• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These Oxfords - Good price?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a pair of black oxford shoes - my parents donated the horrible old rubber-soled pair that was my former excuse to a cousin, and now I need some! I'm looking at these Loakes: Dorchesters, from the 1880 Mayfair Line I believe. I can score them for 85 pounds, so about ~$160. Worth it? Wait for something better? I don't need it now, but I do need a shoe like this - I have no proper dress shoes!!

photo3.jpg

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I hate having to pay too much for black shoes - but I guess everyone needs to have at least a pair. The price is good. I would probably buy them if I were in your situation. Although I would suggest that if given a choice of color the burnished chestnut looks stunning:
http://www.brogueshoes.co.uk/Loake-1880.html

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have no experience with the 1880s or any calf Loakes, but from what I know about them, I think that's a pretty good deal if they fit you and your needs.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Augusto: Are those from Herring Shoes? They sometimes sell seconds for even less. I have a few pairs of Loakes and they're very good value for money, IME. Solid, but not very exciting - a bit like Allen-Edmonds, I suppose.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Augusto: Are those from Herring Shoes?

They sometimes sell seconds for even less.

I have a few pairs of Loakes and they're very good value for money, IME. Solid, but not very exciting - a bit like Allen-Edmonds, I suppose.

I believe those are seconds from Herring. That's the price Herring has for those in seconds.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Yeah, Herring...the chestnut do look great, BUT I need black shoes!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Yeah, Herring...the chestnut do look great, BUT I need black shoes!

I think for black shoes you can score a better shoe for a better price online (ebay or SF).
I would not touch Loake at any price unless of course you MUST have black shoes next week.

Don't be surprised if UPS currier service that Herring uses would slap you with another 30 -40 bucks of import duties.

Herring uses shipping service that often makes custom agents to charge duties on the total.

I ended up paying $30.0 more per pair.

So to sum it up: Second quality Loake for 160+ or possibly 190.00 is hardly a good deal.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
I hate having to pay too much for black shoes - but I guess everyone needs to have at least a pair.
rolleyes.gif

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
photo3.jpg

On a tangential matter, I don't know why Loake have started using that nasty shaped rubber quarter on the new "Mayfair Last" 1880s when the old ones had a conventional small rubber segment. For me, one of the advantages of a combination heel rather than a wholly rubber toplift is a better aesthetic when seen from the edge.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking on Ebay or phoning the Allen Edmonds outlet for black Byrons as they're discontinued you can get them on the cheap.

Borky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I think for black shoes you can score a better shoe for a better price online (ebay or SF).
I would not touch Loake at any price unless of course you MUST have black shoes next week.

Are they really that bad? Surely it beats all the dept store crap ie. kenneth cole, cole haan, etc. Are people on here just jaded or are Loakes generally poor shoes?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
rolleyes.gif

Are your eyes really stuck like that, or were you trying to say people need no black shoes, or what? These responses are really not very helpful.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Are your eyes really stuck like that, or were you trying to say people need no black shoes, or what? These responses are really not very helpful.

Tomasso's sarcasm is warranted in this case imo. He's saying the opposite i.e. that black shoe haters should give it a rest.

At any rate, it's your fault for giving him that smiley.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
Are they really that bad? Surely it beats all the dept store crap ie. kenneth cole, cole haan, etc. Are people on here just jaded or are Loakes generally poor shoes?
Loakes are really not that bad - the main line shoes that CT sold were constructed pretty well, but the leather was not great.

However, if you're verging into $190 territory after duties, etc., he does have a point - there's no real reason not to get discounted Park Aves or other Allen Edmonds. The Loakes aren't particularly better looking or anything, and may actually cost more.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
laugh.gif
Tomasso's sarcasm is warranted in this case imo.

Then explain what he meant to me, please, because it was much too vague for my limited brain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads