• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There's a blazer I'm interested in... BUT

RyanR7

Reaction score
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-light-brown-plain/C942I.html?cgid=Jackets

Suitsupply jackets are much different in sizing fit compared to other brands out there. Specifically for this one I'm looking at, the smallest size I can get for my height and measurements is a 36S. The shoulders

Shoulders Chest Upper Waist Sleeve Back Length
36S 17.3 40.6 37.4 32.2 28

What I find interesting about this is for a 36S of their jacket size, the chest is at 40.6 inches. So everything is bigger.

My measurements are:

Shoulders 18 inches (I'm sure my shoulders will fit)
Chest 37 inches
Upper waist 32 inches

So obviously I'm going to bring this jacket to a tailor. The question is, is it possible to tailor this jacket to fit my body?

Questions:

How much can I take in the jacket? I'm a 37S so the ideal chest size would be around 37 inches.

How much can I take in the torso area (upper waist)?

The sleeves have real functioning buttons. Is it possible to tailor them shorter?

Same question for Back Length. Would it pose a problem running into the lower pockets of the jacket by cutting it shorter?

I need someone who really knows there stuff. I really need your help all of you who know your fashion dapper game really well.

Astaroth

Reaction score
If your chest physically measures 37" then your ideal jacket is not going to be 37" in size.

A size "37" jacket is to FIT a chest that measures 37" and doesnt mean the jacket itself is 37". If it were it would be stretched the second you put it on given it itself has volume and would give you no space to move at all

A good tailor can fix most fit issue but if its cost effective is another question as at some point you get to the point of retailoring the whole jacket in which case you may as well have had bespoke. Whilst a tailor can only give you a guide before seeing you in the item why not ask your chosen tailor what they think?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Most RTW coat-makers cut the coat chest to be 4 inches bigger than the sized chest measure. Some slim fits will make it only 3 inches bigger. If your chest is 37, you probably want a coat with a 41 inch chest.

You've tried this jacket on, right? If not, I'd be very careful if my shoulders were .7 inches broader than the coat's shoulder measurement. That means you have .35 of an inch to fit in the sleevehead on either side. That sounds fine in theory, but if this is all prior to try-on, all it takes is one different method of measuring for you to end up with a coat whose shoulders don't fit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately SuitSupply offers free shipping and free returns, so you have little to lose by trying it on. Do not get it tailored, however, unless you and your tailor think it is worth altering.

Specifically:
1. agree with Testudo_Aubreii that you should be careful about the shoulders. It's not just about the shoulder width but also whether the size of the armhole will be large enough for your shoulder/upper arm. Shoulders in particular are difficult to alter well and rarely worth it.

2. you may not need to alter the chest. It can be taken in by about 1 inch in circumference without too much trouble. Same with the waist. Be careful not to suppress the waist too much as you don't want an hourglass-shaped jacket.

3. shortening the jacket body significantly (say more than 1/2 inch) is typically not a good idea as it is likely to throw the visual balance of the jacket off. The patch pockets could be moved upwards to compensate (but of course the buttoning point can't be changed, so shortening the jacket in a way lowers the buttoning point visually), or the jacket shortened by only a small amount, but again, ask yourself whether either of these options is worth the trouble.

4. sleeves with working buttons cannot be shortened too much at the sleeve, since the buttonholes have been cut and cannot be moved. You don't want the last button to be too close to the end of the sleeve--that looks strange. If you need more than ~0.5-0.75 inches (you'd have to look at the actual sleeves to know) then the sleeves would have to be shortened at the shoulder, which is again probably not worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads