• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way They Wore: Images from the Past

Enfusia

Reaction score
In the past, some members here used to post photos of how people dressed during the Golden Age of CM, often around a certain theme, such as Italian conservative business dress or formalwear. I feel that in the last few years, this forum has become increasingly about business casual, hashtag menswear, shopping, and shoes.

I want to revive some of that old StyleForum spirit by having a thread dedicated to just images of the past. These can be photos of how people dressed or they can be scans from Apparel Arts. Feel free to add comments about what you find interesting about the outfits.

I will add some photos shortly to start us off.
I am all for it. I'm a huge fan of the golden era but not much for business casual.
Question: You said you'd start a thread on it but now many seem to be posting here. Clarification please?

Then, when you do start the new thread please post the url to it here. I would not want to miss it.

Thank you, Patrick

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am all for it. I'm a huge fan of the golden era but not much for business casual.
Question: You said you'd start a thread on it but now many seem to be posting here. Clarification please?

Then, when you do start the new thread please post the url to it here. I would not want to miss it.

Thank you, Patrick

Two things here.
1) I think you miss understand the original post, He was trying to revive an older Style Forum type thread by reviving interest in the golden age of CM. His mention of bus cas was a lament. The thread he said he would start is this one.
2) you might be yelling into the void, as @dww is on hiatus (possibly permanently)

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Why?

I can only go by what he wrote in another thread back in April.....
I've been off StyleForm for about a week because I think I need a break from this site. But wanted to log in to thank you for resurrecting this thread. I really enjoyed reading through all of it. The posts from Vox, Manton, Tuttee, JefferyD, Sator, and many others really strike a contrast to what StyleForum has become today. I know I've beaten this drum too many times and many people are sick of hearing it. But I really feel there's a stark contrast between old threads and current threads.

He still has the website that updates occasionally, and has taken to IG to basically make fun of current men's style culture....

Enfusia

Reaction score
Two things here.
1) I think you miss understand the original post, He was trying to revive an older Style Forum type thread by reviving interest in the golden age of CM. His mention of bus cas was a lament. The thread he said he would start is this one.
2) you might be yelling into the void, as @dww is on hiatus (possibly permanently)
Thank you!
It was rather strange. I was on the thread about Athliesure wear and this top of thread popped up I read it presuming I was still on the Athliesure one and replied. Hence my post not making any sense.
Thank you for pointing this out.

I'm a big fan of the golden era. I cannot speak for older vs newer threads, as I'm pretty new around here, although I had been a lurker for about 4 years or so? Before one thread really made me want to speak my mind on it.

From what I've seen of the forum, most if not all seem to have a passion for the men's style of years gone bye and attempt to carry at least some of those elements into the future.
Which for me is a good thing, a very good thing.

Have a great day and thanks for commenting on my irregular post.

Patrick

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
roddy mcdowell malibu house parties circa 65 , a lot of this stuff on YT

DougDevious

Reaction score
An odd place to find inspo, but I couldn't help but love this outfit worn by a french man in the 1950s.
deddc643311cf16f26b251d328a75694.png

The suit looks like a cosy flannel, the color pallete is perfect, the pattern matching is really neat, with the tie, suit, and velvet waistcoat, and oh man, why did they ever stop making printed velvet waistcoats like that? Looks beautiful. I want to recreate this someday.

DougDevious

Reaction score
I've found a good, if unconventional way to find vintage inspo, is looking for old photos of eBay, since apparently some people choose to sell their photos to the public? maybe they just don't have anyone to give it to, or they don't know who or what the photos are of, but hey, I managed to get a good few photos for something I have an odd soft spot for - 1950s/60s clip-on batwing bow ties.
1960s bow tie man.jpg
Love the sort of slouchy, floppy look here, the jacket is long, the pants are wide and unironed, and both the hat and bowtie are askew. This is peak grandpa aesthetic.
1960s bow tie man 2.jpg deee1abb4e06fe61b9c13c955416a813.jpg
You gotta remember most common men even back then didn't always follow every "rule" we now hold dear. Those boots sure are something
MAN DRINKS A SCOTCH & SODA w SANTA CLAUS BOW TIE VTG 1950s Gay Int PHOTO.jpg
This guy looks like he could be a TV producer or advertising agent. Sydney Newman vibes.

Men Bow Tie Portrait 1950s 35mm Slide Red Border Kodachrome Couch.jpg

That hairy ass leg on Michael Keaton over here.

Vintage Old Photo Handsome Young Man Suit Bowtie 1950s.jpg
Not a batwing but an undeniably charming teen in a wonderfully fitting DB tux. You'd scarcely see this level of elegance on today's teens unless they were themselves a menswear enthusiast. But I don't blame them, I blame the culture for allowing everybody to completely forget how to properly wear a suit, even their parents barely knew. I ought to start a thread inquiring how that kind of knowledge got lost even generationally.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found a good, if unconventional way to find vintage inspo, is looking for old photos of eBay, since apparently some people choose to sell their photos to the public? maybe they just don't have anyone to give it to, or they don't know who or what the photos are of, but hey, I managed to get a good few photos for something I have an odd soft spot for - 1950s/60s clip-on batwing bow ties.
View attachment 2032727
Love the sort of slouchy, floppy look here, the jacket is long, the pants are wide and unironed, and both the hat and bowtie are askew. This is peak grandpa aesthetic.
View attachment 2032725 View attachment 2032729
You gotta remember most common men even back then didn't always follow every "rule" we now hold dear. Those boots sure are something
View attachment 2032731
This guy looks like he could be a TV producer or advertising agent. Sydney Newman vibes.

View attachment 2032733

That hairy ass leg on Michael Keaton over here.

View attachment 2032735
Not a batwing but an undeniably charming teen in a wonderfully fitting DB tux. You'd scarcely see this level of elegance on today's teens unless they were themselves a menswear enthusiast. But I don't blame them, I blame the culture for allowing everybody to completely forget how to properly wear a suit, even their parents barely knew. I ought to start a thread inquiring how that kind of knowledge got lost even generationally.
Nice post…. I really like the pics of the gent in the grey hat.

DougDevious

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead, perhaps,

In my last post I mentioned Sydney Newman, and I figured I might as well share some pics of him. For those unaware, Sydney Newman was a producer for the BBC, most famously responsible for helping to create the idea for Doctor Who all the way back in the mid-1960s.
He definitely has a very striking sense of character, one that almost leans into the image of "cigar smoking tv producer". But it was the 1960s, for all I know he was the progenitor of that very archetype.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1369fe03-61ba-438d-8605-54f9b91c0c6e_900x1064.jpeg

sydney-newman-cbc.png

rHiq1YfDPXCfkig7CwUiSGSs4N2.png
Screen-Shot-2017-07-13-at-11.png

latest.png
212901.png

In the dramatized movie retelling of Doctor Who's creation, an adventure in space and time, He's played by Bryan Cox, and he wears this outfit of a gingham sport coat, polkadot bowtie, striped shirt, yellow vest, and a bold royal blue and red pocket square. Very colorful outfit with plenty of patterns, just how I tend to like.
1705111999295.png

1705112058023.png
maxresdefault.jpg

image-w856.jpg

Another picture of this portrayal with a nice brass wristwatch, red cardigan, french cuffed shirt, and some kind of ascot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics