• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TAFJIR

Reaction score
Salmon tax.
They were both salmon haha!
chopard_luc_x_revochopard-008.jpg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is such an odd watch. 42 mm too big IMO. But I think the 24 should be on top? Like it’s showing 1:08 pm with main hand and 4:08 a.m. with other hand. Why did they put the 12 on top? My brain is offended.

View attachment 1927585
Top half is daytime, with noon, when the sun is theoretically directly overhead, at the top of the dial. Conceptually, it kinda makes sense, even if it's not the conventional arrangement. It might've worked better if they'd done a light to dark gradient in the 24 hr portion of the dial.

I don't like it, but it's not the ugliest GMT I've ever seen.

pmeis

Reaction score
The internet peanut gallery has been pretty savage on the IWC Ingy. Not on its merits, but its price: "Nice watch, but should have been priced at $8K." Point taken, but if IWC sees the watch as a competitor to the Laureato, Octo Finissimo, and Alpine Eagle, it can't price the watch too low.

Hello from the Peanut Gallery. 👋
Essentially a slightly fancier Mark XX lacking a microadjust with a $5k Genta tax. Richemont trash at it’s finest.

pmeis

Reaction score
This is such an odd watch. 42 mm too big IMO. But I think the 24 should be on top? Like it’s showing 1:08 pm with main hand and 4:08 a.m. with other hand. Why did they put the 12 on top? My brain is offended.

View attachment 1927585
Certain watches deserve a larger size. If you’re going to jam that many numerals on a dial, then the extra size makes sense, even if the watch itself doesn’t.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certain watches deserve a larger size. If you’re going to jam that many numerals on a dial, then the extra size makes sense, even if the watch itself doesn’t.

That is fair, I think. I don't know, I am wavering with this one. I don't think I hate it. The dimensions are kind of interesting, reminds me a little of the 5070. I am interested in trying it on, though. The travel time pilot is an abomination.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright here are some thoughts on the Roth now that I've had it for a few hours lol :)

I am a huge fan of Daniel Roth for a few reasons…
  • I love that he was one of the first entrepreneurs to make it as an independent watchmaker.
  • He led the turnaround of Breguet! Before he revitalized their product line, they were in steep decline.
As a turnaround guy in consumer + serial consumer brand founder - I am a complete sucker for the story. It doesn’t help that I love the aesthetics of Breguet, that Roth was responsible for bringing back in the 90s. Love them so much that I’ve had three watches made by other independents heavily inspired by the aesthetic.

My initial plan was to scoop up one of the white gold references, but then this one with a beautiful salmon dial in platinum popped up at a great price from a friend I have bought a few times from before, so I couldn’t say no. Plus it’s unpolished.

What I am really impressed by, in bullets, because I am lazy 😊

-Being able to see the chronograph in action on the dial when you engage/reset, is really, really cool.

-Great anglage, no visible machining marks. Indicates the watch was hand finished instead of machine finished.

-Heat blued hands and screws. These go from almost black looking to blue as they are exposed to more light. The only hands I’ve experienced that were more dynamic are those on a Gronefeld 1941 Principia. Those hands were much larger though.

-Lots of black polishing, nice visible cotes de geneve, etc. Unfortunately my pics kind of wash this out. I used an iPhone, so not the best set up.

-The guilloche/detailing around the subdials is a nice touch.

-Case work and lugs. Really beautiful, especially once on the wrist.

Going to swap the strap out soon for something else though, it’s a little worn! Open to ideas.

Overall, highly recommend picking these up, especially given what they go for on the second hand market.

IMG_4529.jpg
IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4543-2.jpg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raisin for current air king?

That's… a great question. Super ugly and seemingly no reason to exist next to the Explorer.

Possible. That seconds hand is an eyesore. Beside that not the worst looking Rolex.
That is the reason everybody loves that watch, myself included. Otherwise it's just a fat OP.

Put it this way: that lightning bolt is Rolex having a bit of fun, in a small, somewhat restrained way.
The exact opposite of that approach is the ball-pit DJ they announced today—actually ugly, not at all subtle, unappealing.
An analogy in my mind: Apple had a smiling face greet you for years upon boot-up, and still that's the icon for the overall user interface environment (the Finder)—fun, humanizing. But they would never put comic sans as the system font.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads