like a really stiff caulk?

Come on, this is SF we don't take kindly to black. Also, stiffness adds to drape.

Ah. I would wait a few days for it to fully dry. It shrinks a bit when it dries, and some of the imperfections disappear. It's really easy to clean it up with water when it's wet.

It is an issue though, the tub area and the sink. It has to get constantly wet because of where it is. I don't want to shower out of a bucket for a few days.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just mean that, if you can't clean up the caulk when it's still wet, wait a few days before taking a razor blade to it. Should be fine to use the shower.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

its the training... you have to fit in running 30miles/biking 150miles/swimming 10miles into one weeks training. yeah you also have to fit in working and family there too. :facepalm:
road biking alone has too much obsessiveness/geeky-ness, its the people who mostly swim and run whom are mainly solitary laid-back types... its the tri-guys who are the annoying ones.

Agree there. I started training to do the MS 150 years ago, went on a big group ride and hated every second of it. Every second. Came home and hung up the bike forever.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neck is now feeling 200% worse, and I'm meant to be working at the forge tonight. I need to get this project finished.

hobo style

Reaction score
I hate the clipboard people -- the ones that stand in pairs on the sidewalk and pounce on every passerby with a pitch for whatever charity it is they work for. Well, I don't actually hate the workers; I hate the method of fundraising. It is violative in that it preys on our human instinct to give attention to someone who approaches us in a friendly manner. I feel guilt when I ignore and walk past a seemingly friendly person who is trying to talk to me, and I don't like to feel that way. The effect is that it hardens me towards other human beings, which is a negative outcome for a charitable initiative, I would think.

tldr; some charities are run by assholes

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I hate the clipboard people -- the ones that stand in pairs on the sidewalk and pounce on every passerby with a pitch for whatever charity it is they work for. Well, I don't actually hate the workers; I hate the method of fundraising. It is violative in that it preys on our human instinct to give attention to someone who approaches us in a friendly manner. I feel guilt when I ignore and walk past a seemingly friendly person who is trying to talk to me, and I don't like to feel that way. The effect is that it hardens me towards other human beings, which is a negative outcome for a charitable initiative, I would think.

Yes, yes, yes. They pray on guilt. I am an asshole though so I enjoy telling them no. Walk past them, don't acknowledge them, what they are doing is tricking people. Giving money to a charity because your intentions are pure is different than not being able to stand your ground if you don't want to actually give to the charity. Does money still reach them? Sure, maybe, but you will be personally ruined. Shame on you.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, yes, yes. They pray on guilt. I am an asshole though so I enjoy telling them no. Walk past them, don't acknowledge them, what they are doing is tricking people. Giving money to a charity because your intentions are pure is different than not being able to stand your ground if you don't want to actually give to the charity. Does money still reach them? Sure, maybe, but you will be personally ruined. Shame on you.

Just tell them you already give to their particular charity. They're happy you give already (not) and you're happy you don't have to feel bad by ignoring them or have to put up with their jibber jabber on donating.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just tell them you already give to their particular charity. They're happy you give already (not) and you're happy you don't have to feel bad by ignoring them or have to put up with their jibber jabber on donating.

Nope they try and get you for more. They just always come up to me with some "clever" :rolleyes: remark about my clothing. I smile say thank you and keep walking. There was one time this girl kept following me and I turned around and I said, "**** those children, how about that?" She looked horrified.

Yes, I did donate to the Ronald McDonald House thank you very much.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There used to be a particular charity (I don't recall the name) that use to prey on people near Wall St. The recruits were all young men and woman who would give you an unusual big smile and even hug you just to get you to stop and listen to them. I was nauseous from their methods.

hobo style

Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong -- I ignore the **** out of them, even if it pains me a little bit. I already have my charities and I donate to them through the Interwebz.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Their loss. **** em'. You'll get something better.

Other jobs other interviews man. Is it possible for you to ask the interviewer/s for feedback?

sorry to hear that, good luck

Bummer. Sorry to hear this. Deflating.

Sincere thanks to everyone. I know I should be grateful that I have a job. Even if I'm not where I want to be, it's better to have something that allows me to pick and choose, rather than being desperate for anything that comes along. Plus, the interview was for a mostly lateral move, albeit for more money and a more attractive type of work, so maybe this is for the best. Still, it stings. I really thought I would at least get to the second interview. I mean, I walked out thinking I completely rocked the interview, and my credentials are perfect for what they want.

I've thought about asking for feedback, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

This happened to a friend a couple of months ago, and a mutual friend (we all went to B school together) was one of the panel who was interviewing him, so that was a really awkward situation. Eventually it came out that Candidate Q had an executive champion who overrode the panel's judgement and picked his guy anyway. The happy ending was that Friend One just started at his new position last week (I think). Except that Friend One is Never 'Happy', but he's cool and hilarious so we all get along.

Sorry to hear this, but as Thomas posts, sometimes there are reasons that have nothing to do with your merits that other candidates are chosen. Sounds like that may be the case with you. I wish you better luck looking elsewhere.

Thanks, guys. I suppose I hadn't really thought of that; it certainly makes me feel better. There could be someone out there who was already on the short list, so to speak.

I also have to keep in mind that I was applying in an area (Atlanta) that has seen double-digit unemployment since pretty much the start of the recession. There's no telling who I'm competing against, and there's not much I can do if someone comes in with similar credentials and considerably more experience. Or someone who would do the job for cheaper.

Man, I am sorry. Not a good feeling. I have a potential new job in the works, but my gut is telling me it's slipping away. Because I'm out of town I can't meet with the person who's hiring. She interviewed me previously, so hoping that the "Hey I still want the job" reminder I e-mailed today is sufficient.

Thanks, Conne. Good luck hanging on to the new job.

sorry MrG :(
that sucks, i know the feeling. they are stoopid for passing you up. if its helps your ego at all, i totally would have hired you.

Thanks, Stitch.

So, uh, does that new place you're at have any openings?

I don't think it's fair to blame charities for your boners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads