• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wedding outfit - shirt,tie and sweater(jumper) combo

JamesBond08

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I'm attending a wedding as a guest in a two weeks time and I would appreciate some tips on what outfit to wear.
I am thinking to avoid the classic suit and tie combo and instead of that wear some dress pants with shirt/ tie/ sweater(jumper) combo. So please give me tips what do you think about the idea and what combinations of colors would fit?

Later on I can maybe take a photo of my ideal combo and show you for comments!

I appreciate any advice I can get :)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may have come to the wrong place. I would guess that most people on this forum decry the slipping standards of menswear. If you don't want to wear a suit to a wedding (unless of course it's clearly established that it's an informal ceremony like on a beach or underwater or something) then when are you ever going to wear a suit?

If you want to look like a schoolboy by all means shirt, tie and v-neck sweater. If you want to look like a grown adult with at least a modicum of style, get suited up. There's a long thread on here about wedding attire but put simply if you have a well-fitting navy or gray suit, white or light blue shirt, black shoes, belt and dark socks, tastefully colourful tie and white pocket square you'll be dressed appropriately for the occasion and may possibly be among the most stylish men in the room while not taking attention away from the bride and groom.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I'm attending a wedding as a guest in a two weeks time and I would appreciate some tips on what outfit to wear.
I am thinking to avoid the classic suit and tie combo and instead of that wear some dress pants with shirt/ tie/ sweater(jumper) combo. So please give me tips what do you think about the idea and what combinations of colors would fit?

Later on I can maybe take a photo of my ideal combo and show you for comments!

I appreciate any advice I can get :)
@Thin White Duke was a little harsh. I think separates can look great when done right, especially for a summer wedding and I think you are right not to want to just wear your boring old business suit.

So have you considered a romper? So hot right now. http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a55287/bro-romper-test-in-real-life/

JamesBond08

Reaction score

JamesBond08

Reaction score
It’s a bit strange to as this question in the classical menswear part of this forum, isn’t it?

Nothing strange at all... I'm not sure what part of my question /attire doesnt belong to classical menswear?
I would rather say that some people hear understand the term classical menswear as very rigid and stiff

iviustang50h

Reaction score
I would just go with a suit. It's timeless, classic and shows you respect the occasion/the people involved. If you want to stand out a bit, focus on the details (type of tie, pocket square, etc.). Just don't try to outshine the groom.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are over 18, wear a suit for F's sake.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bloodybrilliant

Reaction score
Nothing strange at all... I'm not sure what part of my question /attire doesnt belong to classical menswear?
I would rather say that some people hear understand the term classical menswear as very rigid and stiff

I do not consider classical menswear very rigid and stiff but there are some occasions where you should consider that term rigid and stiff. A weeding is definitely one of theses occasions. As iviustang50h said:

I would just go with a suit. It's timeless, classic and shows you respect the occasion/the people involved. If you want to stand out a bit, focus on the details (type of tie, pocket square, etc.). Just don't try to outshine the groom.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits unless the happy couple have issued any other instruction and people are respecting their wishes. I did go to one wedding many years back when the happy couple invited people to wear tees and jeans. They did and so did most of their friends and both sets of parent: it was a good day. Their argument was very simple 'we wear suits, ties etc every day for work and so we did not want to wear working clothes (even new) on their happy day; we want everyone to enjoy themselves with us in a relaxed way. That argument cannot be controverted.

They lived very happily until the female half died when she was 50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads