• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

most of your pics are blurry and cannot comment because -- upgrade picture quality, upgrade comment quality :| I believe in you!

but i don't really care for receiving feedback or praise, it's just for "mass consumption" since people here share an interest in some items so if you get a general idea and know some of the pieces great if no oh well just trying to share my little slice of fashion key-lime pie :eek:

I just think SF is not so much a "contribute just to contribute" place, as often low-quality posts are seen as "******** up the forum," and are treated as such, no?

SF is an awesome resource once you're "in," but pretending the barrier of entry isn't high is disingenuous.There are better places for entrylevelers if he's not getting what he wants out of the place, that's all i'm saying

i think you're creating something out of nothing, the in-club isn't real. plenty of low-post contributors have been received with open arms cuz they get it right. i guess in that sense you are not incorrect, it's not really about developing with the help of others. but that's why i suggested reviving the help me thread DLester made (*ehem* DL where you at) but I'm sure plenty of people here don't care about feedback just want to share their goodies and how they look aside from stock picks or just snaps of items on the bed. Also interesting to see how such items fit into environments etc.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but i don't really care for receiving feedback or praise, it's just for "mass consumption" since people here share an interest in some items so if you get a general idea and know some of the pieces great if no oh well just trying to share my little slice of fashion key-lime pie :eek:
i think you're creating something out of nothing, the in-club isn't real. plenty of low-post contributors have been received with open arms cuz they get it right. i guess in that sense you are not incorrect, it's not really about developing with the help of others. but that's why i suggested reviving the help me thread DLester made (*ehem* DL where you at) but I'm sure plenty of people here don't care about feedback just want to share their goodies and how they look aside from stock picks or just snaps of items on the bed. Also interesting to see how such items fit into environments etc.

i agree. That's what keeps the forum interesting (that's why I keep reading it even though i haven't "evolved" past Leather/OCBD/Raw Denim/Boots). But I don't think that's what drives a lot of people to the site, and I don't think its obvious that that is what's going on in first glance.

It requires a lot of knowledge to appreciate that sort of stuff. It's hard to look at an snowman fit, for example, and realize why it's getting hyped if you're not involved in it.

As for helping people thread, i think the invisible hand of the market/forum showed SW&D people are not that interested in helping a noob not look like ****, because the general attitude here is that there's not very much you can do "out of the box" to look good (which, while I like, only really helps when you have your **** together). People **** on the "SF starter kit of AA/APC/Clarks, even though IMO that's where people should be starting, despite it being boring.

r/MFA, on the other hand, has an incredibly active user base that's incredibly friendly and helpful for a n00b starting out. Different resources for different purposes, that's all.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
maybe you're right. i don't think you need to even evolve past what you've written, each person has his/her own taste and desires and ideas of progression. but for the sake of avoid monotony this place has a penchant for the extravagant in any direction possible which i think makes it fun :D

(but admittedly inaccessible at first, as you described)

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree. That's what keeps the forum interesting (that's why I keep reading it even though i haven't "evolved" past Leather/OCBD/Raw Denim/Boots). But I don't think that's what drives a lot of people to the site, and I don't think its obvious that that is what's going on in first glance.
It requires a lot of knowledge to appreciate that sort of stuff. It's hard to look at an snowman fit, for example, and realize why it's getting hyped if you're not involved in it.
As for helping people thread, i think the invisible hand of the market/forum showed SW&D people are not that interested in helping a noob not look like ****, because the general attitude here is that there's not very much you can do "out of the box" to look good (which, while I like, only really helps when you have your **** together). People **** on the "SF starter kit of AA/APC/Clarks, even though IMO that's where people should be starting, despite it being boring.
r/MFA, on the other hand, has an incredibly active user base that's incredibly friendly and helpful for a n00b starting out. Different resources for different purposes, that's all.

I think the main issue is that the noobs come in and post threads asking questions that are easily answered if they spent more than a half a second on the site before they posted. A little bit goes a long way.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the main issue is that the noobs come in and post threads asking questions that are easily answered if they spent more than a half a second on the site before they posted. A little bit goes a long way.

Though I will say that my life is much richer now that there's a "My mom shows off her SEXY...!?" thread on SW&D.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
nobody should ever have to go to reddit, for any reason, ever

I will donate old Uniqlo oxfords to n00bs here if it means they don't go there

hipster

Reaction score

nobody should ever have to go to reddit, for any reason, ever
I will donate old Uniqlo oxfords to n00bs here if it means they don't go there

never even heard of reddit. can i has uniqlo oxford?

Ben Cooper

Reaction score
That's not the tyhpe of "contribution" that people on SF value. Most people want pictures, generally of more upscale or "interesting" stuff. Plus, your description doesn't sound very good, no offense.
Unlike most fora, SF is very much not a "contribute for contribution's sake" but rather a "**** on contributors who aren't up to par" sorta place, which seems douchey, but at the same time, actively discourages mediocrity and raises the overall value of the posts for the people who spend a lot of time here. It's generally advised that noobs lurk a lot and learn the ropes rather than try to contribute in any meaningful way.
If you want a more "beginner's" forum, r/malefashionadvice on reddit is much "nicer" and generally more "downmarket" compared to SW&D, but while you're there, recognize how it could get really monotonous after a while.

Oh I'm sorry, please accept my sincerest apologies...

No offense taken to you commenting on the description that's fine, I wasn't expecting you all to say 'Wow that's amazing!' as I know it's not amazing myself but at the moment I can't really do alot better. Guess I'd change the polo for a shirt but anyway, what I don't appreciate is the "downmarket" remark. I stumbled onto this forum really and thought I'd join to see how I could improve my wardrobe as I have no idea when it comes to higher fashion. I got some good suggestions but then I get you talking down to me for no other reason than because I'm new and don't have expensive gear. Forum's are for sharing and I was just trying to get involved.

Maybe I should come back when I've got more money and I'm more douchey like you.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
just come back with a camera ;)

(3 pixel minimum resolution pls)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No offense taken to you commenting on the description that's fine, I wasn't expecting you all to say 'Wow that's amazing!' as I know it's not amazing myself but at the moment I can't really do alot better. Guess I'd change the polo for a shirt but anyway, what I don't appreciate is the "downmarket" remark. I stumbled onto this forum really and thought I'd join to see how I could improve my wardrobe as I have no idea when it comes to higher fashion. I got some good suggestions but then I get you talking down to me for no other reason than because I'm new and don't have expensive gear. Forum's are for sharing and I was just trying to get involved.

There's nothing wrong with dressing downmarket. You're reading judgement where there was none. All I was saying is this forum tends much more in the region of more up-market, mostly because its more fun to discuss. You can look totally fine in all Lands End Canvas/J.Crew/Uniqlo/Target/H&M stuff, but there isn't a lot of discussion of those brands outside of a few brand-specific threads (and even they kind of suck for general advice) and you might feel frustrated.

Ben Cooper

Reaction score
That's not the tyhpe of "contribution" that people on SF value. Most people want pictures, generally of more upscale or "interesting" stuff. Plus, your description doesn't sound very good, no offense.
Unlike most fora, SF is very much not a "contribute for contribution's sake" but rather a "**** on contributors who aren't up to par" sorta place, which seems douchey, but at the same time, actively discourages mediocrity and raises the overall value of the posts for the people who spend a lot of time here. It's generally advised that noobs lurk a lot and learn the ropes rather than try to contribute in any meaningful way.
If you want a more "beginner's" forum, r/malefashionadvice on reddit is much "nicer" and generally more "downmarket" compared to SW&D, but while you're there, recognize how it could get really monotonous after a while.

There's nothing wrong with dressing downmarket. You're reading judgement where there was none. All I was saying is this forum tends much more in the region of more up-market, mostly because its more fun to discuss. You can look totally fine in all Lands End Canvas/J.Crew/Uniqlo/Target/H&M stuff, but there isn't a lot of discussion of those brands outside of a few brand-specific threads (and even they kind of suck for general advice) and you might feel frustrated.

OK fair enough I can see where you're coming from, I'll retract my 'douchey' comment.

Maybe this isn't the place for me for where I am at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads