• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Wrestler" go see it.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
How the hell did they get him that big? Controlled roiding? Hard to imagine he got thaaat big naturally for the role.

my roommate subscribes to "men's journal" and in it there's an interview where he talks about that, he doesn't admit to it but he says something like "when you're playing a wrestler, you've got to live like a wrestler." it's a pretty funny interview though.

Originally Posted by Get Smart
and it reinforces the stereotype that New Jersey is a dismal bleak state that you'd never want to visit.

my thoughts when watching this film exactly! i was like "this is everything i hate about jersey."

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To acquire the physique of a wrestler he pushed himself to the limit. (Officially, he did it with twice-daily workouts with a former Israeli cage fighter and seven meals a day, but when I ask if he also used steroids or human growth hormone, he smiles conspiratorially and says, “When I’m a wrestler, I behave like a wrestler.”)

http://www.mensjournal.com/mickey-rourke/3

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
If I remember correctly, the Oscars often favor women who play hookers and other edgy characters.

I think the opposite is usually true

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
This was great, Mickey Rourke totally transformed into The Ram....never did you think this was an actor playing the character. Tomei was really good too, and damn at her age her body is really damn smokin Overall a depressing film, which is cool.....and it reinforces the stereotype that New Jersey is a dismal bleak state that you'd never want to visit.
Mickey Rourke is the ram. Haha. Rourke seemed quite at home playing the guy who everyone loved in the 80s, and who the world forgot in the 90s, who started doing things to harm his body (boxing) to stay in the spotlight. Really great movie though. Rourke deserved the golden globe he won. Tomei was fantastic as well. I think Winslett should be nominated for Revolutionary Road to be honest as far as best supporting actress is concerned, although that's weird because it was like 50/50. I was very surprised how much i liked it though. I figured it'd be a good movie, but i was more than pleased. I won't be upset if it wins anything (like i would for ben button or if anyone from slumdog wins some kind of acting award) Still brutally depressing though
frown.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I found perplexing and somewhat implausible in the plot was the fact that "Randy the Ram" had obviously been a top man (somewhat like Hulk Hogan) in the 1980s, when professional wrestling had a big revival and was very popular, yet he is living in miserable poverty 20 years later. I thought those guys made pretty good money--not like the purses top professional boxers get but still good six-figure incomes or more. The fact that he had gone from riches to rags in two decades probably should at least have been accounted for in the plot.

On the whole, though, it was a movie I enjoyed seeing although I wouldn't rate it quite as highly as some of the other most acclaimed movies of late.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Mickey Rourke is the ram. Haha. Rourke seemed quite at home playing the guy who everyone loved in the 80s, and who the world forgot in the 90s, who started doing things to harm his body (boxing) to stay in the spotlight.

Yeah, also, like 5 ill-advised plastic surgeries on his face.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
One thing I found perplexing and somewhat implausible in the plot was the fact that "Randy the Ram" had obviously been a top man (somewhat like Hulk Hogan) in the 1980s, when professional wrestling had a big revival and was very popular, yet he is living in miserable poverty 20 years later. I thought those guys made pretty good money--not like the purses top professional boxers get but still good six-figure incomes or more. The fact that he had gone from riches to rags in two decades probably should at least have been accounted for in the plot.

Sadly, making a lot of money has never meant that you are smart, or place your trust in the right people.

You'd think that people like Tyson and Holyfield would have money left too, but that isn't really the case.

emptym

Reaction score
Late to the party, but I just saw this. Very moving. Marisa Tomei is... also very moving, shaking, stirring.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, Randy's tale is incredibly common in professional wrestling. The majority of superstars from the 1980s and early 1990s are either dead, retired, or struggling to get by. The Hulk Hogans and Ric Flairs of the world are quite scarce.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the movie for a 2nd time today... first time i saw it the theatre was empty... this time it was absolutely packed. Must be the Oscar hype.

Anyway... the movie is better the 1st time seeing it. However, the 2nd time I noticed the "Jesus" theme more and also the ending was more enjoyable.

There really is some kind of Jesus last days kind of thing going on. Did anyone notice the tattoo of Jesus on the back of Randy the Ram's back? All together there must have been 4 or 5 Jesus references in the movie.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Actually, Randy's tale is incredibly common in professional wrestling. The majority of superstars from the 1980s and early 1990s are either dead, retired, or struggling to get by. The Hulk Hogans and Ric Flairs of the world are quite scarce.

There are more Jake the Snake Roberts and British Bulldogs in pro-wrestling than Hogans and Flairs.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have been around pro wrestlers my whole life and it was startlingly accurate.
now the guys may be better situated financially, but for most, it's signing autogrtaphs at comic shows and wrestling in high school gyms.

On the whole, though, it was a movie I enjoyed seeing although I wouldn't rate it quite as highly as some of the other most acclaimed movies of late.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads