• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width)

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay Gentlemen,

You guys have no clue how stoked I am over this thread.
biggrin.gif

If your feet look like this:
flintoes.jpg

...then you are at home here...
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, how do you men feel about organizing some group MTO's in wide widths from some of the makers such as C&J and Carmina for instance?
great.gif

In shell cordovan perhaps?
mwink[1].gif

Thoughts???

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
G&G?

Anyone for Vass? They do wide for any MTO, but I'm happy to do a group.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G?

Anyone for Vass? They do wide for any MTO, but I'm happy to do a group.

All of the above!

I know that some of the makers will only waive MTO fee's when there is a group that is wanting ALL wide widths on the order.

I wish I would have found this thread earlier.

But, if there is enough interest, I can muster up enough for another special makeup.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a Carmina GMTO through Skoaktie. I'm a 10.5 3E US in AE and Alden Barrie, and have lusted over Carmina shoes for years, but now with the currency rates, a GMTO would be in my price range.

Can we get 6 EEEs?? I'm pretty open to any style, blucher, boot monk (maybe not bal, though I could be persuaded). Calf, grain or suede is cool, I'm open to colors, etc.

Too bad they won't do shell for GMTO, that cognac NST with the heavy stitch is so killing. Maybe a suede or grain version?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Let me email Vass. And get two or three more people, I will find us a wonder.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am in for something in Cordovan.

Let me know what you find out.

NMWA can and will do MTO's through Vass.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do Vass go for these days?

LoKey

Reaction score
I'd potentially be interested in a tanker, monk, or u-wing boot. There was a G&G Thorpe in a burgundy highland grain that had a couple of people interested in a wider width at one point. G&G is just north of my budget at this time so I'd love a similar make-up in Vass or Carmina if it exists. Also, there's another SF member who's an authorized dealer for Vass who ships to the U.S. and the prices are very reasonable. I'm not sure how many we would have to have for a discount though.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I was thinking a tanker myself, actually. Vass haven't been doing shell boots for a while, but maybe could be persuaded for a short one like that...and it might scratch Pepper's NST itch?

Anyway, if we potentially have four for starters, I'll get onto Vass. But no more details or price discussion in this thread; AV sensitivities and all. I will PM all when I get a response.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a Vass order as well, depending on the make up. I'll go check out their tanker designs but am open to other ideas too.

I keep feeling like I need to place another Carmina order with the exchange rates as they are.

rc121

Reaction score

I'd be interested in a Vass order as well, depending on the make up. I'll go check out their tanker designs but am open to other ideas too.

I keep feeling like I need to place another Carmina order with the exchange rates as they are.
I might be interested as well, but what Carmina do u find wide enough at 3E? I'm an 8 3E in Allen Edmonds and have an extra wide rain in 7.5 and still dont feel its wide enough. The fact that its suede makes it wearable but certainly not ideal. C&J needs 12 for a GMTO, but you can get any width

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be interested as well, but what Carmina do u find wide enough at 3E? I'm an 8 3E in Allen Edmonds and have an extra wide rain in 7.5 and still dont feel its wide enough. The fact that its suede makes it wearable but certainly not ideal. C&J needs 12 for a GMTO, but you can get any width

Its my understanding that C&J will only do group MTO in all the same widths....if this were not true I would have already been on an order or 2....

I will say that this is what makes AE and Alden so appealing....wide width availability.

Perhaps we can get Skoak to get us a bit of a discount on a G&G cordo balmoral boot?

In burgundy...?

rc121

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was not under this impression. I'm pretty sure the width was the only thing that could be changed on the whiskey shell GMTO's, but not 100%.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 9.5EEE in the AE 5 last and have two pairs of Rain lasted shoes in 9.5 UK (regular width) that fit, though required some break-in and are definitely a little long. Was thinking a wide fitting on Rain or potentially even Forest would be great, though sounds like that wouldn't work for you?

rc121

Reaction score
I guess my point was that this would be an opportunity for us wide footed guys to order shoes that actually fit, as opposed to ordering Carmina's that are wider than standard but not really 3E. Vass and C&J do a true H/G width which I think would be more equivalent to a 3E.

In my opinion, the wide version of rain brings it to an E width and then you'd still have to size up .5 to get a "poor mans" 2E.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics