• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Automatic Watch

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Try the Max Bill watches made by Junghans. I got mine for $290 but the price has risen somewhat. Quality is ok, it's a manual wind but you don't get sapphire crystal, only acrylic for the watch face (? the term slips my mind), meaning it does scratch quite easily. http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...474_null_shop_ The Nomos are beautiful but I hear that the quality control can be iffy with them i.e. the hands and batons are not so neatly painted. If you get one, inspect it carefully and kick up a fuss if it's not right.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Archimede isn't particularly thin, though. The Stowa automatics are about the same thickness, and the manuals a good deal thinner. They start around 300 euros, last I checked. Some manual winds maybe slightly less.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf.org
Try the Max Bill watches made by Junghans. I got mine for $290 but the price has risen somewhat. Quality is ok, it's a manual wind but you don't get sapphire crystal, only acrylic for the watch face (? the term slips my mind), meaning it does scratch quite easily.

I got one of those as a present and I don't think it was that much. It is a nice looking watch although it could never be called thin. I prefer manual wind watches.

bcate3

Reaction score
yfyf.org;721810 said:
Try the Max Bill watches made by Junghans. I got mine for $290 but the price has risen somewhat. Quality is ok, it's a manual wind but you don't get sapphire crystal, only acrylic for the watch face (? the term slips my mind), meaning it does scratch quite easily.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...474_null_shop_

I don't think the use of acrylic is necessarily a sign of poor quality but a choice to be faithful to the original design. That was Tag Heuer's rationale anyway when it did a reedition of the original Carrera. I like the Max Bill, btw, and have toyed with the idea of buying one in a black dial. The Chrono is also very attractive.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I got one of those as a present and I don't think it was that much. It is a nice looking watch although it could never be called thin. I prefer manual wind watches.

They make an automatic and a manual wind version. I have the manual wind version and its definitely the thinnest watches I own. The automatic version could be thicker but I've never seen one in real life.

Interesting point about using acrylic to be faithful to the original design. Nonetheless, I wish for sturdier crystal. I have a modern Omega Seamaster and a few vintage watches. The vintage watches tend to have some sort of plastic for the crystal that inevitably gets chipped or scratched in day to day use. The Seamaster has a sapphire crystal and it is still pristine after 10 years of use.

And ... I just found this: http://www.crystalfit.com/

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
I have a Zenith Class Automatique which is a very thin automatic watch.
I have it on a black strap and it is a dressy alternative to my other automatic watches. I am very happy with it.

JLC is also a great choice.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The Archimede isn't particularly thin, though. The Stowa automatics are about the same thickness, and the manuals a good deal thinner. They start around 300 euros, last I checked. Some manual winds maybe slightly less.
I initially started the thread to find a watch to complement my TAG Heuer Monaco, but I must say I really like the looks of the Stowa Airman No Logo and the Archimede M!

I am not a "watch person," and I had not been aware of German brands like Stowa and Archimede (and Sinn and Nomo). Thank you again, Forumites. I like the whole historical connection to the flieger watch thing, too.

A follow on question: what makes Stowa worth more than a comparable Archimede? I understand that the Archimede movement is unmodified, but does Stowa have other, better features.

Also, is it worthwhile to upgrade the Stowa with a COSC chronograph-certified movement? Even with the upgrade, the price of the Stowa is well within the budget I specified earlier (although the Dollar continues to fall against the Euro, so the price keeps going up).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I upgraded my Stowa Ikarus Airman to the chronometer...I'm not one to set my watch to the Atomic Clock and check on it to +/- 3 sec/day; but, I figure why not get the best available?

WSW

Reaction score
The MUT is now a little over 5k, retail. JLC has been increasing prices lately, but even with the increase, the watch is still a steal at that price, considering ultra thins from other high caliber makers will run several grand more.

FYI, I paid $3750 for mine last Dec, so that number might help in gauging an appropriate discounted price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads