• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
My love of Batshit Crazy watches is exemplified in these three Seiko pieces from my collection

The first watch ever designed to be worn during a space walk
The first watch ever modelled after a steering wheel
The first battery free quartz watch - because it was manually wound, for FIVE minutes per day.

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 12.39.16.png
Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 12.37.21.png
Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 12.38.40.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...are there others?

Interesting stuff. Just yesterday I saw someone posted on Reddit some kind of Seiko pop-out sun dial watch.

Edit: The Seiko in question:

2f8x9jbq9m1d1.jpeg

Last edited:

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bremont is now majority owned by Bill Ackman, a private equity vulture and he is shopping them around for sale for sure.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been receiving a lot of direct marketing, lately, from secondary market dealers and one AD offering some pretty reasonable discounts. Was wondering how widespread this is?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
...are there others?

Interesting stuff. Just yesterday I saw someone posted on Reddit some kind of Seiko pop-out sun dial watch.

Edit: The Seiko in question:

2f8x9jbq9m1d1.jpeg

This is actually a watch made for proctologists.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My love of Batshit Crazy watches is exemplified in these three Seiko pieces from my collection

The first watch ever designed to be worn during a space walk
The first battery free quartz watch - because it was manually wound, for FIVE minutes per day.

View attachment 2187799 View attachment 2187801 View attachment 2187807
My biggest regret in terms of crazy watches was never picking up a Seiko Sportura Chrono, back about 20 years ago. I thought they looked crazy and wasn’t sure if I liked it or hated it. It reminded me of something Vianney Halter had just introduced a year or two prior (and that was insanely out of reach). Unfortunately you’d have to pay 3k-4K now to get one in junk condition or not working.

And speaking about crazy watches/Halter, I remember Harry Winston went through a period where they were having different independent watchmakers making new models for them, it was like a co-branded deal. I remember some great watches were made by Max Busser, Vianney, FP Journe, before anyone really knew about these guys.

Seiko Sportura :

IMG_8683.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Submariner in London in 2000 and have never had it serviced. Lately the crown was a little hard to unscrew and I could feel a slight resistance when setting the watch. All this time (24 years!) it was running around +4 sec per day on average. Just accepted the estimate from my AD.

Not sure how the hands were scratched as the case was never opened but whatever.

1716334469121.png

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
This was the Harry Winston Opus series, started by Max Busser and continued by Hamdi Chatti, they were the high point of my Baselworld visits; in fact they were the first people I visited on Press Day every year, after the official opening.

Their swallowing by the maw of the monster that is the Swatch Group put an end to the project; which I consider a tragedy for independent watchmaking. The nearest thing we have to replace it is the project LV started at the turn of the year where they will do a co-operation with one independent watchmaker a year for the next five years (at least). The first one was with Rexhep, who obviously doesn’t need the exposure. I was asked (along with a few others) to nominate five independents with whom LV could work with in the future. So let’s see what comes along next year.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Submariner in London in 2000 and have never had it serviced. Lately the crown was a little hard to unscrew and I could feel a slight resistance when setting the watch. All this time (24 years!) it was running around +4 sec per day on average. Just accepted the estimate from my AD.

Not sure how the hands were scratched as the case was never opened but whatever.

View attachment 2188101
Accepted as in accepted their recommended replacements as well? I thought crown replacement was part of a normal service (they replaced the crown on my IWC Mk XV as part of the base service cost very recently). If the crystal is banged up, replacement sounds fine - and price seems low (I paid the same for a new crystal on my sub 14060 30 years ago). If hands and bezel looks fine for you with only minor patina I would probably keep them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accepted as in accepted their recommended replacements as well? I thought crown replacement was part of a normal service (they replaced the crown on my IWC Mk XV as part of the base service cost very recently). If the crystal is banged up, replacement sounds fine - and price seems low (I paid the same for a new crystal on my sub 14060 30 years ago). If hands and bezel looks fine for you with only minor patina I would probably keep them.
I went with all their recs except for polishing. Seemed reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78