• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

need some feedback, what do you guys think?

I think none of what you are wearing goes together. The shoes look too dressy for the jeans and shirt, the shirt doesn't quite go with the jacket. I think you can wear those shoes with the MA-1, but I think gettoasty has the right idea. Something minimal, like this?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think none of what you are wearing goes together. The shoes look too dressy for the jeans and shirt, the shirt doesn't quite go with the jacket. I think you can wear those shoes with the MA-1, but I think gettoasty has the right idea. Something minimal, like this?

I don't see myself wearing that.

Why are you guys so stuck on MA1 being worn with dress clothes, its not a dressy jacket at all. Only thing linking it to dressy is it being wool.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a wonderful fit, but like, also a totally different look - I wouldn't wear that if I was going out shopping or to a casual lunch or something. I think there's a case to be made for the fit definitely looking better with either a pair of sharp trousers or casual shoes, but I don't think every fit needs to be the perfect example of minimalistic congruity - it's fun seeing the messier, casual outfits with individual pieces taken out of the context we usually see them. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule that Mr. Stephan Schneider requires his shirts to be worn with trousers

I'm also a sucker for a nice pair of faded raws (that's what got me into "fashion" in the first place), nice to see a well-worn pair of Nudies crop up in a fit not from 2008

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a wonderful fit, but like, also a totally different look - I wouldn't wear that if I was going out shopping or to a casual lunch or something. I think there's a case to be made for the fit definitely looking better with either a pair of sharp trousers or casual shoes, but I don't think every fit needs to be the perfect example of minimalistic congruity - it's fun seeing the messier, casual outfits with individual pieces taken out of the context we usually see them. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule that Mr. Stephan Schneider requires his shirts to be worn with trousers

I'm also a sucker for a nice pair of faded raws (that's what got me into "fashion" in the first place), nice to see a well-worn pair of Nudies crop up in a fit not from 2008

You hit the nail on the head!

I think what needs to happen is either
1. i switch the shirt
2. switch shoes

That will make the outfit flow and seems to be the reoccurring thing everyone says to change. Changing to dress pants would make it look like the above fit, which is nice, but not for me.

To everyone aldens + raw jeans always look great.

Anyways thanks for all the feedback

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spark notes: http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=15135&g2_page=1

The combination of things is schizophrenic and not in a good way. He can wear a hanes cotton tank with a ketchup stain, ricky Os falling crotch pants, spiked docs (right foot) and then marsell sandals (left food), and top it off with chokers worn as anklets. We just wont say it looks idea or that great.

Shame on you NN for encouraging this behaviour. The few times I remember u doing this sort of pairing, the jeans were a dark dark color and a much slimmer taper and sans alden.

But SK, you like your alden + jean combo, if you want to stick with that thats ok. Why not toss on a sweater instead of the shirt or go with a t shirt. I think that would fit the casual look better?

Although, again, and I know this falls on deaf ears, the aldens don't look casual and are probs the most out of place item. But fuggit, if you like you like, just giving out our SF hive mind perspective

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Spark notes: http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=15135&g2_page=1

The combination of things is schizophrenic and not in a good way. He can wear a hanes cotton tank with a ketchup stain, ricky Os falling crotch pants, spiked docs (right foot) and then marsell sandals (left food), and top it off with chokers worn as anklets. We just wont say it looks idea or that great.

Shame on you NN for encouraging this behaviour. The few times I remember u doing this sort of pairing, the jeans were a dark dark color and a much slimmer taper and sans alden.

But SK, you like your alden + jean combo, if you want to stick with that thats ok. Why not toss on a sweater instead of the shirt or go with a t shirt. I think that would fit the casual look better?

Although, again, and I know this falls on deaf ears, the aldens don't look casual and are probs the most out of place item. But fuggit, if you like you like, just giving out our SF hive mind perspective

Seems like you stick to some sort of a non existent rule book.

Dress shoes + casual clothes looks fine. In my case i need more synergy and i understand what needs to change... appreciate the input.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, its just patterns ive noticed that I like versus I dont like in fits. I guess that makes it rulebook like.

At the end of the day though you know i endorse wear what you want.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Changing to dress pants would make it look like the above fit, which is nice, but not for me.

To everyone aldens + raw jeans always look great.

Fair enough on point 1, I only mentioned that fit because I thought you were wearing shoes, and not boots, and so the suggestion was just based off of your footwear. Still, while Aldens might look great with raw jeans, I don't think they look great with your jeans.

They just look so glossy in relation to those jeans. It might not be as noticeable if the jeans were less faded, or darker.

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mok, I like bucket hats but I rarely wear them, I think they need big hair and/or big facial hair to look good, yours looks good but I like your other hats more

sk, I like the fit and agree aldens are fine with jeans in general but for that particular fit I would prefer something with a commando sole

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoK, I am no a huge fran of that hat, but it work with the look you have going there, imo.

Sinnedk, not feeling the footwear there. A more matte leather would be much more coherent.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sk, I like the fit and agree aldens are fine with jeans in general but for that particular fit I would prefer something with a commando sole

I think Docs could work, even when they can be just as shiny and sleek, but there is a ruggedness to them that I think would suit the MA-1 better. I think that might be my problem with the fit. The MA-1 is tough, and sort of utilitarian, but then you have the fairly colourful and relaxed check shirt underneath. You have these sleek boots that look like what you would see an MCer wear, but they're paired with relaxed looking jeans, that look like the kind of pre-distressed jeans you'd see in Old Navy. Everything seems to contrast with one another. While that picture I posted has contrast, the outfit works because most of it is consistent save that one item (the jacket). It reminds me of a Ervell fit:

The model makes the outfit a bit more casual with the socks, and rolled up cuffs, and no belt, but it's still a conservative look that works alongside the more casual MA-1.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robpasco